Dental Work (Including Drilling) & Tinnitus — Questions and Experiences

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petloy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm preparing for my first dentist visit since getting tinnitus. I have no choice. A filling fell out of a molar. I've avoided the dentist for about ten years because, even before tinnitus, I was terrified of the dentist. Last time I went, he told me my plaque build-up was really bad, but I was too scared to make a follow-up appointment to clean them. I could kick myself for that because now I have another ten years of build-up. :cry:

2. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've only had tinnitus for like 4 months and already had to take out all four of my wisdom teeth out and although the ringing went down for 2 days it's back to what it was when I got it. They use a very high pitched tool which I think was the drill. So maybe there wont be a change for you after the dentist. I'll update you if I get an increase if you want.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
    4. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session, of course on top of years of performance
      Been reading through this and similar threads all week leading up to my procedure, this just happens to the biggest one on this site so I wanted to add to the many other positive responses here.

I got two small fillings on two bottom teeth furthest to the right side. I'm paying close attention to my T because of all the anxiety I have surrounding loud noise, but I haven't noticed any remarkable difference.

Asked for a low-speed drill and even despite my extremely sensitive hearing I don't think it was all that loud - I wish I measured it during the process but it's a bit hard to pick up a phone and look through your apps while in the chair lol...

Definitely DO NOT wear earplugs - I explained to the dentist and the assistant that I took my headphones off earlier in the procedure because it made the drilling louder, but I did prefer keeping my ears plugged when the drilling was not taking place- I suppose I worded it weird and they misunderstood because then they put foam plugs in my ears and continued to work -drilling was MUCH more uncomfortably loud plugged and with headphones due to the occlusion effect. Despite the misunderstanding, my dentist was really cool and understanding- No problems whatsoever accommodating my request for 5 seconds drilling, 10 seconds off, so forth.

Biggest annoyance now is just waiting for this dang numbness to wear off so I can eat and drink somethin.. It's been hours -_-

If anyone needs a dentist in the DC area, feel free to quote reply or message me and I'll message you that information. I try not to come to this forum often but I'm very thankful for it nonetheless. The advice and positive stories helped me at a really dark time, and there is still a varying degree of struggle on many days but I appreciate that I'm not alone and hope everyone is living best they can. Thank you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Blodorn
      Inactive

Blodorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Acoustic Trauma
      I met my dentist 2 weeks ago, about 1 month after my trauma, for a cavity.

Well, nothing happened, no spike, no reaction. In fact, the anesthetic killed my tinnitus for 4h+.

I will meet my dentist again soon, with confidence :)

6. Riz23

Riz23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and headphones
      Hi, I’m planning on getting two of my wisdom teeth out in the next couple of months, and I am really worried it may cause a spike! How is your tinnitus? Did you get the procedure done under local or general anesthetic? Any tips. Thanks!

7. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They injected some anesthetic and used (I think it was) nitrogen to breathe in to help with the pain. It still hurt though. My tinnitus has not changed at all and I'm no longer worried about it causing a spike as it was awhile ago. I think the best thing to do is not worry too much about it. The constant worrying can give you anxiety and give the perception of an increase of your tinnitus. I hope the best for you when you go for your wisdom teeth removal but try to relax.