Dental Work (Including Drilling) & Tinnitus — Questions and Experiences

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petloy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm preparing for my first dentist visit since getting tinnitus. I have no choice. A filling fell out of a molar. I've avoided the dentist for about ten years because, even before tinnitus, I was terrified of the dentist. Last time I went, he told me my plaque build-up was really bad, but I was too scared to make a follow-up appointment to clean them. I could kick myself for that because now I have another ten years of build-up. :cry:

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've only had tinnitus for like 4 months and already had to take out all four of my wisdom teeth out and although the ringing went down for 2 days it's back to what it was when I got it. They use a very high pitched tool which I think was the drill. So maybe there wont be a change for you after the dentist. I'll update you if I get an increase if you want.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
    4. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      Been reading through this and similar threads all week leading up to my procedure, this just happens to the biggest one on this site so I wanted to add to the many other positive responses here.

I got two small fillings on two bottom teeth furthest to the right side. I'm paying close attention to my T because of all the anxiety I have surrounding loud noise, but I haven't noticed any remarkable difference.

Asked for a low-speed drill and even despite my extremely sensitive hearing I don't think it was all that loud - I wish I measured it during the process but it's a bit hard to pick up a phone and look through your apps while in the chair lol...

Definitely DO NOT wear earplugs - I explained to the dentist and the assistant that I took my headphones off earlier in the procedure because it made the drilling louder, but I did prefer keeping my ears plugged when the drilling was not taking place- I suppose I worded it weird and they misunderstood because then they put foam plugs in my ears and continued to work -drilling was MUCH more uncomfortably loud plugged and with headphones due to the occlusion effect. Despite the misunderstanding, my dentist was really cool and understanding- No problems whatsoever accommodating my request for 5 seconds drilling, 10 seconds off, so forth.

Biggest annoyance now is just waiting for this dang numbness to wear off so I can eat and drink somethin.. It's been hours -_-

If anyone needs a dentist in the DC area, feel free to quote reply or message me and I'll message you that information. I try not to come to this forum often but I'm very thankful for it nonetheless. The advice and positive stories helped me at a really dark time, and there is still a varying degree of struggle on many days but I appreciate that I'm not alone and hope everyone is living best they can. Thank you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Blodorn
      Bored

Blodorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I met my dentist 2 weeks ago, about 1 month after my trauma, for a cavity.

Well, nothing happened, no spike, no reaction. In fact, the anesthetic killed my tinnitus for 4h+.

I will meet my dentist again soon, with confidence :)

6. Riz23

Riz23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and headphones
      Hi, I’m planning on getting two of my wisdom teeth out in the next couple of months, and I am really worried it may cause a spike! How is your tinnitus? Did you get the procedure done under local or general anesthetic? Any tips. Thanks!

7. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They injected some anesthetic and used (I think it was) nitrogen to breathe in to help with the pain. It still hurt though. My tinnitus has not changed at all and I'm no longer worried about it causing a spike as it was awhile ago. I think the best thing to do is not worry too much about it. The constant worrying can give you anxiety and give the perception of an increase of your tinnitus. I hope the best for you when you go for your wisdom teeth removal but try to relax.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have major dental issues from tinnitus. It is increasing my anxiety. Major.

I need advice and promise to try whatever is suggested.

I am broke through. So more anxiety. I thought needing some fillings was the worst thing but my bruixism seems to be shifting my teeth. I am scared. I told my dentist but they didn't do much. I could see another but that means more xrays and $$. Maybe I need a splint.

I feel like this poster except my tinnotus is so loud and bad that both are concerns:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/dental-issues.13104/

9. Heatherb123456

Heatherb123456 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head cold
      I have to get an old filling drilled out and new one put it due to a cavity under the filling. I’m scared witless that I’m going to get a permanent spike. I’ve finally habituated and I’m scared I will have a major setback. I’ve taken NAC for a couple of days prior to appointment and I will be bringing some headphones and earplugs. I’ve spoken with the Dentist and he assures me that he will do the 5 seconds on and 10 off to help mitigate the noise exposure.

ANYTHING else you can think of that I should do? Besides canceling the appointment! Lol

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had tinnitus for many years and it can reach severe levels. I have also had many dental procedures including root canal work. Fortunately I have never had an increase in the tinnitus due to dental work or a spike. This is not to say a person with tinnitus cannot be affected by dental procedure. However, worrying about it will not help and if you're not careful, stress and anxiety can increase the tinnitus without you realizing it.

If you are going to be playing audio through the headphones I think this is a bad idea. Headphones and tinnitus do not go well together. Try and calm yourself down. Dental check-ups are important and if work needs to be done I advise you to have it as delay will only make the situation worse.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Make sure your dentist and dental hygienist know that if you want a break, you will put your hand up and that means you want the dentist to stop drilling. This is used in case the dentist doesn't stick to the 5 seconds drill, 10 seconds of break time procedure. Some dentists will decide to drill longer and so you will want a way to stop the drilling.

12. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I wonder if N/C headphones, without audio, would reduce the noise of dental work, without causing an occlusion effect.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yikes! Sorry to hear this, object.

This is exactly why I’m opting for extraction instead. A first upper molar needs an amalgam filling removing, then a root canal preformed, but also a crown fitted at a later date.

I’ve no idea how long the filling removal and root canal will take, but it’s the crown preparation that is really concerning me. Twenty minutes of drilling to prepare the tooth, it’s a lot! Really not happy about extracting the tooth because it’s visible from the front, but I don’t think I’ll be too happy about my T significantly worsening either! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have one on Monday and kinda regretting agreeing to it.

Do noise cancelling headphones help for this? If so, how do you use them?

What is the break routine?

5 seconds drilling and then 10 seconds break - then repeat this until the drilling is finished? How long do you think it should take like this?

I had a horrible spike last time at a different dentist office and I had two fillings. I don't know if my tinnitus got worse because it always seems to be bad - 9 or 10/10.

The only positive is that I have had rare but brief fluctuation periods since that appointment including a reduction in my tinnitus severity and volume - it was really brief though. :(

It was drastic enough that if it stayed at that reduction, I would search for work and could cope. Alas, it returned to the debilitating t which tortures me. I guess I would "rate" the fluctuation as '4/10.'

It is so devastating when it goes back to the same severity.

The new dentist seems okay. But, I have to ask another dentist to take these "extreme" breaks so I hope she tolerates me. :(

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No replies? I put the battery in my NC headphones. Is that all I need to do?

I don't know if I screwed up making an appointment. Does it matter that I had fillings a week ago and going again? This dentist has a good review but I think she only did routine fillings. The 5 second drill/10 seconds break procedure is probably new.

I read the first page of this thread and I guess people don't recommend ear plugs anymore? I hope NC headphones help. People talked about getting spikes or not. My last fillings didn't result in a spike immediately afterward. It was delayed until I woke up the next day. Then it was torture. A horrible spike. I think it lasted a day. I don't want to go through that again. I thought maybe I got worse. I didn't get the 5 second drill/10 second break duration though. I also didn't have a battery in the headphones.

I can order a mouthguard after I complete these two fillings. I think the drilling and spike thing is about noise. If your cavity is relatively small, then you are less likely to get a spike as the drilling will be less and over with faster even with the breaks. It might depend on what kind of drill they use, too. Finally, everyone is different. I am just speculating. I am not asserting anything as gospel.

I want to avoid a spike if possible. It's bad enough especially at night. I also want to avoid getting worse. The last fillings, the drilling was awful. There was different sounds and horrible vibrations at times. It was by two back teeth. Now, it's the other side but the teeth areas in between both teeth.

I wish I could have found quieter drills someplace but all the dentists around here don't have the newer tech. :(

16. Liam92

Liam92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Hi everyone, I hope you're all well.

It's been a long while since I logged in to these forums. I got my tinnitus from Noise Exposure around 4/5 years ago now, jeez those were hard times but I can assure anyone who is reading this it does get easier and you eventually learn to just "zone out" from the noise in fact I can just listen to mine at night in bed and it really doesn't provoke any reaction anymore.

That being said, we all obviously don't want to worsen our tinnitus! I'm just here to ask if anyone has ever had a spike around 5 seconds or so after receiving local anaesthetic from their dentist? I was at my dentist today to get a check up and I need to extract a tooth or have some root canal treatment to save it. However today he injected me with local anaesthetic in one of my nerves and all was fine I wasn't overly anxious or anything but 5 seconds or so after the injection I felt my tinnitus go extremely loud and I felt as if my hearing really dropped, I could not hear voices clearly the tinnitus went so loud! It really scared me. It lasted for around 20/30 seconds, it was loud! It has made me question whether or not I want to go back and have treatment, I'm scared it will make my tinnitus permanently loud.

Just asking if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Thanks all, hope everyone has a great day and keep on fighting through!

Liam

17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't know if I have a spike from a dental visit or it's typical screaming at night.

Does anyone here have spikes from dental visits? I am mostly wondering about filings in which they do drilling.

I am wishing I didn't go.

I live in an area where there aren't modern offices - meaning no new electric drills or laser drills for hard tissue (meaning teeth or enamel). I don't know if I could find one 100km from me but I regret not trying to find one.

I only need a cleaning and night guard now which aren't covered and I can't afford but my tinnitus is so loud, I just want a way out of all this. :(

18. Yuri_ol
      Curious

Yuri_ol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi everybody. Since 02/2019 I have tinnitus after an acoustic injury. For now my ears are still sensitive to loud sounds (I don’t know for sure, but I guess that after exposure to sound over 90 dB I can immediately or the next day get fullness in my ear).

After the x-ray of my teeth, I have a lot of dental fillings and not only.

Unfortunately, while reading the forum, I found information about drilling with pauses of 5 and 10 seconds but did not find accurate information about the correct treatment method for us (I mean the type of drill machine - laser, pneumatic or electric).

And so I bought a sound level meter and measured the noise level of different drill machines (sorry without photos).

1. laser - + -82 dB (the main one is that the earplugs perfectly attenuate its sound and there is no occlusion effect, today I was shot with a laser for testing a couple of times)
      2. pneumatic drill - + - 84 dB (in another clinic it was + -72 dB)
      3. electric drill - + -52 db

All 3 types of machines have their drawbacks.

1. laser - a peculiar sound of a stun gun during operation, there is no way to completely evaporate the dental tissue (it is partially necessary to drill with an ordinary drill) increased working time.
      2. pneumatic drill - it has a pleasant sound than a laser, I suppose high bone conductivity and volume.
      3. electric drill - I worry about high bone conduction and a long duration of work.

I am very afraid for increased tinnitus after going to the dentist and ask for your advice or experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      So I learned that my tooth, that I had a root canal done on, now has an infection. My tinnitus started the same night I had a root canal done almost 7 years ago. Unfortunately, even though the tooth is not hurting (the infection has been draining through a fistula for over a year now), needs to be extracted and a dental implant needs to be put in. I have to wonder.... if this extraction will either cure the tinnitus and it's possible I've had some sort of rupture causing it the past 7 years OR if it will make it worse. The extraction is scheduled for next week. My tinnitus remains fairly the same with still no underlying cause (it was definitely not any loud noises though). Anyway, wanted to hear if anyone has had experience like this, etc.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi all,

I need some advice please, @Greg Sacramento?

My left bottom molar at the back was root canaled several years ago. It has been disinfected a few years later.

This year, I have experienced intermittent bouts of increased (?) tinnitus and hyperacusis on this side, with associated low grade gum pain, jaw pain.
      I have made several trips to the dentist to finally seek a cone beam CT and another dentist, who has confirmed that there looks to be a low grade infection sitting under this tooth. The canal has been incompletely filled, and this has allowed infection to creep back in.

I had a bout of increased tinnitus back in March, which settled down. Tossed colloidal silver and naturopathic antimicrobials at it, and the tinnitus eventually settled down.

I put question marks next to possible increase because I am not entirely sure it has increased or my perception of it has increased, which has kicked up my anxiety ten fold.

The dentist said to take the naturopathic antimicrobials, and amoxicillin if this fails. He wants me to see an endodontist (I can't see them until September) to redo the canal that has been incompletely filled.

My concern is obviously that whether it be extraction or another part root canal procedure, that my tinnitus is going to worsen even more.

I did read a post about the lower back molar being more problematic because it is close to the alveolar nerve, heightening my chance of nerve injury.

What do you think of all of this?

21. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      11 days after my orthodontic appointment my tinnitus is a lot worse, orthodontist had to take off the residual glue from the teeth by drilling but it was so loud I was shaking (we didn't even finish, 12 out of 20 teeth are without glue. I couldn't keep going).

I experienced acoustic trauma, my head is burning 24/7, my tinnitus is a lot worse, the tinnitus is now coming from deeper inside the brain and it physically hurts. Got new tones and previous tones increased.

Also I feel that my hyperacusis is lower than before and that's a bad sign because for me it's a clear sign of hearing loss. Everything is a little quieter.

I take prednisone but it does nothing.

I don't want to live anymore, my head BURNS. Never experienced anything like that and I know that it's not going to improve, no improvement whatsoever so far even with prednisone. Even a little.

1 day, 1 mistake and your life is over, now for serious. I thought it was very bad before but now it's even worse.

22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi all,

I've written about this before, but needing some support here.

7 years in, and my tinnitus has become very intrusive again; particularly on the side that houses a previously root canaled bottom molar (extraction with a specialist planned for this coming Thursday).

I'm not entirely sure if this is the cause, but I am seriously struggling my way through each day. Trying very hard to not focus on the noise etc, but at the moment I feel totally consumed by it. Really the only time I don't right now is when I'm in the shower and sleep.

I'm terrified about the dental work, but need to have it removed now that I've learnt after much digging, that the tooth has a shadow under it, with an obviously incompletely filled canal.

Aside from sleep, my only hope I feel, is habituation again.

I understand on an intellectual level, what habituation is, including the dos and don'ts, but the fear that this may be permanent that I may never rehabituate overwhelms me right now.

I feel alone and trapped. I miss habituation.

Things I've tried since my relapse...

. Antimicrobials
      . Sleep
      . Destressing
      . Distraction
      . Meditation
      . Talking therapy
      . Hearing aids with barely audible masker

I plan to...

. Have the tooth removed
      . Undertake CBT mindfulness
      . Stay busy
      . Considering medicinal strategies for anxiety/depression

Beyond that...

. I have no idea!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @DebInAustralia In looking at your recent post, I missed your first post addressed to me when posted.

Studies confirm that hyperacusis can be present from this type of infection. Not often bothersome by dishes, paper or door handles, but more by so road noise or vibration noise.
      It also may be that infection has involved gums and lower side jaw. Teeth on that lower side would probably feel that they had moved- temporary - 30 minutes maybe - upon waking from sleep.
      It advised with tinnitus to redo the canal and completely fill first with low grade infection under a back molar as it's near the alveolar nerve. Any increased tinnitus should then disappear.

However, the chance of removal of your molar increasing tinnitus is 1%. With moderate to severe tinnitus (hearing loss) it's can be up to 7.5% for a tinnitus increase. This is from a 1500 patient study.

24. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks Greg,

I have since seen an oral surgeon, who said the nerve is not very close to this molar, and feels it should not be an ordeal. He said it needs to be removed because it has affected the ligament and surrounding bone.

I'm terrified.

If it's not precariously close to the nerve, should it be ok? I have a moderate bilateral hearing loss. Now I'm even more worried.

Would you please link that study here?

25. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your oral knows what is best for you from Cone Beam study, including ligament/bone and location of nerve that varies from person to person. Risk is so very small with removal, but for you it's probably zero.

If you still want to read about this, I have a study that includes many other references. Other studies. Be relaxed about removal as your Cone Beam showed exact nerve location.

26. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'd love to read a study if you have one for me to look at.

The surgeon said he could see on the Orthopantomogram that the nerve isn't too close to the tooth and the roots are going to be tricky to remove. He did say there may be a risk the tooth might break because of previous root canal work though.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    28. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I have pain hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus and am supposed to go into the dentist today for a biannual cleaning. I've been to the dentist before with no problem, but that was when I just had quiet tinnitus.

I'm kind of panicking right now because I'm afraid the tools they use for the cleaning will set me back. I can try wearing plugs or muffs, but that will only amplify the vibrations into my ears. Do I have a guaranteed setback/spike on my hands right now?

29. musicblue

musicblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Don’t go.

You can always go another day, but you can’t go back in time if you regret it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Dude I'm 17, my parents are forcing me to. It's only manual tools I guess.