Describe the Anxiety and Emotions Tinnitus Causes You

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jdwg, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Jdwg

Jdwg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The main issue other than the obvious constant ringing is the emotions that tinnitus creates inside you.

I haven't really seen this discussed on the forums, so I thought it might be useful to share.
      • Tinnitus gives me a sort of paralysis feeling, in that I don't feel stable or strong enough to just do things e.g., it seems to seriously reduce my confidence.

• The above feeling seems to combine with an uncertainty that is constant and nagging, this again stopping you from being care free.

• I feel a type of displacement, as if I'm off centre or unfocused.

• The noise interrupts my thought process and prevents the lucidity of uninterrupted thoughts.

• All of the above combine into a sense of helplessness, frustration and remorse.

• I constantly yearn for something to give even momentary relief.
      Does anyone else have these feelings or similar?

I feel that if I can begin to tackle some of these issues that I may be able to handle tinnitus better.

Do you have any coping mechanisms to share?

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Same.

3. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Excellent analysis, jdwg.

It recently occurred to me that having this creates the emplacement of a perpetually grinding fear, rage, and depression that is very similar to accounts I have read of what living in a totalitarian regime is like.

Even when this condition is less bothersome than usual, there is always the dreaded certainty that it will without warning enact vengeance with a crippling spike.

Stalin would have understood this; he called this "Controlling the Masses by holding Terror-In-Reserve."

In North Korea, people are so terrorized that they will become physically ill if they even hear the footsteps of the Police down their apartment building hallway.

I am always in such a similar state of borderline-panic awareness with this 24/7.

Ever since I got this, the mental energy I need to 1) control my panic reaction and 2) rally my "coping mechanisms".

When a spike comes, it makes me so depleted that I start hyperventilating even after any mild physical exertion.

I always feel as if there is an almost unbearable electrical current running throughout my entire nervous system.

Like everyone else I have had my stressful periods, but there was never anything even remotely similar to the umulatively debilitating psychological consequences from this.

It wouldn't be so bad if only I could do something that would reduce to even a slight degree the invasive power of a spike.

This abject helplessness before this is what can throw me into an abyss of despair.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      Can relate very much, especially to the first point. :(

Motivation of things has gotten a huge turn. Especially since I enjoyed music (listening and playing) and the details and intricacy of instruments which now is troublesome in frequencies close to the tinnitus. Luckily acoustic guitar sill works well for my ear to listen to. Can't fiddle as much with synthesizers, though. Feels really surreal that this is true – I guess 13 months (since onset of my really intrusive tinnitus variant) is too short of a time, if one can ever accept the situation that is. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Yes sir! I'd add lack of pleasure makes one question the nature of our existence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Torture, like being skinned alive.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    7. Chadilac

Chadilac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Constant stress, every minute of the day.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jdwg

Jdwg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thank you for the replies.

I really hope that understanding these emotions may help me and others to gain a bit of control or agency over the dreaded torture of tinnitus.

Another emotion I get is over projecting to hypothetical futures and imagining how I won't be able to cope or manage e.g., in work, relationships, old age and similar. This creates an enormous feeling of inadequacy and of extreme solitude.

9. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      I can't see a future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Jdwg, try projecting for better treatments or cure. I know it is hard. I live one day at a time. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1