DIY Low-Level Laser Therapy for Tinnitus on a Budget — LLLT Under 100,-

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Cityjohn, May 14, 2016.

1. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I think Bobby uses the wide beam, so you're sure it reaches the cochlea.

I'm a little bit afraid to use it but it might help, we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Ditto @Foncky. I'm also a bit afraid but nothing else is helping. I have tinnitus from NIHL...my tinnitus is screaching at 12khz, feels like my whole head is buzzing. It's so loud it interferes with other sounds. I have hyperacusis too :-( I read that some people got spikes when using LLLT, apparently a good sign?!
      BTW @Foncky, do you cycle? Noticed you avatar.

3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I have noise induced T too (and hyperacusis and hearing loss).

Yes I fear the spikes, but it's a good sign ! At least it means it does something. I will start on monday morning.

Yes I used to cycle a lot (mountain bikes). For now I'm totally unable to do it. The tyres noise on the ground is enough to cause me pain... A shame. I guess I'll have to hike more instead.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok @Foncky...Keep me informed how you get on. I have to find something to protect my eyes so will probably start mon too. I've also got hearing loss :-( I have terrible pressure in my ears too.
      I also used to cycle (road) a lot but since T & H it's been a struggle just getting through the day, it's taken the enjoyment out of everything. Plus wind noise is a problem as plugs hurt my ears (only have small ones lol).

5. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What eye protection are you all using? I read that near IR light is dangerous for the eyes. Do I need to get some welding goggles? Are dark sunglasses enough?

6. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Red Light Man posted a comment about dosage for tinnitus in response to a question:

"I think a higher dose of near-infrared (more penetrative than red) will be useful, as you are trying to target the cells deeper in the ear and nearby in the head. I would suggest at least 60 J/cm2 pointing directly on the ear but higher doses may be better."

https://redlightman.com/blog/complete-guide-light-therapy-dosing/

I think I will try the Infrared Mini 830 device:

https://redlightman.com/product/infrared-mini-830/

7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Will do ! Yeah the wind can be very loud. I love paragliding too, I know too well :(

• Like Like x 1
    8. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Eye protection is almost not necessary with the IR850 lamp we have, as you put it in your ear and the beam is quite narrow. I will probably just put a scarf around my head or something, just to be sure, and only switch the light on when it's next to my ear.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok thanks. Will prob do the same. Are you going to move the lamp around at all? Will you use it on the narrow beam? I may start off just doing 5 mins on each ear a few times a week.

10. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      No I will use the wide beam so no need to move the lamp around I guess.

5min/ear twice a week (monday morning and thursday evening), and then I'll add time each week to reach 15mn/ear per session.

If it's getting too hot I'll stop before.

• Like Like x 1
    11. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting interview of Dr. Michael Hamblin by Dr. Joseph Mercola.

Toward the end, mentions if on a budget, can buy a 850 nm wavelength security light device from Amazon! Not the $12 lamp discussed in this thread, but another example of an inexpensive device with a therapeutic wavelength.

Video and summary:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/26/photobiomodulation.aspx

Transcript:

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Ex...terview-MichaelHamblin-Photobiomodulation.pdf

A fun Dr. Hamblin quote from the transcript:

"MH: I get a lot of emails from folks, asking me what device they can buy to use at home. A lot of these folks do not have a lot of money. I tell them to look for near-infrared security floodlights. These are 850 nanometers and they’re sold so that various companies can have an invisible security light with an infrared camera so intruders can’t see they’re being filmed. These are powerful. You can get 70 or 100 watts of optical power for 1,000 dollars, a few hundred dollars sometimes. If this was a laser, it would cost you 100,000 dollars."

• Like Like x 1
    12. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Quite interesting !
      I found the best possible protection !

I'll use cheap swimming goggles covered by black gorilla tape !
      maru.jpg
      Comfortable and reliable.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've just done my first session with the torch. I did 5 mins on each ear using the wide beam. I don't know if this is enough, it didn't feel hot at all just a little warm. I'm not sure how others are placing the light, I had it about a centimetre from my ear pointed directly on the ear. Has anyone tried putting it behind the ear on the mastoid bone area? Can anyone post a photo of where they're placing the flashlight? My flashlight is the 3 led 3w version, I'm using a standard AA battery.
      @Foncky have you started using your torch? Good idea for eye protection...I used a scarf over my eyes but was careful and only turned light on when next to my ear.

14. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
    15. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It just felt slightly warm, nothing much really. I only did it for 5 mins on each ear. My tinnitus (high pitched) rings like hell so I though I haven't much to lose. I'm being conservative about length of time, and I'm not even sure I'm aiming the beam in the right place. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna take a look now. Let me know if you start.

16. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Foncky I just checked the link, thanks for that. I actually had the lamp about a centimetre from my ear so maybe not close enough to feel heat/penetrate into ear. Also @Bobby B mentions using it for 10-15 mins each each, alternating every 5 mins. I'm going to give this a good go as after almost 11 months I haven't seen any real improvements. I have TTTS for sure in my right ear with severe hyperacusis so maybe it might help that?

17. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Ok I did my first session. 5 mins per ear. I'll add 2 or 3 mins each week, to reach 15 mins quite quickly.

Did not feel anything. I use a AA 1.5V too, wide beam against the ear.

The swimming goggles are great I think, just make sure there are no light leaks.

I have TTTS too and severe H. LLLT is mostly useful for H I think.

• Like Like x 1
    18. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      This is a long topic to go through. :eek:

Is this something worth trying for me? 2 months mild T after accoustic trauma(s). One ear almost completely recovered the other one is a bit worse. So might focus it one ear only.

19. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You don't have to read everything. The recently discovered 13$ IR torchlight pretty much sums up this thread !

In your case, why not ? Can't hurt.

20. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Do you have a link to the actual device he is talking about? Will it work better than the torch?

21. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For some reason I am not seeing the link to the security light device mentioned in the article, there was a direct link when I posted earlier. Weird. Maybe they revised to remove the link. But if you go to Amazon and look there are no shortage of these types of devices.

In any event, I looked at my Amazon viewing history and found the link that is no longer there, this the device Dr. Hamblin referenced:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LF7E/

So it is 850 nm device, same light wavelength as the $12 ilauke lamp. But they key thing you need to figure out for this device (or any device) is milliwatts / square cm at a given distance. Unless the seller publishes those numbers (like Red Light Man does) then you need a solar power meter to determine it. It gets complicated fast.

Would be great if someone who bought the 850 nm $12 lamp and has access to a solar power meter could test it and tell us the milliwatts / square cm it puts out at zero distance. Then we could determine the number of minutes per ear to achieve certain dosages.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      This is just my own opinion but This lamp on the 1.5v batteries is nowhere close to 5w so the risk to burn something is very low . As a comparison I used a much larger medical device wiht a true optical power of 1.8 w at 1000nm and the heat sensation at the top and also deep into the ear is significanty higher. I also used a true 10w 1cm diameter medical device and it's even hotter you cannot keep it at the same spot for more than 3 seconds wihtout feeling uncomfortable burning , but again no issues with the ear function itself since only a fraction of light gets deep enough.

I have bought a cheap 3v power supply and will try this on it

• Like Like x 1
    23. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bobby B have you noticed any changes in your hearing whilst using the lamp? Maybe it's too early to tell? How often do you use it and for how long on each ear? Do you use it in the wider or narrower beam? Sorry for all the questions, I just started using mine and I'm not sure how often etc to use it. I put a normal AA battery in it. Thanks

24. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I just purchased the Lucy Laser (I'm not in any shape to be constructing anything and I also wanted to have the guidance from the clinic). My T came on during a reaction where my CNS became oversensitized, or there is a slight possibility it came on fully after a 2 week course of benzos - not really sure (so it could be Benzo/Stress/Antidepressant Reaction). I do have a little mid level hearing loss and I did notice some elevated T during stressful times even before I had the reaction. Did I make a mistake and should have gone with an IR laser? Will the red laser be too harsh on my oversensitized ears or does it have a soothing effect regardless and worse case scenario, it might not work? I just want to cautious that I'm not causing further damage. Thanks for your help.

25. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      In theory, the red light lacks the penetration of the IR laser.

In practice, some will claim both work, some will claim neither work.

You're actually in a position to help everyone here by asking the clinic what the difference is. Obviously dont point them to this thread but perhaps ask them what the value is of a high power IR LED. Perhaps mention Hamblin.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tom Cnyc Is there an actual IR laser that is specifically meant for the ears? I'm going to say no since I haven't seen one and that might mean just taking a guess and picking one off amazon. I can try and ask the clinic -Lumomed in Florida- but I doubt they would recommend another type of laser being more beneficial especially if they don't sell it, so even though they have been great, I think the answer might be biased.

27. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    28. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Foncky @Blue28 I have read your posts. If your laser device doesn't give you any relief from the tinnitus. You might want to take a look at a product that I have been using for six years and find it helpful. The designer cured his tinnitus with it. It won't help everyone that is why it is available to either buy out right or hire it for 4 months. After 6 months I noticed improvement in my tinnitus. The device emits no noise through the headphones and they are not normal headphones, meaning music wont play through them.

Tests were carried out and it helped 55% of people with tinnitus. It either cured it or reduced the intensity of the tinnitus. The link is below.
      All the best
      Michael
      http://www.tinnitus.cc/en/therapy-device/how-it-works/index.php

• Like Like x 1
    29. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @lymebite I'm kind of stuck with the Lucy since it just arrived today. Slightly disappointed because no instructions or protocol was included. I just emailed them - couldn't find anything online either.

30. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Cal18

I hope the Lucy helps.

Would be interesting if you could share their recommended protocol once you find out.