Do I Have Hyperacusis? I Don't Know What's Happening

Discussion in 'Support' started by spedgas, Oct 23, 2018.

1. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm about seven weeks into tinnitus. I have a single high pitched ring right in the center of my head.

The odd thing is that it is nearly impossible to mask. I don't find sounds physically uncomfortable, but the volume of the tinnitus seems to get louder when sounds get louder. The bathroom fan and the shower are the two most common.

When exposed to these the tinnitus volume increases.

I also find voices uncomfortable to listen to. Even my own sometimes. The sound from voices often gets distorted and very bright sounding.

Music does not bother me at all.

Any ideas about what's happening here?

Thanks.

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yes, this is hyperacusis. People also call it reactive tinnitus but they're pretty much the same.

This worked for me, dunno if it would work for you, but if you can stomach it, try a short period of time in silence and without masking. After surrounding yourself in silence for a few days, see how your tinnitus and hyperacusis react to slowly reintroducing gentle sounds.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @spedgas

It is important to know what has caused the onset of your tinnitus before deciding whether you have hyperacusis. Your symptoms could indicate that but there are other things to consider too. You could have ETD: Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, as some of the things you describe are known to be caused by this condition. It is best to be referred to ENT for tests on your auditory system.

Exposure to loud noise, typically headphone use is one of the most common causes of tinnitus, brought on by listening to music through them at too high a volume. Going to places where loud music is played can also cause the onset of tinnitus. You really need to be seen at ENT for tests, to determine what has caused your tinnitus as many things can be responsible.

Please click on the links below and read my posts. Another thing, tinnitus should not be "masked" more is explained in the links below.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    4. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use

I wasn't sure while reading this if it was Hyperacusis. Then I read "distortion" than it became clear. Yes this is hyperacusis.

Fortunately it seems mild for you. I'd suggest finding what exactly caused it or a period in which it began. For me it was loud noise exposure. And my Hyperacusis came on suddenly overnight nearly a week to two weeks after my sudden noise induced hearing loss.

5. ozgeA
      Curious

ozgeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Sound distortion can also be caused by #TTTS. It does not always require hyperacusis.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is TTTS?

7. ozgeA
      Curious