Do You Always Check If Tinnitus Is There When You Wake Up?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bwspot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @Telis have you ever down a minimum masking level (mml) test? If so, do you remember what your dB was?

I don't think the mml is very accurate as they don't match tone first, but it would give you an idea perhaps.

2. S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes it's the first thing I normally think of as I like to think oh I can't hear it today but I'm alway wrong. It doesn't bother me though ive manged to not be anxious about it , but just think yep still here and I just carry on.
      Maybe I've got used to it ? Not sure how as its jet engine level in sound and I can hear this over anything , music , tv even in the shower I still can here my t . But I ignore it. It hasn't stop me from doing what I did before t , other than a headache 24/7 but I carry on. I'm only 26 and I've got t and it won't stop me from having a life. I think it takes time to not fear it and to learn to adapt to it . I really recommend cbt or some form of therpy as talking about it to a professional will help a lot , I have and I found its helped me more than I could ever imagine. I never had faith in therpy it seems to be too good to be true . But no it does help. Not 100% and not over night but it's help ease my mind and learn to apdapt and even ignore it , right now my t is screaming in both my ears and my head and I can sit here in silence with it and it doesn't bother me. I don't know why but I have no feeling towards it. I think in time you will get there .

• Like Like x 1
    3. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      :(yes I do every morning.. so depressing!!!

4. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Nope don't check for it...but that is just because it is so obvious it is there that no need to. If it were not there then I would suddenly pay attention, like super fast! However, this is purely a function of huge amounts of time with the same EEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tone, for decades. So indeed it eventually 'becomes the equivalent of my silence'. In short, that's what "silence" is to me...a screaming E-flat.
      If it goes up in volume then the "checking" starts again. It's normal to do that at first I think, so I wouldn't get too flustered with oneself. Time is a very personal thing and it can be 'longer' for some than others.
      Note though, that my T is very stable and tons of you have variable T, which is different...that would obviously be more prone to "where are we today in T world???!!!".
      My T 'stability' is destroyed by reactivity to sound, and H...But they don't happen when I wake up as my room is quiet and my house is quiet. It's life out there that is not quiet!
      But "waking up"...Nope, that's not a T issue now.

Best, Zimichael

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      If I had to check for my T every morning I would be a believer.

6. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Just a bunch of high pitched electrical type noises I guess. My right ear has honking horns noises along with it. Then some clicking sounds as well in both ears.

If you turn up a sound until it pierces your ears and starts to get painful thats what feel 24 7. I guess I'm not as tough and positive as I thought I once was. I could not stand people like my current self in the past. Karma's a bitch eh

7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I know I can crank up my home stereo as loud as it will go at the frequencies of my T and I don't hear anything. Like say at 10000hz it would send people running and holding their ears, I hear nothing at all. Same with all the frequencies above that.

Never tried mml. I will look into it. Thx.

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I think you have Dannitus.

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      NEVER DO THAT. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean its not damaging.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I tried mma once...and it hurt.

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. JonDAH

JonDAH Member

I also hear my Tinnitus if am not well rested and after I've had a restless sleep due to a series of weird/bad dreams.

I once woke up after a bad dream and my left ear rang loudly but I was so tired I quickly ignored it and went back to sleep, I get this now and again.

Then when I wake up hours later it has either reduced in intensity or is gone completely.

12. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Unfortunately, I have to admit I check it first thing in the morning (can't help it); but since I'm habituated I just don't react to it (I just don't care).

• Like Like x 1
    13. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Its hard not to notice the T. Your not sleeping as well and the sound is there just like your nose or your hands or your bed its there! Thank god its lower in volume. Which only proves it can happen. Lower T is real! Its the higher t that kicks our arrss!

14. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      My tinnitus looks to see if I'm there.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      No need, all my mornings are excruciating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      My brain likes to check itself. Kinda like how you check for keys/wallet/phone before leaving the house.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's too loud to go unnoticed, unfortunately...

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I do not check my T every morning anymore neither do I plug my ears. I know it's there and I try to live as normally as possible.

• Like Like x 4
    19. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm always aware of it to some extent within a few minutes of waking up, but oddly it rarely bothers me very much until I get up and start to go about my day.

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SoulStation , I see you agreed with my post. Are you also someone, like me, who is for whatever reason not especially bothered by these sounds while laying in bed and doesn't have problems falling asleep as a result? Don't get me wrong, it's loud as hell in a silent bedroom, and I wish it wasn't there at all, but it just doesn't keep me awake. I'm not sure why that is, since very quiet ambient noise (like my wife or cats breathing) often does cause me trouble sleeping...

21. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I have problems going to sleep in silence. But waking up is often not bothersome with my T. I don't mind it too much in the morning as it's usually calm after a good nights rest!

22. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      You guys are lucky in a sense, waking up is the worst part for me .
      Its insane , luckily it not like that during the day even though it might be an awful day or I would go bananas !
      Also when waking up you are kind of soft emotionally , really hard .
      In fact my life would 50% easier if it wasnt for the horrible mornings.
      :p

23. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, sorry to hear that, @RaZaH. I don't know how I'd manage to deal with this if I didn't at least get some sense of calm and reprieve in the early AM... but I imagine I would find a way, because what's the alternative? :-/

24. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Indeed .
      I am having a pretty good day today and for now , that is all that matters to me :)

25. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Strange question ... it must mean you have very little T and it`s time to forget about it untill you hear they found a cure in the news ...

Morning till evening I have a sound no matter where I go or what i do ... I don`t need to check it ... it checks me ...