Does Anyone Else Get a Tinnitus Spike When They Yawn?

Discussion in 'Support' started by stev3po, Jan 21, 2021.

?

Do you get a T spike when you yawn?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
    1. stev3po

stev3po Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral ear infection or neti pot?
      I get a spike in my left ear, the one that has *less* tinnitus normally, when I yawn. I can't recreate it when I do the physical motions of yawning, it only happens when it's an actual yawn. I sometimes tremble as well when I yawn, particularly in the morning.

The noise sounds like a ringing/beeping, fluctuating between two different high pitches, but goes away right when the yawn ends.

Does anyone else have this? Why does this happen, and is this a clue at all to what's going on in there?

Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have it, and the vote is at 100% for six people having the same! I've seen elsewhere that it is not unusual, even with people who don't have tinnitus.

3. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      I have a tone and a hiss in both ears. When I yawn the hiss goes away and the tone gets louder until I relax the yawn.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. arcanesystem
      Disappointed

arcanesystem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; Possibly noise-induced
      This happens only with my right ear, and it does get incredibly louder. As to why this happens, I haven't got a clue other than the fact that it is a fairly common occurrence among tinnitus sufferers and that there is a somatic component involved.

5. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      My right ear is exactly like this. It only happens during an actual yawn, not when I mimic the motions of a yawn. The sound is exactly as you describe it as well. No idea what's going on. I don't think that started for me until after a recent ear infection.

6. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Interesting. I voted no, and I see that everyone else has voted yes. I can't tell if I am fortunate or I am misunderstanding the question.

The noise that I receive when I yawn is no different than how it was for me prior to my onset. I feel as if the sound that is produced is simply a byproduct of the mechanism of the yawn. At the very least, I can say yawning doesn't aggravate the symptom as I have it.

I'm grateful for this, because I'd be spiking a lot more frequently due to how much I'm tired (and therefore yawn). Now I'm worried I'll subconsciously plant a mini-spike the next time it happens...

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      Yep. It also happens when I burp. The spikes are only a second or two long, and they have a high pitched “warble” sound.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      Does anyone notice their ringing/roaring increases when you turn your head, move up and down?

For example, if I'm lying in bed and I turn my head, my tinnitus goes from 10/10 to 15/10 as I'm moving my head and back to 10/10 when I stop moving.

I have also found that when my diaphragm spasms (hiccups) or coughing the noise goes way up in volume with insane pressure in the ear and face. Any of you guys have this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      Note for people who answered "no," I personally notice the spike much more when I'm wearing earplugs. If you wear earplugs one evening, and then wait until you yawn, you might find that you do get a spike.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      My theory is this is either nerve pinching or just the eardrum getting flexed.
      My "TWWwWWWWANNNNgggg" definitely happens with a morning yawn and earplugs in.

11. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      Interesting but it’s a no for me. My tinnitus doesn’t change when I yawn, burp, hiccup or fart.