Does Mindfulness Meditation Help Reduce Tinnitus Volume?

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Mar 29, 2018.

1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Usually I don't care about this stuff but I heard a guy on some other forum say it reduces his tinnitus by half. I wonder if there's truth to this.

To simplify this question in a way nobody can misinterpret, does mindfulness meditation help in reducing tinnitus volume, or is it useless for that?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      As a professional dancer, i tend to get involved in this kind of work, such as yoga, meditation etc. where someone engages in body and spiritual awareness. Personally (even though i could feel the benefits of yoga practice before tinnitus) i tend not to have the patience and discipline, as i was a very hyper mobile person. My point is that you can only have an answer to your question if you invest in this kind of practice, which is gonna take several months. It's actually a process to learn a new skill. There are claims about mindfulness changing the brain's neural synapses. Personally i would doubt that mindfulness can literally reduce t volume, but one can always try. Nothing to loose. It's not something risky.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I was wondering if it actually helps though in most cases. Why even bother if there isn't a good chance it will? All I found on the internet were articles dodging the question of whether or not it reduces tinnitus, meaning it probably doesn't. It's hard to find something that doesn't completely suck for tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      No it will not reduce the tinnitus loudness threefirefour. That is not the point of the therapy. It is more about refocusing your emotional state. And this is what helps the tinnitus patient in most cases.

I know you get very defensive when it sounds like a "cure" rather than a simple coping technique.

Umm...BTW your avatar is not nice. Unless that is how you actually spend your time....

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Okay /thread. Thanks for the info.

And it was for an inside joke. I need to change it soon but I need a new picture.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Curiosity, 'fun', distraction, meeting a hot chick during a class. Who knows? Maybe you will become a spiritual master and suddenly guide us all to the light. It may surprise you. Btw i know a guy with severe tinnitus and a fair amount of HL. After 20 years he managed to move on through meditation. (Not habituation. More a sense of control), but this is like a religion to him. I wouldn't want to expand this in the context of faith etc. My point is that one must find what works for him. There's no damn cure.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Not looking for one, just a way to reduce volume. Looks like I'm sticking to ACRN for a while.

8. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Me2. I had a bad experience with Trobalt and i'm so disappointed. I still look at the pills and would love to pop them, eagerly. On the other hand i have noticed that bromazepam reduces mine a bit (have tried a few times only a low dose of 3mg), but those damn benzos cannot be taken as a long-term solution. If i had 25.000 euro i would go for SC. Anyway. I'm off topic. I will retreat.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thanks threefirefour!!

Reducing the actual volume depending on the reason for your tinnitus is difficult. I know you have a very sharp mind. When I worked with some highly intellectual guys for example engineers they needed data and precision and proof. The same with a few registered genius types.

Nothing wrong with that at all but it makes it much more difficult on the person.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Being mindful of something besides tinnitus shifts awareness away from the tinnitus. That way it's not at the forefront of your consciousness. You likely meditate this way often, for a short time at least, without realizing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      We already established it's useless for tinnitus. No need to revive a dead thread.

12. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

It is not useless.

It is "useless" in the sense that you want it to be. It's like saying a table is useless because it doesn't fly.

Mindfullness is a part of CBT, very useful.

Only thing I can add is, unfortunately you won't find something to lower your Tinnitus, but if you learn not to pay attention to it, it's a step forward.

Best,
      Zug

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      It legit helps lower my tinnitus volume temporarily, butttttt I think its because meditating lowers blood pressure.

• Like Like x 1
    14. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I felt the need.

• Like Like x 1
    15. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Looking forward to it.

16. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      A few years ago I tried a thing that requires sitting alone in a quiet room, listening hard OVER the T for silence. I thought it worked a little, maybe 20 percent. But I got about 98 percent relief from a different method that I learned here, and I did a video about it.

Good luck, Terry
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Interesting. I notice my tinnitus reduces when I stop moving for a while.
      You talk about this post all the time and I just don't find it helpful. Other than that your other idea sounds interesting.

18. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      How long did you try it? Did you notice your responses getting fewer?
      Just trying to help.
      Terry

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks for the help. I didn't try it because it's not what I'm looking for. Anyways I'm sure it has a market but you can't win them all.

20. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I hadn't really looked until now....and....ewe

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No need to be sheepish

22. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      There are different branches, and who can say what will work for your particular aetiology.

Did you read the section from the conference on neurofeedback?

There is a branch of evidence showing reduced Alpha and increased Delta activity in the brain. Learning to control the Alpha activity could reduce the volume of tinnitus, be that through Yoga, meditation, mindfulness, neurofeedback or whatever.

It's often about finding the right technique that makes the most sense to you. I suggest neurofeedback with a visual display judging your need to see results. In this way you have clear indicators that the technique is working or not.

Here is a review of neurofeedback https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5717031/

From the conference report, the neurofeedback presentation:

"They use visual feedback for their tests; a UFO travelling along a tunnel, alpha brainwaves control the speed and Delta controls direction. The aim is to balance things for a smooth ride. There was no placebo group for the data presented, however they did find that an increase in Alpha activity in those with tinnitus corresponded to a decreased loudness of tinnitus and decrease of tinnitus distress. When they followed up at 3 months the loudness had returned to baseline."

So basically if you stop training your brain it can go back to baseline - or in other words if you get back to obsessing / focusing on tinnitus the brain goes back to the same patterns. Nothing concrete but it's worth a shot because they did report a decrease in loudness.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
    23. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      @threefirefour , I've been meditating daily for 6 weeks now. I'm keeping a log, and intend to post about my experience sometime in the next few months. But for now it's just too soon to judge. All I can say for now is that my experiences have been ... interesting, to say the least; in more ways than one.

There is (I think) plenty of evidence that consistent meditation practice changes brain structure after a few months or so. I'll try to find some links to academic studies on this. From what I recall, it increases grey matter and shrinks the amygdala. There's also the brainwave stuff that Steve describes above.

All of it sounds like it could potentially help to reduce T, at least in some people. Only way to know for sure is to try it out. But I can tell you it requires a lot of commitment and discipline, so you have to willing to really apply yourself.

@Steve , I'm a bit confused about the comparison between neurofeedback and meditation? Is it basically the same but through different methods? Meditation doesn't require any external gadgets, unlike neurofeedback.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      And please do change your avatar @threefirefour
      No need to aggravate others more than you already do ;-)

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    25. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Sorry for the confusion. Less of a comparison of the techniques, more that they aim to achieve similar things in the balancing of the thought processes, generally acting on achieving a state of mind.

26. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Mindfullness and Meditation are a part of CBT. Sometimes they are used as synonyms, but at least in the context of CBT, they're not the same. I did some meditation but never really got into it. Mindfulness is about learning to redirect your focus, changing your attention from where it is to where you want it to be.

I remember asking my therapist more than once if all this wasn't just some feel good mumbo jumbo, and we talked about the research and benefits.

I wouldn't expect any of them to lower any sound. Once I started habituating I was under the impression that my Tinnitus was lower, as in, it gets easier to mask and not pay attention to it. I remember turning on the same white noise app that I was using before starting CBT, and objectively I think the sound was the same. It's just that my brain was changing it's focus.

Anyway, it's certainly not useless, you just need to be realistic about what to expect.

Best,
      Zug

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Awesome. Yeah please keep us updated

• Like Like x 1
    28. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did CBT without the meditation. CBT is a scientific approach. Mindfulness meditation is religion. It annoys me when you go to a scientist for help and they tell you to perform a religious activity.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Mikael

Mikael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea
      Some1 suggested me yoga, I haven't tried it, so it may work, or not.

• Like Like x 1
    30. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Mikael ,
      Hatha Yoga is good,it works on your breathing .
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1