Does Testosterone Have an Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shaun, Mar 18, 2015.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'd be curious to hear how you are too?

Was it the Testosterone Replacement Therapy or the Trazodone?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Hi @Wrfortiscue, @DebInAustralia.

I'm doing pretty well, I had a bit of a spike on Friday and Sunday of this past weekend but on the whole, I am trending steady (back to new normal today). My guess is stress + I had been nibbling on marijuana edibles and I think that caught up with me.

I couldn't tell you whether the improvement in my tinnitus noise is time, testosterone, Trazodone, or all three.

I do think my hypothesis of getting a mentality and well-being boost from test is working out. Although I am not immune to getting down about tinnitus, I am powering through those days. I feel better overall. It's also neat to see body fat slowly disappear without any changes to my diet or training routines. I'm seeing veins at rest that I normally only see on the most intense training days. Libido way up. Etc.

Sure beats the hell out of SSRIs so far.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      That’s awesome and gives me hope! Isn’t Trazodone an SSRI? I want to jump on Testosterone Replacement Therapy (I’m below 200s, low libido, weak erections, always tired) and doctors pushed it on me but I was worried about any other hormones I would need to take and also tinnitus worsening.

I’m battling a new worsening right now so trying to figure out if it’s just tinnitus changing or my perception/depression is worsening.

Glad to see only positive from you so thanks for that :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    4. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My opinion is to absolutely go for it. You probably don't need to take anything else but testosterone, especially at a replacement dose of 100-120 mg. My biggest hesitation was always committing to injections in perpetuity but it turns out they are totally negligible. It's a non-event. Takes 2 minutes twice a week.

Trazodone isn't technically an SSRI but it does share some characteristics. I don't think the dosage prescribed for sleep (25-100 mg) elicits the undesirable sides commonly associated with SSRIs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      That’s awesome. Thanks man. I just read that Testosterone Replacement Therapy is for life so I was hesitant. Plus it shrinks your nads lol, but I’m cool with that too.

6. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It can be for life, doesn't have to be. You can cycle it. I plan to be on it for life, it's fantastic. Your balls may be pre-shrunk if your testosterone levels are that low! In that case no worries.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still doing great. Highly recommend a trial of Testosterone if you're low. There are plenty of online providers out there.