Does Testosterone Have an Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shaun, Mar 18, 2015.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'd be curious to hear how you are too?

Was it the Testosterone Replacement Therapy or the Trazodone?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Hi @Wrfortiscue, @DebInAustralia.

I'm doing pretty well, I had a bit of a spike on Friday and Sunday of this past weekend but on the whole, I am trending steady (back to new normal today). My guess is stress + I had been nibbling on marijuana edibles and I think that caught up with me.

I couldn't tell you whether the improvement in my tinnitus noise is time, testosterone, Trazodone, or all three.

I do think my hypothesis of getting a mentality and well-being boost from test is working out. Although I am not immune to getting down about tinnitus, I am powering through those days. I feel better overall. It's also neat to see body fat slowly disappear without any changes to my diet or training routines. I'm seeing veins at rest that I normally only see on the most intense training days. Libido way up. Etc.

Sure beats the hell out of SSRIs so far.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      That’s awesome and gives me hope! Isn’t Trazodone an SSRI? I want to jump on Testosterone Replacement Therapy (I’m below 200s, low libido, weak erections, always tired) and doctors pushed it on me but I was worried about any other hormones I would need to take and also tinnitus worsening.

I’m battling a new worsening right now so trying to figure out if it’s just tinnitus changing or my perception/depression is worsening.

Glad to see only positive from you so thanks for that :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    4. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My opinion is to absolutely go for it. You probably don't need to take anything else but testosterone, especially at a replacement dose of 100-120 mg. My biggest hesitation was always committing to injections in perpetuity but it turns out they are totally negligible. It's a non-event. Takes 2 minutes twice a week.

Trazodone isn't technically an SSRI but it does share some characteristics. I don't think the dosage prescribed for sleep (25-100 mg) elicits the undesirable sides commonly associated with SSRIs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      That’s awesome. Thanks man. I just read that Testosterone Replacement Therapy is for life so I was hesitant. Plus it shrinks your nads lol, but I’m cool with that too.

6. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It can be for life, doesn't have to be. You can cycle it. I plan to be on it for life, it's fantastic. Your balls may be pre-shrunk if your testosterone levels are that low! In that case no worries.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still doing great. Highly recommend a trial of Testosterone if you're low. There are plenty of online providers out there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still great.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      I thought about doing Testosterone Replacement Therapy but kinda scared of the effects it could have on my tinnitus since I’ve had it since I was 13. My testosterone levels were low according to my doctor and he thinks I would benefit from this.

10. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You could go for the half way option and take some supplements like Tongkat Ali and Cistanche which are known to slightly increase testosterone.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm now 9 months in and it definitely has not made my tinnitus worse. I am far better off now than I was 9 months ago in terms of tinnitus loudness/distress. Whether that has anything to do with testosterone is up for debate (probably doesn't). But holistically, I am mentally and physically in a better place with testosterone. It's been a win.

12. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      As a proud ‘natty’, performance enhancing drugs are lame IMO, so I’ll pass on the TRT.

Natural all day every day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great for you.

• Like Like x 1
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I may end up being a candidate for Testosterone Replacement Therapy later on though especially as I grow older (age 45+). I know testosterone levels naturally go down as you age and I’m certain my testosterone levels are going to take a nose dive at some point. It’s definitely something to consider, but not when I’m still young. The side effects along with the long term health implications of its use ain’t worth it right now. I’ve seen 20 year olds who have been on gear for years and they look old enough to be my father.

And for the record, I don’t think you’re lame. In fact, I have great respect for people who admit to being on gear. This current trend of actors and people in the fitness industry using roids and flat out denying it is BS and frankly it just creates super unrealistic expectations when it comes to fitness and body image.

15. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's useful to point out that I'm on a replacement dosage (the R in TRT), which is not considered performance enhancing. So it's not gear, it's clinical. My free testosterone levels were in the basement before TRT, but I'm actually not any stronger now while on TRT. I was strong and well trained after having consistently trained for over 15 years. I am slightly leaner, however, and more cardiovascularly fit. I suppose one could chalk that up to enhanced motivation to do cardio on top of my lengthy weight training sessions.

16. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t think I can agree with this entirely. TRT is the use of testosterone, an anabolic steroid. If you use TRT to balance your levels, that’s fair, but at the same time, it’s considered a banned substance in most competitive sports. I would consider it enhancement.
      I think half the appeal of PEDs is the time saving factor rather than the freakish muscle mass and strength potential. It makes maintenance a lot more easier.

17. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, thanks for coming in and passing judgement. Very valuable contribution to this thread.

18. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Have you tried taking Tongkat Ali and did it have any effect on your tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have taken Tongkat Ali, Cistanche and Maca for a few months and they have had no noticeable effect on my tinnitus. It's very hard to really tell since my tinnitus fluctuates a bit anyway and there are so many contributing factors but I don't think these supplements had any effect.

I'm using them as a boost for weightlifting because I don't want to take testosterone or any PEDs because of the risks involved.