Does Tinnitus Get Louder Throughout the Day?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynnette, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Does anyone else have mild tinnitus in the morning that gets progressively worse and much louder as the late afternoon/evening hours come around? I'm not sure if it's because I try to stay busy during the day and when I get a chance to relax at night it's very loud since I'm focusing on it or is it truly getting louder at night.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Dan Reagan
      Chicken

Dan Reagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      That happens to me alot. I can't say every day but I would say more often than not it does get considerably louder in the later afternoon and evening hours. Weirdly, there are times then it will settle down later in the evening but very unpredictable most of the time.

3. Kerry H
      Balanced

Kerry H Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yeah, this is how my tinnitus is. To be honest, I forget that I have it for a good portion of the morning and early afternoon. Even if I try to listen out for it, I only hear a very faint ringing. But at night it sure does increase in volume. I've noticed an increase in tinnitus at night regardless of whether or not I'm keeping busy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Mine does that as well, when I had mild tinnitus it was very quite in the morning but by the time it was late evening I could hear it over the TV, now I have the tinnitus I used to get in the evening as a starting point of the day and slowly increases when it gets to evening, that's why I hate it if I didn't have much sleep it would be louder than normal.

5. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Mine does this as well.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Mine's worse at night when I kick back in my chair and watch TV. I really think there's some kind of sound coming out of the TV that irritates me. Also, with my head kind of tilting forward while my body is reclined, I'm straining the muscles that run from the collarbone to the back of the ear, which according to some accupressure people, is a no no.

7. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I would say that mine is worse in the morning most of the time, and after I wake up it gets a little better and sometimes gets worse at night time. It is pretty random though as everyone else's probably is.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Mine is fairly calm in the morning and early afternoon, and keeps building up, so that it's at its worst at the end of the day. I used to think it was related to blood pressure, but now I'm not sure that's the case.

I also have problems with tinnitus when I try to watch TV. Something about the sound level irritates my tinnitus. I can only watch TV for about 30 minutes at a time (even with earplugs), and then I have to turn it off and distract myself some other way.

9. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      Mine's this way some days. Think it has to do with stress, my days often end with a new burden of homework, not relaxation.

Curiously, the only time my tinnitus consistently gets louder is when I'm sleeping. If I wake up in the middle of the night it's always twice as loud as normal. But it's fine when I wake up naturally in the morning...so odd.

10. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      :O Maybe it has smth to do with your brains activity at night??? Could be the theory of dreams or smth?

Mine also "gets louder" during the day. By that I mean the more time I spend thinking about it the more i hear it:D In the morning or at night it is so faint I barely can hear it.

11. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Mine is very mild upon awaking most of the time..On my good days it will stay mild thru out the day but usually the volume is gradually turned up thru the day..Sleep seems the only tool at which I have some control over the volume and can usually reset it to a lower volume by sleeping.. However a short nap often seems to increase the volume. I must sleep long enough to go into a deep sleep pattern.

12. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Mine is often louder at night as compared to when I wake up in the morning. From what I have read, this is not uncommon.

13. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mine definitely gets louder at night, probably because I'm worrying more about whether or not I'll be able to sleep. I also surround myself with distractions during the day - TV or being outside when I'm not at work, music or other noise when I am at work - and at night, it's harder to make those mask the noise, even if I have white noise or other sounds playing right by my head. It's tough and I'm truthfully not sure how to make it better.

14. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Yes I have the same type of tinnitus.

15. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Mine is constant from the moment I wake up until I get sleep.

16. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Horrible when I wake up but calms down as I get on with my day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I sometimes barely hear it at night then it switches on in the morning like a machine winding up. For me its a lottery as to whether it will bring sound intolerance and hyperacusis along for the day's business as well. 50% of the time it does then the other 50% it doesn't.

18. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Mine is calm in the morning, at one point, it would get really strong right after lunch, no matter what time I took lunch, as soon as I got back in the office, it would get very loud.

For the greater part of last year and this year, it's pretty tame in the morning, starts getting strong around noon but not too bad, I can mask it easy but around 3-6, it gets louder but with pressure, I can't explain it, and my white noise won't mask it fully. Then, the pressure just eases up and it gets quieter again.

Other times, if it doesn't quiet down before I leave home, it will quiet back down during my drive home.

I only experience this on workdays. During weekends, it's quieter than weekdays.

19. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's me too. I've noticed it gets noticeably louder in response to noise through the day. Some days I forget to stop the bedroom door slamming behind me and that's when it starts! On days when I'm able to work from home, it increases a lot less, as I can control my environment better. But any day when I have to go in and negotiate the busy traffic and the noisy open-plan office, it's reached peak volume by lunchtime.

As long as it settles again overnight I try not to stress too much about it, but just being careful with earplugs ready when I'm outside in traffic or when I feel most at risk.

I wonder if this is typical of tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma perhaps?

20. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Anyone else think that this is evidence of cochlear nerve synaptopathy?

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can we brainstorm about why some people's get louder throughout the day and others get quieter?

22. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      If it helps, my hearing test shows only a little hearing loss towards my upper frequencies, most notably in the region of the tinnitus whine in my bad ear.

And I've had problems hearing speech in noise for several years prior to my recent spike.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So your hearing loss coincides with your tinnitus frequencies?

24. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, mine is quieter in the morning as well, and then builds up again during the say. My theory is that the exposure to any noise pushes it back up as the day proceeds.

25. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Based on my own tests using an online hearing test site, yes.

We'll see what the audiologist says, though I've never found them to be much help in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      Yes always

27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LMAO at your picture. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

28. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
      Happens to me also sometimes.

29. Marcuso22

Marcuso22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud prolonged exposure to alarm system
      My reactive tinnitus gets really loud within a couple hours of awakening. It seems to get louder throughout the day & usually peaks. But sometimes I can experience an abnormal spike above my peak that becomes unbearable at night & then I wait for the benzo to help alleviate the severity.

Very unpredictable which makes it seem impossible to habituate, especially to such a dynamic loud perceived sound.

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Mark62

Mark62 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lawn mower
      It seems that you have been into your hearing trauma experience for about 10 months now. My tinnitus, like yours, was caused by hearing loss due to loud sounds. I’m 11 weeks in. I was wondering if you have seen a decrease in the level of your tinnitus since onset.

Thanks,
      Mark