Don't Take Vitamin D If You Have Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brian meadows, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Brian meadows

Brian meadows Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 19th
      There's a couple things that I know help with tinnitus: pine park extract, and 8 hours of sleep every time.

But my tinnitus was acting up for a few weeks and I finally realized what was causing it. I read on some random website that Vitamin D aggravates tinnitus. I was taking a lot of Vitamin D in my multi-vitamin, plus I was taking a separate Vitamin D supplement at the time. I stopped taking both. Within 2 days, my tinnitus was lower. And a couple weeks later, it was gone. It's been a month since I've had tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take quite a high dosage of Vitamin D but never linked it with worsening my tinnitus. I'll cut it out for a bit and see if there's any change.

3. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If you take vitamin D, I would get a blood test done to see what your levels are... a lot of the internet says take 5000 IU a day but believe me after a few months of that you could easily be overdosing and can cause a host of problems, it's a hormone more than a vitamin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I don't know anything about vitamin D, except that everyone is apparently low in it. My wife takes 1000IU/day, and I just started using it a couple months ago. Didn't notice any effect on my tinnitus at all, but I'm hardly against cutting it out for a bit, seeing what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Vitamin D3 is recommended by some medical sites for Tinnitus. Congrats to the OP if stopping it helped you.

I think it has been reported in recent years that Vitamin D is one that most of us are low on. I started 400 IU of D3 in the past year. I can't tell if it or any of the other many supplements I take help with anything.

6. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I took vitamin D3 almost two years ago to improve my testosterone levels and I didn't notice any changes in my tinnitus. But we are all different.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What happened to you? You mentioned (with a lot of "passion") that you had been cured by the Serenade system here (in a "Success Story" thread):

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Taking too much vitamin D or NAC can cause irregular heart rhythm, calcification of blood vessels, cornea, soft tissues and muscle pain. This may be important for those with pulsatile tinnitus or physical tinnitus. With PT one vessel can be affected by another vessel, thyroid and the heart. The best thing for the heart is drinking small amounts of water throughout the day. Dehydration is not good for any of us.

Some complain of stomach problems (all sorts) and GERD including those with PT and they don't know the cause. The cause may be irregular heart rhythm or blood vessels problems. With this, vitamin levels use should be checked and discussed with a doctor.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brian meadows

Brian meadows Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 19th
      GregCA The Serenade definitely worked for me. However, I've experience unexplained spikes/reocurrences over the years. In hindsight, I really wonder if these spikes coincided with me taking D supplements, because I've been pretty inconsistent with taking them. My ear simply must be sensitive to excess vitamin D.

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think you have raised a very important point here Greg, sipping water throughout the day is the key to proper hydration, it is much better than gulping down large amounts all at once. We are coming into summer here, there is always an influx of patients coming through emergency departments because of dehydration.

So I tell everyone, water is life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      So, I had a weird problem... found out I had low vitamin D, high cholesterol, and low testosterone... there might be other hormonal problems with me too that I don't know about. Anyways, I started taking vitamin D3 sublingual and after a few weeks, I became even more fatigued than usual and de-habituated to tinnitus. It didn't increase the tinnitus though. Maybe it's just a coincidence or placebo effect although I didn't notice vitamin D3 doing much of anything the first couple of weeks. Of course, I'm also wondering if sublingual is too strong for me. I tend to be very sensitive to some supplements.

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of onset?

Or...

It was going to resolve anyway...?

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I'm finding that even if I take just 400IU to 800IU of vitamin d3, my T gets significantly louder. I didn't really think that could be possible, but I've experimented with this a few times now and it's very consistent. It takes a couple days for it to calm down after taking the d3. This happens even if I take it with magnesium. T is a strange thing.

15. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been taking 4000 IU daily because of COVID-19. 2000 IU in my multivitamin and another 2000 IU separately. I will stop the additional 2000 IU once COVID-19 goes away. I can't tell if it has impacted the tinnitus.

16. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I think instead I’m going to make sure I get my vitamin D the natural way. I’m still not 100% sure that it impacts me, as correlation isn’t necessarily causation.

17. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      My doctor prescribed me Vitamin D3 in March, I don't like anything interfering with my tinnitus. So, when my doc told me to take it, I said no, not now.

But I wonder if tinnitus interferes with your D3 levels. Since my D3 was low.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. summitplum

summitplum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      azithromycin
      I also noticed an increase in tinnitus with taking Vitamin D 5000 IUs for just a couple of days. However it's not because of toxicity because I'm pretty low in Vitamin D (I'm at 24).

For some reason, I don't have these same issues when I'm out in the sun for awhile... I'm not sure else how to safely get my Vitamin D up...

19. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pink Floyd
      I would highly advise you to take your vitamin D3 5000 iu even if it (and I doubt) increases tinnitus. D3 is a great immunity booster from everything out there.

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I took vitamin D supplements for the last 4 months (until summer arrived) and I did not notice any significant change in my tinnitus or hyperacusis.

21. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Taking very high doses above the recommended daily amount is considered a potential cause for tinnitus, but not getting enough vitamin D is also linked to tinnitus.

Anyone concerned about tinnitus from vitamin D should have their levels checked and if they’re low, take the recommended daily amount versus an excessive amount. Along those lines, stick to the recommended amount of any supplemental vitamin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Update: One thing I didn't mention in this post was that I have dysautonomia and I was taking a huge amount of salt pills everyday. I tried it last week without the salt and oh wow, was Vitamin D majorly energizing for me. I felt a strong effect to it and when I exercised on the rowing machine, I easily was able to get my target heart rate. At first I thought this was wonderful but after a couple of days of what felt like an adrenaline rush, it became very problematic. My heart rate was fluctuating between low 50's to mid 90's while sleeping. Perhaps if I had of used some kind of sedative to calm me I would have been okay earlier. Something must seriously be wrong with me and I hope I can figure it out.

I would like to take Vitamin D if possible because I know I am deficient. Does anyone know if it needs to be slowly introduced in some people?

23. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think it's important to know though what caused your tinnitus. I have seem some people say that Vitamin D made their tinnitus worse and I've also seen some people say Vitamin D made their tinnitus better. What would be nice is to know is if Vitamin D makes certain types of tinnitus caused by a certain reason worse and certain types of tinnitus caused by another reason better.

24. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      This thread should be taken down, who is this guy to tell us not to take vitamin D - the world's expert on vitamins and tinnitus?

25. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      How much is too much vit D and NAC? I take both.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    26. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      Just a couple of things to know. Low vitamin D can cause insomnia. Also, even in Florida where I live, I've read from what I think are reliable sources that you can't get enough vitamin D from the sun from November-February.

Everyone might want to have levels checked and be careful not to supplement too much, but also having a deficiency is not good for a long list of reasons (including that you need vitamin D to get calcium into your bones).

I'm very unsettled about NAC, which I've been trying to take, but seems to stimulate me at night (can't sleep). And I suspect causes my tinnitus to spike temporarily but I'm not sure.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Angieuurope

Angieuurope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone.

Have any of you had a reduction of tinnitus after stopping vitamin D?

Unfortunately (hate myself for it) I gave myself high doses (50.000 IU daily) of vitamin D (+K2) for 5 days and got tinnitus on the 4th day. I've never had tinnitus before. There was no acoustic event or any other event.

It's been over a month now and I'm very desperate and worried that I've permanently damaged my hearing. There are several reports on the internet that people have developed tinnitus after high doses of vitamin D, but no one says whether it has gone away.

I wish all tinnitus sufferers a recovery. It's hell.

• Hug Hug x 3