Ear Fullness & Tinnitus Prominent After Custom Earplug Fitting

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hey, folks!

I was fitted for custom moulded ear plugs today (the procedure where they use that cold stuff to make the moulds) and am now feeling a little fullness. Seems like the tinnitus might have ramped up some, as well. Wondering if anyone else experienced this after a custom fitting; is it just a "thing" that happens?

Better news (or at least I think it is!) is that I had an ENT follow-up last week and audiology test is stable, even though the tinnitus has gone to both sides since the first tests when I first started dealing with tinnitus.

Audiologist wanted to do LDL test today, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that with the sound sensitivities, so I refused it. It was basically a hearing aid consult, but I've been wanting to get custom plugs and they offered to do the moulds so I did. (I went to a different audiologist than the one I've been working with for this, as he does not work with the insurance I have in terms of aids and custom plugs, and this other company does.)

Audiology test shows loss in high frequency range and has since the beginning; not even sure if hearing aids would make sense with the sensitivities to high frequency noises I'm having (cutlery, dishes, motorcycles, plastic, paper crumpling, etc.) but might qualify for a hearing aid that is basically just a WNG (or pink noise, or whatever seems most comfortable after testing).

Anyway.

A bit concerned about the fullness and increased awareness of tinnitus after fitting, so just wanted to ask around about this.

How's everyone doing? @New Guy, @glynis, @fishbone, @emmalee, @Bill Bauer, @another sean, @OnceUponaTime, @Jiri. Hope all is going well with you. Let me know how you're all doing.

Mystery Reader

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My rule of thumb is to try not to worry about a spike for the first month.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer

Thanks, Bill! How're you doing?

Mystery Reader

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I don’t know about the plug fitting but here’s to hoping it subsides and quickly.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not too bad. Busy at work.

Have you had any fading?

6. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hi, @Mystery Reader, how nice to hear from you. :huganimation:

I am doing well, thank-you so much for asking. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing some fullness and some ramping up of your tinnitus. I tend to agree with @Bill Bauer, try not to worry too much about it, which is easier said than done when it comes to tinnitus, I know.

Do keep us updated. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer
      I can't say that I have, unfortunately. In the early part of June it seemed like it might be shifting a little bit, but I wasn't really sure; right about that time I got hit with a couple of loud impulse noises (siren, motorcycle, and, the other day, a jackhammer!) so it's hard to tell. Even after all that, ENT said all looked fine inside, and there was no change from the original audiology test, as stated above. So, I'm just trying to go day to day with this thing, just like everyone else here on the forum! I hope improvements are on the way for you, if you have not had some already.

@GoatSheep Thank you for your kind thoughts!

Mystery Reader

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @emmalee
      Thank you, my friend! Always a pleasure to catch up with you, and hope that things will improve for you if they have not already begun to do so!

Mystery Reader

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Nice seeing you post again! You are always welcome to this forum :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You are most welcome.

I have improved when it comes to my acceptance of tinnitus, @Mystery Reader. The volume has yet to decrease, after 18 months of living with this. Just this past summer I had two incidences that led me to the doctor's office. I experienced two spikes that were so loud that it caused me to doubt how much more I could tolerate. Both spikes occurred during very stressful life events, leading me to (personally) believe, fully, that stress does indeed cause tinnitus to spike.

The doctor prescribed me Clonazepam to be taken "as needed." He gave me five tablets, which I still have not taken. I am a researcher, by nature, and I am not convinced that this benzodiazepine is what I need. Both spikes subsided, taking me back to baseline, within a couple of weeks.

I still take all of this one day at a time, sometimes even one moment at a time. "We need to realize, deeply, that the present moment is all we will ever have." (A favorite quote of mine)

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Mystery Reader

I'm getting better at dealing with it but it's not getting quieter. If you go to my thread you can see where I am.

I'm sorry things changed after you got fitted.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @New Guy
      Just caught up with your thread. It's one of the classics on the forum, as far as I'm concerned. (I have to be honest, though, I wish you'd give up on the power tools, although I know it's all in your line of work!) You have been so generous in sharing your experiences with everyone, and I know that thread has helped a lot of people along the way. Glad to know you've had improvement with the hyperacusis. May things continue to move in the right direction for you!

@emmalee
      So glad the spikes you experienced over the summer settled down. Your posts have always been so positive, which is why I continue to look them up whenever I sign in. My best to you always, my friend!

@fishbone
      Thank you!

Mystery Reader

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Thank-you, Mystery Reader. :huganimation: All my best to you. ❤️

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      For sure, stress can induce a T spike one you have this, no doubt there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I'm still on the fence about the cause of my tinnitus, @Digital Doc. More and more I am starting to think it was caused by stress to begin with. I had experienced terrible stress, a situation that was completely out of my control, and then tinnitus. To this day, high stress situations have caused spikes.

I may never know, but I am convinced.

16. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @emmalee

Anything is possible, but it would surprise me for someone to be purely stress induced. Just about everyone has some noise exposure somewhere throughout their lives, even if they work a quiet occupation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi,

So glad I found your post! I just had moulds taken this morning for custom ear plugs and my tinnitus has been horrible all day. It’s got me really down after a good day yesterday. Has yours settled down again yet?

Zigs

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Zigs

Hi, Zigs!

Apologies for the delay in response to your question. I'm not on the forum with any regularity these days.

To answer your question, it felt like the spike and the fullness had begun to settle, but I had a couple of instances of impulse noises in the interim that likely aggravated the problem, so I'm still riding it out right now.

I think you're going to be okay! It really did feel like things were gradually starting to settle down after the fitting, so try and take it easy. (Easier said than done, I know!)

I was waiting to post an update until I was sure, but because of the subsequent "surprises" I opted to wait a bit longer before posting. I logged in to check something else, and found your post here, so I figured I'd do that now, and then do another later on.

Let us know how you're doing! I think it's important that we all follow-up on posts like this so that folks with the same questions and concerns have something to go from.

Stay positive, Zigs, and I hope things have begun to improve for you!

(PS - Have not gotten the customs delivered yet, but hopefully soon.)

Best to you,

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 1
    19. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you very much for responding. I am also trying to stay off here and not think about T so much, but I appreciate you getting back to me! And the spike did calm down so that’s good :)

• Like Like x 1
    20. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Good news, and thanks for the followup. Hope it continues.