Ear plugs and clubbing

Discussion in 'Support' started by wagonwheel, Jun 19, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. wagonwheel
      Brooding

wagonwheel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I went to a pub back in April which was the first time I was in that sort of environment since I developed T back in January. I was not wearing ear plugs on that occasion. I was only in there about 10 minutes and had to leave as my ears were hurting and since then I have had an increase in my T which I am still hoping is just a spike.

I want to go clubbing in a few weeks plus my favourite cousin is getting married in a month and she will have a band etc and I want to protect my ears in the best way possible so what are the best type of ear plugs to buy?

2. Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      I have used foam ear plugs in the past at weddings and concerts and never had a problem. I have also used the silicone ones for my own wedding.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. citigirl13
      Dreaming

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I would advise you getting custom made earplugs to offer the best protection if you're serious. Earplugs can protect you but I have heard of people getting spikes even though they used protection. If I am honest I would advise you not going if you don't want your T to spike.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. citigirl13
      Dreaming

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I meant don't go clubbing, but of course attend your cousin's wedding. It is a lot easier at wedding to avoid loud music - not so much at a club

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      @wagonwheel ---I play in a wedding band and I have had many many 4 hour gigs that I got through with no spike either with my ER-25 filtered custom made earplugs (molds by microsonic, filters by ETY) or using 33 db NRR blue foam plugs made by "Hearo" ...Just always protect.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. wagonwheel
      Brooding

wagonwheel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I live in a small town in rural Ireland and I don't have access to buy custom made,also I have very little money right now so I was wondering would the following ear plugs protect me from loud music?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000UJ8RHE/?tag=tinntalk-21

if not can can you recommenced any ear plugs that I can purchase from Amazon/bay or sites like that?

Thanks for the advice thus far :thankyousign:

7. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      @wagonwhee
      ER-20s are good. but if you really want to be safe go with some foam ones that attenuate over 30 db. I just got home from a five hour wedding gig. I used my ER-25s half the night, but for the loud last set i used the 33 db Honeywell Bright orange ear plugs.
      Good luck.

8. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-MusicSafe-Pro-Filter-Plugs/dp/B000VO8PR0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1403418230&sr=8-16&keywords=ear plugsplugs

Get these instead. You can change the inserts for varied levels of protection, depending on the environment. I'm one of those geeks who research everything before I purchase anything. The ER20 are good, but the way I look at it, is these can be used for every type of environment within reason.

When I can afford it I'll look into customs. Until then, I think these are the best generic earplugs available. I haven't tested them yet. Luckily I'm 34 now, don't like clubbing anymore, don't like fireworks, don't really like live music. But if I go to the cinema, a wedding (mine next year ) or do any DIY, I'll make sure to have them in.

Ps. if you really can't afford anymore than £10, then the ER20s are your best buy.