Ear Plugs and Clubbing

Discussion in 'Support' started by wagonwheel, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Bill Weir

Bill Weir Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      sometime in 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long term exposure coupled with a recent transient event
      Hi!
      I'm an audio engineer and now have T. I hate to have to tell you this but there are no earplugs that can protect you in the typical nightclub environment. The best protection will only lower the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) by about 30 db. Assuming the sound is typical, it's going to hover around 105 db A when measured using long term averaging, slow response on a meter. This means there will be peaks well in excess of 120 db"A" weighted. Weighting the scales of measurement on the sound meter gives more accurate readings. "A" weighting approximates what your eardrum is sensitive to... meaning sound with the deep bass filtered out. "C" weighting includes the bass and is generally 15-30 db higher than an "A" reading. So, 105 db A (typical nightclub or major concert translates into 130 db "C" or more including the bass. How long do people generally stay in the average nightclub? Too long! 4 hour stay is average. A concert is generally 2.5 hours. Many people will stay in the club all night until they are "OK" to drive and be back in public LMAO. The drugs people do screws up their judgement and desensitizes them to physical sensation and people damage themselves without realizing it. Sound levels pretty much everywhere are TOO loud IMO. Instead of the industry standard 105 db A (Live Nation SPL cap) I like to keep it at 96-98 for people. Why so loud? Above 96 db the fight or flight response begins to kick in and you get that rush of excitement you get at a concert. It's a lot of what people pay for. Deep bass goes in through bone transconductance. You don't "hear" it with your eardrum you feel it This is how it is possible to have bass with headphones. If this transconductance did not occur, the long wavelengths that make bass would not have enough distance to unfold when using headphones. So, earplugs DO NOT protect you from low frequency damage. Not even a little bit.

So, on the one hand, you're going to have 100db + peaks getting through your earplugs in the range above 100 Hz (low note on a 4 string bass guitar is 41.7 Hz) and the bass below will pressurize your cochlea like nothing is even there, straight through the bone. Some of the subwoofer arrays I have installed in places must have security grating around them to keep people from getting within ten feet of the subwoofer array because the array produces well over 150 db down at 35Hz at 1 meter distance and would make them nauseous or in some extreme cases even worse than that.

I can say this definitively from direct personal and professional experience. If you value your hearing and do not want your tinnitus to increase, avoid these places or if you must go limit your exposure considerably.

• Genius x 3
      • Informative x 3
      • Like x 2
      • Useful x 2
      • Agree x 1
    2. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Did you receive your Eardials ? How invisible are they compared to other plugs ?

3. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      They are not much visible at all. Honestly, you can go with foam 32 or 33db plugs that are same color as your skin. If properly insearted - not more visible as eardials + have much better protection

• Like Like x 1
    4. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      They have been sent and on their way to me now. I've worn the earasers on probably 30+ dates and only once has a girl noticed them because they won't even inserted correctly, and the eardials look even more invisible.

The difference is you can probably hear and enjoy conversation wearing the eardials. If you're operating heavy machinery or using power tools of course foam plugs are more useful.

5. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Wow, you're set with lots of plugs. Can I ask... have you had all these done w/ audiologists or maybe made some impressions yourself?
      Did the making of your impressions go smoothly? Like deep impressions (less occlusion) and no touching of the ear drum?

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All these plugs that I use are standard off the shelf plugs. I've not had custom made plugs made as of yet. I just went on a search for the most discrete looking plugs I could find. I still plan to get a set of ACS custom made plugs, but have not got around to it yet.

As a way of update, I mostly use the ear dials plugs now. They are pretty much invisible, seem to provide a good seal and very comfortable. They are great for bars (again, I would use something stronger for a night club or power tools).

7. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Clubs are a ticket to lifelong T. NOT WORTH IT. This is a *serious* matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Ah, I see. Just looked up the ear dials too. A lot of products out there.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Bill Weir,

Thank you for writing such an interesting and very informative post on sound levels and hearing protection. I am an Audiophile and have been telling people as others do in this forum, about the dangers of sound levels in nightclubs and at concerts. Not to put too much trust in hearing protection as sound can reach the inner ear by bone conduction. Even low bass is harmful as you've rightly said. I am particularly against the use of "headphones" at any level when someone has developed tinnitus due to "noise trauma". However, some people with "noise induced" tinnitus use headphones and have no adverse effects but personally, I do not think it's worth taking the risk using them.

Thank you for sharing your expertise it is much appreciated.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Whew! 30+ dates, with different women each time? I am impressed and very jealous. Clearly, those fancy earplugs of yours have turned you into a complete chick magnet as well! Must be something in that tropical Cairns air.

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Since writing that post I would have gone on over 100+ dates. Do not let anybody tell you Tinnitus can stop you from dating girls :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Bill Weir Hello mate, tnx for your detail information.As far as I understand, speaking about the best quality ear protectors can protect only 30db. So night clubs have from 90-110 db. I dont understand almost nothing about this, but from simple logic is this mean that 70 db are getting to your ear beacuse ear protectors only save about 30db from 100 ?? For people like us who have tinnitus what dB is considered to be safe ? I was wondering what is the reasonable loudness that cannot heart us.

13. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      Clubbing caused my tinnitus - have a look at my old posts and I was in serious despair. Since then, every clubbing/loud music event has made the T a bit worse.

Please be careful if you're gonna go clubbing!

The earplugs I use are the Flare Audio Isolates and they do a fantastic job, though no earplugs will protect you 100% from a night of clubbing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      There are studies showing that the powerful bass sound waves - not cut well by plugs - are agitating the liquid and cells inside the cochlea and making hair cells less able to withstand high frequency soundwaves

The combination of powerful bass and piercing high frequncies are what makes clubbing dangerous even with plugs - there is more to it than just Db numbers

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Tinnitus won't stop you from getting dates but hearing loss and the need to avoid loud places will greatly limit your social life....Hearing loss makes conversations hard to hear and increases social isolation which leads to depression and dementia...Tinnitus and hyperacusis DO go hand in hand with hearing loss

16. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      The second time my tinnitus relapsed was when I went to a wedding with custom made silicone earplugs.

I wore earplugs but the destruction was made.

The better is if you have tinnitus to avoid loud places even with earplugs.

Earmuffs like Peltor X5A are marginally better than earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Do you mean you had a permanent worsening of your T after attending a wedding party with plugs in?

18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Some people think the wearing of earplugs, earmuffs and ear defenders, will protect them from loud noise exposure, that could make their tinnitus or hyperacusis worse. Some go further and invest in high quality custom made earplugs and think, they are perfectly safe to go clubbing where loud music is likely to be played. One can do this but caution should be applied. If external sound is loud enough, even the best hearing protection will not stop loud sounds passing through the skull and being transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction.

Michael

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    19. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I lost about a year of my life to heal from this event.It was a semi-permanent worsening.

20. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      I think many of us with moderate to severe tinnitus would say clubbing is a "no way in hell, it's not worth it."

I know one of the best things we can do is to try and keep on enjoying life and activities, but do you really want to risk making it worse?

Just my .02c. :)