Electrical Stimulation on Acupuncture Points

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by M.K., Mar 27, 2019.

1. M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      https://www.healthcmi.com/Acupunctu...1728-acupuncture-found-effective-for-tinnitus

“A research team in Sichuan, China, achieved significant positive patient outcomes by employing the use of electrical stimulation to acupuncture points. Compared with conventional manual acupuncture therapy, the addition of electroacupuncture to the treatment protocol increased clinical effectiveness for the treatment of tinnitus by 25.1%. Conventional manual acupuncture achieved a 64.5% total effective rate; however, electroacupuncture achieved an 89.6% total effective rate.”​

My acupuncturist showed me this article today. Any thoughts?

• Like Like x 3
    2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Yes, I think the 64.5 percent for efficacy rate is way too generous, from personal experience and threads on this forum. 10 percent would be tops. Mixed with electricity sounds awesome, but it's not neuromodulation, the numbers seem way too high. I love acupuncture, but not for tinnitus.

3. incelitus
      Question it

incelitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      qtip gangbang/kurt cobain
      Chinese "research" about traditional chinese medicine is worth close to nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    4. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I tried 4 sessions of electroacupuncture and the only thing it relieved was my wallet.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Years ago I tried acupuncture and my tinnitus increased considerably and I lost hearing until I removed the needles, then everything returned to the baseline.

6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      THIS POST describes how a man from London got rid of his tinnitus after 14 years by using Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've gotten all kinds of reactions after doing acupuncture: 1) Can increase tinnitus; 2) Can decrease it; 3) can remain the same. My early visits to the acupuncturist shortly after my started produced virtually no improvements. After a few months, I started to occasionally notice modest benefits. Just recently, I had a visit where I got the biggest improvement yet, but it only lasted 3 days.

My acupuncturist is now teaching me how to do self-acupuncture so I can do it more consistently. I'm hoping longer term perserverence will pay off. Even if it doesn't improve my tinnitus, I've recently had some notable improvements in my Eustacian Tube function from doing the acupuncture.
      64.5% sounds way too high to me as well. My best guess (from reading this forum and elsewhere), is that it's around 30%+. But that figure includes a diminution of tinnitus, not just a total cessation.

8. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      1. I’ve just TODAY visited a US licensed acupuncturist who is from China. He is wonderful; so kind, caring (he listened!) & is highly experienced. He did say if my T is primary from ETD, he might be able to help.
      2. But several days ago I visited a new ENT (who also listened!) who coincidentally said he believed my T may be caused by ETD & prescribed 3 weeks of the balloon Otovent therapy. I do it 2x day. I’m to return in 2 weeks for a new hearing test & possible discussion of a tube placement.
      3. Since I’m doing these 2 brand new therapies together, I’m not sure if one or the other will work. Or none. To be determined.
      4. Note: After the acupuncture therapy, where I feel asleep for an hour, I was so calm & mellow, I really didn’t notice my T for about 6 hrs. Its slowly coming back as I write this, but much less intense & hardly loud.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Quiet please -- I'd love to hear how this turned out for you. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Is it safe ? I think I have somatosensory pulsatile tinnitus I, can reduce the volume of my tinnitus by clenching my jaw and sometimes the tinnitus become pulsatile.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      I tried several months of traditional acupuncture and electroacupuncture with zero results. It was as relaxing as it was useless. Stay away from this dubious method. The paper mentioned at the start of the thread is likely a self-serving publication closer to technical marketing than to an useful treatment. Remember that in Chinese medicine T is related to the health of the liver. :)

12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @InfiniteLoop -- In case you're interested, THIS POST describes how a man from London got rid of his tinnitus after 14 years by using Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

13. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Lane

It sounds like an anecdotical story with little relevance to me. It contains magical elements. I do not have an internal imbalance. I have hearing loss and we all know how irreversible it is. We keep looking in the wrong places with all this alternative medicine. Magic is not going to save us.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Hmm, I see these devices available for purchase. Has anyone tried them?