Elon Musk’s Neuralink Looking to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Jack Straw, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      • Informative x 10
      • Like x 8
      • Optimistic x 4
      • Helpful x 2
      • Agree x 1
    2. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    3. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      • Funny Funny x 11
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I figured that for the future implementation of bionic eyes and ears you also must assess tinnitus and visual snow that are likely to be caused by the previous removal of the human eye and ear (or if they were previously lost). I learned that people who become blind (and arent born blind) potentially have visual snow (just as deaf people often have T). I also wonder if a brain-computer interface itself could cause thalamocortical dysrhythmia. If it does, it would certainly lead to accelerated research to find a cure for tinnitus, visual snow etc., as these would cause problems with bionic eyes, ears and brain-computer interfaces.

Edit: this goes for all future super-human artificial organs and limbs (phantom pain due to removal of a limb is also a form of thalamocortical dysrhythmia).

• Genius Genius x 1
    5. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-that-the-singularity-will-happen-by-2045

The singularity is that point in time
      when all the advances in technology, particularly in artificial intelligence (AI), will lead to machines that are smarter than human beings. Kurzweil’s timetable for the singularity is consistent with other predictions,– notably those of Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son, who predicts that the dawn of super-intelligent machines will happen by 2047. But for Kurzweil, the process towards this singularity has already begun.

“That leads to computers having human intelligence, our putting them inside our brains, connecting them to the cloud, expanding who we are. Today, that’s not just a future scenario,” Kurzweil said. “It’s here, in part, and it’s going to accelerate.”

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Robert Aleman

Robert Aleman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      How exactly would this heal tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I imagine this will be a great imaging device of the brain in the future which includes the possibility to see the inner ear in action and to potentially view hair cell damage in the cochlea. It may even help us determine what specific type of damage leads to which thing (hyperacusis, tinnitus, brain disorders, etc.).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      Elon Musk Has Announced His A.I Implant Could...

Testing on humans within a year! I doubt it but still!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Neuralink will work for tinnitus because it does the same thing as classical deep brain stimulation which evidently does work for tinnitus. The question is just how much precision can be achieved with Neuralink.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Elon Musk's girlfriend, musician Grimes, has tinnitus.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
    11. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      If I remember right one of the biggest challenges is that the implanted electrodes become isolated in the brain (glial scar) and eventually break down because their much smaller than a rod used for deep brain stimulation.

12. jordan chis
      Caffeine

jordan chis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If this could help tinnitus, is there any hope that it could help hyperacusis as well?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Taking drugs on penile fracture
      @Hazel

On 28.8. Elon Almighty should give an update on Neuralink.

Can we do something on behalf of Tinnitus Talk to ask him / Neuralink how a Neuralink implant could address tinnitus eventually, if they even consider this usage path?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      They consider tinnitus. Neuralink mentioned tinnitus in one of their slides during a presentation they had in summer 2019.

neuralink-tinnitus.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    15. egowisp
      Lurking

egowisp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue. past headphone use, probably.
      Seems like a good way to gain test subjects/lab rats.

"Yeah guys I can totally cure your incurable debilitating illness ;) let me shove my chip into your brain lol"

I don't trust this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Utopia

Utopia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1997, then resolved til recent worsening
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert, Acoustic Trauma
      https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...sk-neuralink-brain-chip-hearing-a9647306.html

In a report by Independent, Musk revealed that the chip will allow the wearer to hear things that they weren't able to hear before as it was out of a human's hearing range, meaning the Neuralink chip can be used to "extend range of hearing beyond normal frequencies and amplitudes."

On a related note, a redditer explained how Neuralink will resolve tinnitus. How plausible is this?

"They will implant the electrodes in your Auditory Cortex. Then identify what the neural patterns in that area look like when you are suffering from the ringing in your ears. Then they will try and stimulate those neurons with destructive interference to cancel out that ringing, it's a similar technique to how noise canceling headphones work just with brain signals instead of audio ones."

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    17. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I don't want to hear more sounds.

I'd give up anything above 10 kHz just to make sure that my useful hearing range will be preserved and I no longer have to hear these phantom noises.

On another note, I believe this will work much like DBS, where they will move around the nodes while you are awake until they find the area where you can no longer hear the tinnitus.

BTW, I honestly believe that Neurolink will be the first and most effective treatment for tinnitus. I'm also certain it'll be coming this decade. Thank you daddy Elon.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      This technology, if it works, should be the last resort. There are risks for brain surgery, such as infections that can be fatal. And then there's the risk of developing autoimmune disease from the implant. The Neuralink isn't as happy go lucky as it is in science fiction. I agree with @egowisp that it's a good way to get guinea pigs...

19. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      There is a risk for any surgery of getting an inflection. It is unlikely. Still, I agree. I'd be willing to get something like this done as a last resort or later on until it's proved to be relatively safe.

Still hoping for some sort of pill or injection that can reduce or get rid of tinnitus. I believe that may happen sooner than we think too.

20. egowisp
      Lurking

egowisp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no clue. past headphone use, probably.
      Just want to say that this man could definitely fund any number of non-invasive projects for tinnitus (pills, shots, etc.) but he wants to instead put a chip in your brain. A billionaire who profits off the suffering of millions wants to put a chip in your brain.

Please for the love of God do not look at this as a good thing! Be suspicious and be mindful.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      To me this has actually got the submarine rescue written all over it again. Musk makes a claim contending that he can come up with an advanced treatment that is questionable, unproven and somewhat illogical.

It is then going to have to compete with the science-based treatments (potentially coming soon) which I can see trumping Musk's invention. Then Musk is maybe chucking another meltdown over being rejected for more conventional/correct treatment.

Thus I too will be totally steering away from this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      One thing Musk is able to do is increase awareness and create markets for products/businesses. So, while many are frustrated how little attention hearing loss/tinnitus gets despite how big of a problem is.. it is an industry/market ripe for disruption, and Musk brings a lot of new investment/interest by calling attention to it with Neuralink.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    23. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      There's a page linked a few posts back that lists seven conditions that Neuralink may someday treat. Tinnitus is last on the list. Someone's just plucked a list of conditions that involve the brain out of thin air. This guy's part genius and part fruitcake with a god complex. I won't be lining up to have him put an electrode in my brain any time soon.

24. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      You're all way too pessimistic. Parkinson's and tinnitus will likely be the first conditions to be treated because they are already treatable with classic deep brain stimulation so the mechanism of treatment is already known. Neuralink is to a large part just DBS 2.0.

• Agree Agree x 4
    25. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I would agree with that. Tesla software is already responsible for killing some drivers and I was half expecting the SpaceX crew capsule to somehow kill its crew on its maiden manned voyage. There may be good developers under his wing but Musk is a very trial and error sort of person which was fine with regular software but is reckless in life-and-death situations. The negative experiences of some Lenire users should be reason enough to be cautious of brain-hacking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Musk does best when he has science supporting his claims and also when he has an option which can disrupt the mainstream market.

I predict that this won’t take off because, unlike with Tesla, I don’t see a health regulatory body being willing to approve this unless somehow Musk can prove it is super super safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I would put much more stock in this if he had a chief scientific officer specializing in artificial neural interfacing that could at least speak to the specific science behind this.

So far, it just sounds like a cool idea Musk had and he thinks he can delegate this into reality (and maybe he can but i need at least some specifics to get on board)

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Nyx
      Tired

Nyx Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html

This was written 3 years ago as Neuralink was created but it's still very relevant. The author is a Musk fanboy but really good at making complicated stuff easy to understand. It's long (like 197 PDF pages equivalent long) but worth the read if you're interested in this stuff.

Personally I think BCI's will eventually be able to fully treat tinnitus, but at least 10 years later than Musk thinks and the technological leaps required to get there won't be made by him.

• Like Like x 1
    29. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I can’t see it taking ten years. I reckon Musk might put in money to try and speed this up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      He has already invested $100 million into the company. He is likely to invest more. Not like he has a shortage of money with his recent uptick in wealth.