Elon Musk’s Neuralink Looking to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Jack Straw, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      • Informative Informative x 9
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    3. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. HeavyMantra
      Depressed

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017. Worsened 10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, concerts with earplugs?
      Yeeeehaaaw

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication
      • Funny Funny x 3
    6. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I figured that for the future implementation of bionic eyes and ears you also must assess tinnitus and visual snow that are likely to be caused by the previous removal of the human eye and ear (or if they were previously lost). I learned that people who become blind (and arent born blind) potentially have visual snow (just as deaf people often have T). I also wonder if a brain-computer interface itself could cause thalamocortical dysrhythmia. If it does, it would certainly lead to accelerated research to find a cure for tinnitus, visual snow etc., as these would cause problems with bionic eyes, ears and brain-computer interfaces.

Edit: this goes for all future super-human artificial organs and limbs (phantom pain due to removal of a limb is also a form of thalamocortical dysrhythmia).

7. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-that-the-singularity-will-happen-by-2045

The singularity is that point in time
      when all the advances in technology, particularly in artificial intelligence (AI), will lead to machines that are smarter than human beings. Kurzweil’s timetable for the singularity is consistent with other predictions,– notably those of Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son, who predicts that the dawn of super-intelligent machines will happen by 2047. But for Kurzweil, the process towards this singularity has already begun.

“That leads to computers having human intelligence, our putting them inside our brains, connecting them to the cloud, expanding who we are. Today, that’s not just a future scenario,” Kurzweil said. “It’s here, in part, and it’s going to accelerate.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Robert Aleman

Robert Aleman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      How exactly would this heal tinnitus?

9. Mathieulh
      Busy

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      So far it seems like snake oil considering we have very little detail as to how this technology actually works. I am also not so keen on doing extensive brain surgery to get some brain implant/interface that's connected, makes our brain much susceptible to possible EM interferences/fields damages, and can possibly be remotely hacked.

This would be a last resort as far as I am concerned.

This is likely going to be about as "successful" as the other of Musk's projects, such as the Hyperloop or replacing plane travels by rockets, both of which, if you know about the actual practicalities (and restrictions) brought on and applied by the laws of physics, are bound to fail.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      It takes time to fix the major problems of humanity.. Any billionaire interesting in extending human life and curing diseases is on our side. Tinnitus doesn't have to be a main focus to be cured possibly one day. Just as many medicines came about intended to cure one thing, only to help with another. Hell even Coca-Cola came about as a medicine only to be realized as a delicious fizzy pop drink.

While many may not be okay with brain surgery, we have to try all avenues. Maybe I'm desperate, but seeing how much tinnitus made my life spiral out of control, I'd be willing to risk cancer or death by even applying myself to be in some of these trials. If there's a chance I could live 5 years without tinnitus and then I'd die, I'd bet on that.

Money can't solve a problem like this instantly, but it can lead to more awareness and cures faster. Neuralink already has $100M to work with and will get more. And not every one of Musk's ideas has to be great, just as many entrepreneurs fail... but all it takes is one good idea. SpaceX is great for the government and Tesla is great for the car enthusiasts and environmentally concerned consumers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. razo

razo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
    12. razo

razo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. TikTok

TikTok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaping
      Snake oil? This isn't the first brain machine interface, they've been around for quite some time. Look at the Utah Arrays being used currently. Neuralink is just increasing the resolution with 10-100 times the number of electrodes (as well as reducing size and effect of immune response/rejection).

As for being remotely hacked? You'd need the external power adapter to be currently be connected, and be pretty close in proximity given it's currently using bluetooth. As for EM interference? If it's that much of a concern you could use Faraday cages on the electrodes. I mean there is still a lot of R&D to be done obviously, but this isn't exactly new tech, it's just VASTLY improved versions of what is already being used. Wait until you hear about the heart implants people are currently using!

I also got a kick out of you questioning Elon's ability to get things done, and questioning his grasp of physics (especially at the low levels, first principles thinking is his shtick). It's very suspect when people bring up this point when you look at what he and his teams have accomplished in such a small amount of time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Mathieulh
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here are a bunch of (very informative Scientific based) videos from one of the many people who actually know what they are doing and are reviewing the typical BS Elon Musk throws away his (well, more like his investors') money to:

BFR -Earth to Earth: BUSTED!

The Hyperloop: BUSTED!

How the Hyperloop can kill you!

Elon Musks Hyperloop: BUSTED!

Hyperloop, HyperSPEED, HYPERMADNESS!

Elon musks- Flying Car.. BUSTED!!

Elon Musk would be a great science fiction writer but not much of an actual scientist.

There is "clever" BS marketing, and there are the laws of physics, I'll let you guess which wins out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Soren

Soren Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      Enlighten us on how this pertains to Neuralink specifically? What is it exactly that goes beyond the laws of physics?

16. Mathieulh
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't, because Neuralink provides no actual details whatsoever as to how their technology actually works, and until they do, it is no better than snake oil. Good luck arguing against something that's running on fumes and for which no science is actually provided.

Fancy presentations are one thing, data is another. In an age for which cochlear implants don't even provide/replace all the hearing spectrum, having a brain-machine interface is currently somewhat of a pipe dream. It takes more than just sending a bunch of electrical impules to the brain to get proper applications for this type of technology, let alone improving tinnitus outcomes.

As to the above, let's say Elon Musk has a track record of investing in ridiculous ideas that are not practical or achievable, this does not bode well for his current/future investments. This does include Neuralink, which so far is not tangible whatsoever.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. fade2black244
      Inspired

fade2black244 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/24/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I imagine this will be a great imaging device of the brain in the future which includes the possibility to see the inner ear in action and to potentially view hair cell damage in the cochlea. It may even help us determine what specific type of damage leads to which thing (hyperacusis, tinnitus, brain disorders, etc.).

18. Joeymeatballs
      Curious

Joeymeatballs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      This post makes it pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all you're obsessed with HyperLoop. Congrats you found an idea that didnt work out. Now do all the amazing ideas that his companies are on the cutting edge of. Or are you just gonna pretend like Tesla isn't the first legitimate electric car company in the fucking world?

Also, in the video about the flying car, elon musk literally talks about why flying cars suck..and why he has the boring company instead. Sooo yeah, fuck off

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Mathieulh
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you need to be so aggressive and go on swearing at people? Can't you have a proper constructive argument instead?

• Agree Agree x 2