Famous People with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by aapeli, Mar 9, 2011.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      It's just beyond me why aren't those celebrities doing anything?
      Do they not mind having t?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Some of them might have mild T, which does not affect you in any way.
      When a person develops severe T, he cannot play professional football anymore...

3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Having tinnitus is VERY bad for your image. It still stigmatizes you as a crazy person.
      I am in contact with a real celebrity, a musician who lives in a big fancy mansion in NJ.
      If you want I could ask him your question.

4. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      He should get off his famous ass and help!
      There's no shame in having t!
      And yes please ask him my question:)

5. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Having a mild t, and going again and again in front of 30.000 to 100.000 loud supporters 130+ db is definitely make mild to severe t, after some period.
      And we all have never heard that any sport player (beside one hockey) has a t. or has retired because of t. :S
      And every weekend there are thousands of loud matches worldwide...

That is very strange...only could be explained by some body chemistry of players that are on the court... or??

6. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      @Stina

I have read and been told that statistically, T affects far more men than women.

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Professional musicians have insurance problems when they acknowledge having tinnitus.

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It IS very strange indeed! And to be honest, I wondered that myself many times....

9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Maybe professional football players have the same problem! (I would assume they are insured as well?)
      Also if they retire due to severe tinnitus, they would not announce it to the world! (that would make them be remembered as crazies) - so theres your possible explanation @markoana

10. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Really, very strange, in my country sport is big deal, so when I was younger whenever i went to some match, it was heavy loud. We have inside arena with 23.000 seats, been once, 5 years ago, and never again.
      So i can not understand sport players not to have t. after hundreds of those matches...

And about early retired, because insurance can cover it..hm..not so sure, I have never seen that beside after some heavy injury. And it is still rear, specially if player is younger than 27, they all come back even after breaking both legs...

Still think that is because of some kind of body chemistry though the match, that protect the athlete... It could be beneficial for t. researchers to take that analyses. Maybe it can be helpful for finding a cure, or prevention...

11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I think its simply that athletes have superior genetics and tinnitus susceptibility is genetic.
      Professional athletes dont suffer from GAD or panic attack syndrome for example.
      They generally have a MUCH stronger nervous system than the average person and at the end of the day, tinnitus IS a nervous system disorder.
      Therefore I suggest you marry a footballer (if ur a lass)

12. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Good point, I never even thought of sport people, sure they are exposed to a lot of noise too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
    14. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      guy Kawasaki ... kind of famous VC

15. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      from Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Putting celebrities aside I am pretty shocked by the fact that Ronald Reagan also had it and developed it prior becoming a president (he developed it at his years as an actor). This means his intellectual capabilities were not affected by T, which semohow I cannot understand. Even though my T is mild I have huge problems to be productive at work to the same extent I was prior T onset, and here goes a man with T who became president of USA having it. He must have known some trick how to ignore his T, I wish I could find my own trick to do so.

17. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Mentos
      Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Many people learn to habituate to tinnitus, by finding their own copining stratagies and having a positive outlook on life.

Positivity is parmount if one is to move forwards and this is possible in many instances. Unfortuantely, some people never habituate because nothing less than a complete cure is acceptable.
      To give you an insight into what I mean to be positive about life and tinnitus, please read the post below.
      All the best
      Michael

Positivity and tinnitus

For some people prolonged intrusive tinnitus can be very stressful and at times debilitating. This can sometimes lead to depression and a person may need to go on a course of antidepressants. I have often been asked in tinnitus forums and via email “It is great if you’re able to be positive, but simply telling someone to be more positive about tinnitus isn’t going to change anything”. I want to clarify here and now, that isn’t what I mean.

Thinking more positive about tinnitus and bringing positivity into your life takes time it isn’t achieved overnight or by simply thinking to yourself “I must be positive about my life”.

If a person wants to improve the quality of their life they have to be prepared to try and help themselves, because there is no wonder drug or operation that can cure tinnitus at this time. Unless a person faces these facts they will forever be trawling the Internet going from forum to forum complaining why there is no treatment for tinnitus when actually many of these people want a complete cure.

I once read a newspaper article that mentioned: nineteen out of twenty medical conditions cannot be cured. Someone once told me “I don’t want to be positive about tinnitus, I hate it. Being positive wont make it go away. This is true, however, thinking more positive and bringing positivity into your life will reduce the perception on how you relate to tinnitus. CBT and TRT are based on having a positive attitude, without that these treatments aren’t effective.

Long before CBT, TRT and the Internet came on the scene Doctors have been telling tinnitus patients, there’s no cure you’ll have to learn to live with it. Most of us know this is easier said than done.

So how does one start to think more positive about their tinnitus and to bring positivity into their life?

The fact that someone with tinnitus is reading this page, suggests to me their tinnitus for today at least isn’t so intrusive that they are unable to function, for that I’m pleased because this is something positive, instead of lying in bed on medication doing nothing. If you are able to work that’s even better as your tinnitus isn’t so severe you’re incapacitated. I see this as something positive in a person’s life. Being able to earn a living and support yourself. Therefore, you’re able to do all the daily tasks one needs to survive in this world. You may have some difficulty granted, but you’re still achieving and that's progress.

It is still better than someone that is visually impaired or severely disabled and unable to earn a living. Or, people with severe tinnitus that are depressed and on medication and unable to work. So by looking at our own circumstances and seeing what we’re able to do and achieve we can think more positively about ourselves. There is nothing more satisfying than being independent and I suggest you hold onto those thoughts.

If you live by yourself consider getting a cat or a dog so your home environment won’t feel so lonely. If you have a partner and family think about spending some quality time with them, as this can help reinforce your sense of belonging, and the love that binds you together, then your tinnitus won’t make you feel so isolated. Sometimes opening up sharing your thoughts and how you feel can help immensely and keep negativity at bay.

I have just given a synopsis of what I believe can help a person’s quality of life improve with positive thinking. It doesn’t happen overnight but a lot can be achieved when one is prepared to try. By moving forwards and taking one day at a time you can occasionally look back and see how far you have come.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      You completely mischaracterize Ronald Reagan's struggle with tinnitus. Tinnitus in his life subtracted 50 IQ pts. He would have had an IQ of 180 and possibly found a cure for cancer. Instead he had a high enough functioning level of IQ to perform as president and of course have his schedule dictated by mommy (Nancy) and horoscope. ;)

19. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How did you come to this conclusion that T took away 50 IQ pts, is it something he admitted at some of his interviews or is it your best guestimate?

20. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's an interesting outlook Michael. I do move on with my life, unfortunately quality of file is quite impacted. I recently lost my managerial position in a big corporation because of my concentration problems and lack of engagement and enthusiasm. Tinnitus even though mild in my case brought a depression on me and even now after over 1.5 years after onset I have difficulties to accept that silence is lost for good and there is no cure and may never be. Difficult to say if I'm habituated, in general T does not stop me from doing anything, except for difficulties at work - but in the end I still work. Now after 1.5 years I start to get back to life and I I try to bring as much as possible positivity to my life: I meet with people a lot, I do read a lot, watch movies, ride a motorcycle and bicycle, plan with my wife to have a child. Still I'm said most of a time and I can't stop dwelling on lost silence, at least once everyday I think about how wonderful it would be to sit in silence and simply hear nothing.

How is it in your case? You have T for 20 years, did you accept it to the level that it never bothers you and you never think about silence anymore? I just long for these lazy days of doing nothing just staying home without being bothered by any problems.
      My wife instead who has T for about 10years now is not bothered by it at all (at least that's what she claims). And it's not that she is overly active to forget about T, she is lazy at times, spends quite a lot of time at home doing nothing or not much, petting our cat, watching TV, housekeeping, reading from time to time or just sitting in silence doing nothing (sic!). The last one impossible for me, I have to be occupied by something to feel relatively good - watching TV, reading, listening to radio/music, housekeeping or be outside doing things. Sitting on my ass doing nothing only brings anxiety on me. Since we plan to have a child soon I'm a bit worried about days to be spent in hospital with my wife doing nothing and just waiting, I'm affraid as well I will have to spend much more time at home when a child comes trapped in 4 walls with my T.
      And finally I observe big personality change in my case - I used to like spending my time alone, doing my things reading, biking, traveling, planning different things etc. Now I honestly feel the worst when I'm alone, when with my wife at home or surrounded by people I feel I'm distracted from my T or at least T does not affect me emotionally as much as when I'm alone.

21. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I was joking. Subtraction of intellect due to tinnitus is unknowable. It can't be calculated. There are many high cognitive functioning people with tinnitus including Rhodes Scholar, impeached and corrupt Bill Clinton.:)

22. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Mentos
      Hi Mentos,
      Thank you for writing a detail post and explaining your life and what you have been through. I know that it hasn't been easy for you but hang in there and don't give up.
      Life is problematic and very few of us go through it without having problems. Instead of thinking what you are not able to do with your tinnitus. Try to think my positively by thinking: what I am able to do. You have asked me how to I cope with my tinnitus. Well, I think you might be in for a surprise.

I was medically retired from my job many years ago because of my tinnitus and in 2008 it increased to insurmountable levels. It took me 4 years to habituate for the 2nd time and now my tinnitus ranges from: silent, mild, moderate, severe and extremely severe. However, I look positively at life. That doesn't mean I don't have down times, I just try to make sure I don't make negativity overwhelm me.

Below is a post titled: My experience with tinnitus. Please read it as it may help to give you a different outlook on life.
      All the best
      Michael
      I have variable tinnitus, which can be: silent, mild, moderate and severe. It no longer reaches the “extreme” levels I refer to in the post below: My experience with tinnitus. Hopefully it will give you some reassurance, that even when tinnitus is severe it can improve with time, and habituation will happen with the right help.

I believe my twenty years experience living with tinnitus qualifies me for saying this. Just the same as others in this forum that have had tinnitus for longer and also to those that have had it for less time.

Even though tinnitus is a common condition, I believe it is only those that have experienced intrusive tinnitus to the point where these levels have been sustained for a period of time and they’ve had to seek help at ENT will know how debilitating it can be. Anyone that hasn’t been through this process won’t have any understanding of what severe tinnitus is like or how it can affect one’s daily life and emotional well-being. For this reason, most Hearing Therapists and Audiologists, that practice tinnitus counselling, were either born with tinnitus or acquired it at some time in their life.

My Experience With Tinnitus

I have had bilateral tinnitus for twenty years and have learnt to habituate to it twice. Anyone that would like to read my early years with the condition I will be posting an article titled: Advice for tinnitus newbies and beyond at a later date.

My story covers the last seven years, when my tinnitus increased to insurmountable levels for reasons I’m not sure of. I was listening to music on my HI-FI late one evening and turned up the volume, although I didn’t believe the sound was set too high. I was listening to a Haydn symphony but the next day my tinnitus returned with a vengeance; it became loud and very intrusive for many weeks. I returned to ENT for further treatment and started a second course of TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) that lasted over two years.

Although I had some success with TRT for the second time my tinnitus didn’t return to its previous manageable levels. I was left with large fluctuations in its intensity that could be variable on a daily basis from: Silent, mild, moderate, extremely severe.

My previous experience with tinnitus had taught me to try and have a positive outlook on life no matter how dire the circumstances. I learned this back in the days as a tinnitus newbie, and got inspiration from more experienced people at forums that were seasoned to tinnitus. Having a positive outlook helped me through some difficult times and I believed it would do so again.

I tried to remain optimistic that my tinnitus would return to how it once was but in October 2010 for the first time I began having doubts. I sensed my T had reached a plateau and things were no longer improving and depression started to set in. I made an appointment to see my Consultant and explained my concerns, and asked her to please be candid about my condition. I was informed that in all her years of practicing Audiovestibular medicine, she had only met one other patient with tinnitus as severe as mine. She explained the large fluctuations in my tinnitus, almost on a daily basis was not typical of the condition but said she wouldn’t give up on treating me. Her last words gave me a glimmer of hope.

I was prescribed clonazapam and told it is some times given to patients with severe tinnitus as it can help. I was advised to only take it when my tinnitus is very intrusive. If it is taken regularly the body quickly habituates to it so higher doses are needed to get the same effect. I was also told some people can become addicted to it and the side effects can be unpleasant. I found clonazapam helpful but didn’t take it regularly as I didn’t want dependency to set in. My GP monitored me closely with the amount of medication I was taking.

The fluctuations in my tinnitus remained and at times daily life became a struggle. When my tinnitus was moderate I could cope due to my previous years of habituation. However, when it was severely intrusive I had to take my clonazapam and go to bed whatever the time of day, as I just couldn’t function. My social life was non-existent and at times my positivity became very low. I was an avid reader and hadn’t read a book in over two years.

In March 2011, I began using a product that treats tinnitus. Over the following year the intensity the tinnitus gradually reduced, but I must stress it was slow. I began taking clonazapam less and gradually returned to reading. It used to take me up to three weeks to read a novel due to the fluctuating intensity of my tinnitus; I can now finish a book in four to five days. My social life improved and I was able to carry out remodelling my house.

Christmas 2011, I saw my Consultant and mentioned the severity of my tinnitus was reducing although I still do get bad days but coping better without always having to take medication. I asked if it’s possible that I can remain as an outpatient instead of being discharged, just in case my tinnitus flares up again. I have a very good rapport with my Dr who readily agreed to my request.

My Dr was very pleased with my improvement and asked what had brought about the change. At that time I didn’t think it necessary to mention the product I have been using, as I believe it is a combination of things. Having a caring and understanding GP, Hearing Therapist and ENT Dr. Medication has also helped and also having a positive attitude and the belief things will get better. I thanked my Consultant and Hearing Therapist for all their help over the last four years. More than once I have made a phone call or written a letter to ENT and they have seen me in clinic.

The tinnitus device that I’ve been using I believe has helped a lot, and think it right to mention I have been using something. However, I have chosen not to mention its name as the inventor states it won’t help everyone. I took a chance as I was in a desperate situation last year and prepared to try anything. However, I did do my research and read at Forums, that it helped other tinnitus sufferers but not all. I am pleased it has helped me. I wasn’t looking to be cured, if my tinnitus remained at a moderate level and even spiked occasionally I can live happily with that (habituate). Only when it was severely loud and very intrusive on a daily basis at times, did it become a problem. I haven’t had to take clonazapam, as regularly there was a time I needed to take it every other day.

I would like to finish by saying: Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people have it the same. It can be: mild, moderate, or severe. Intermittent or constant. In one ear or both. It can fluctuate or remain at a constant level. Hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) can also be present.

Many people successfully habituate to tinnitus either with, or without treatment. This does involve acceptance and having a positive outlook on life and the condition and not to see it as a threat to your well-being.

Help is also available at an ENT clinic and each person's needs will be different. For some people their tinnitus will reduce to a level where they hardly notice it and may just require tinnitus counselling and using sound enrichment. Others may find hearing aid/s helpful. WNGs (white noise generators) are also good. In some cases medication can be prescribed. Success can also be sought using complementary medicine and/or tinnitus devices. There are really no set rules on how one reaches habituation, but I believe it is something that everyone with T can reach in time.

Michael

PS: The product that I used to help my tinnitus, I continue with it but prefer not to mention its name so please do not ask. It is expensive and I would feel very guilty if it didn't help anyone that bought it.

23. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Wow Mentos, everything you wrote is the very same for me.
      That I've lost my silence is one thing but that I've lost my ability to really rest is another. I miss to feel at home in myself.

Also same about work and having a child.

I do everything I did before. But unmotivated without pleasure and with constant concern about bringing myself in uncomfortable (silent) situations and to be overstrained.

I really wonder why it is so unpleasant after all. It's just a sound.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Ah cmon buddy. Say it! Private message will do. :D

25. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
    26. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
    27. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Because of statements like this ? :hungry:

"Despite his problems, Martin still goes to concerts. ‘But these days I make sure that if I go to gigs I don’t stand right in front of the speakers,’ he says. ‘I don’t wear ear protectors because I like the full surround-sound effect."

28. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      So now we know T is the sound of his soul. :headphone:

I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well, it made good reading, nice to know we aren't alone. It sometimes drives him to distraction, join the club Martin!! Amazing that he doesn't use ear plugs at gigs, asking for more trouble methinks.

30. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Do you argue that there is a "substraction"? Because of lack of focus?