Famous People with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by aapeli, Mar 9, 2011.

1. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown:medication,cannabis,stress,sleep deprivation
      In an ideal world all the celebrities with tinnitus would be front running the request to raise awareness and increase funding to research.

An effective tinnitus organisation should be capable of gathering and convincing celebrities to make an effort just once a year to have an event (like a march) to bring tinnitus to the forefront. Imagine 50 celebrities, like Johnny Depp and many others walking in front of a 50,000 people march full of tinnitus sufferers (with earplugs) and families.

• Agree Agree x 5
    2. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      I think it might (partially) have something to do with the fact that he claims to have had some form of tinnitus for as long as he can remember. He’s practically had his whole life to get used to it, it’s his ‘normal’. Aside from that I imagine he lives quite an exciting and distracting life.

I suppose for us it illustrates a possibility of habituation and the need to build an interesting/distracting life around our conditions. Best of luck to you!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      They really need to put big signs up outside concerts, nightclubs, loud venues displaying expected decibels and a warning that prolonged exposure will cause hearing damage etc. etc. Like seriously, they have warnings on cigarette packets, for movies, computer games, tv shows in terms of content, but noise ...nothing.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 1
    5. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Exactly what i thought.. it would’ve saved me..

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    6. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's probably easier when you're rich.

7. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      One of the few books by Rousseau that I have not read, so I did not know this. Thanks.

8. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      There is a YouTube video that mentions how it hardly affected Nimoy but drove Shatner insane. Again how it affects people in different ways. I wonder how they carry on playing Chris Martin from Coldplay as well. Coldplay stated they are not touring due to impact on the environment. I wonder if it's BS and the real reason is Chris's tinnitus.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      They should be fair with their fans and say openly that being exposed to the decibel levels of a rock concert is plain dangerous for hearing. But the music industry will never be open and honest on this topic, tinnitus, and hearing problems in general caused by concerts or loud venues.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    11. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Playing instruments, home theater headphones and so on. Not everyone is tormented however and some obtain it through different means.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Maybe. But, celebrities who say they have tinnitus never express the nature of theirs in the detail people do here.

Or at least almost never.

13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Lots of people have tinnitus. So, a number of celebrities have tinnitus. So what?

Questions: How bad is their tinnitus?
      How many have severe tinnitus?
      How do they describe their supposedly severe tinnitus?

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I know Al DiMeola has it catastrophic. He said as much in many interviews. In the latest he admitted to having to sleep with the aid of a medicine. On stage, he has to play acoustic guitar because the electric upsets his tinnitus. He wears earplugs too and is separated from the drummer by plexiglas shields.
      He could easily have made more money playing bigger venues but he can't.
      In my opinion, it's not the musician's who are to blame. Most are unaware of this condition themselves. Some get it. Some just get hearing loss.

If 10000 people want to go see the latest pop wonder in a stadium that isn't even designed for music, that's a problem and it's rather the organiser's fault. But is it really? People go there by free will. And do we really need disclaimers? It's just another thing like on the cigarette packs. We need education about this condition at an early age.
      THAT would make a difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Most of our devices warn us that cranking the volume could result in hearing damage. We just figure we would be hard of hearing and certainly not this. The irony is my hearing loss is considered minimal and some say nothing significant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown:medication,cannabis,stress,sleep deprivation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_tinnitus

https://restoredhearing.com/2015/07/01/celebrities-with-tinnitus/

http://mundotinnitus.com/en/celebrities-with-tinnitus/

https://ranker.com/list/famous-people-with-tinnitus/celebrity-lists

Music star Will.i.am speaks about his Tinnitus...

Chris Martin (Coldplay) en Sean Dhondt over...

Celebrity William Shatner Speak About His...

Famous People with Tinnitus : Part 1

No tienes vida cuando sufres de tinnitus-...

Playlist: Famous People with Tinnitus

I wish all the living celebs with tinnitus would help bring awareness to this condition and help raise funding for research into a real treatment.

• Agree Agree x 5
    17. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yeah there does need to be disclaimers and free ear plugs with each ticket. You said it yourself, even some musicians are unaware. Yet they inflicting hearing damage on audiences while they’re all snug with their in ear monitors.
      People in general are unaware. Yes early education is needed too. Schools are pretty bad in terms of loud noise and teachers are ignorant. And yes, it is more than loud music events that are an issue, there are many places with loud damaging noise everywhere. For example, maybe cinemas should put peoples safety first instead of trying to blow them away with the latest sound systems.

Famous people with it could do more to raise awareness but they rarely do. It hardly rates as an issue in the world.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This also, is a matter of money. Large classes, little space.

19. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree. I just guess that celebrities who have it very severely tend to disappear from the public eye and thus cannot use their influence to raise awareness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
    21. Jeebs
      Depressed

Jeebs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would go even farther than that and demand a maximum dB Level from Audio Systems in public places. Obviously you can't tie venues to levels considered safe as this would throw off most of the audience and I truly believe in everyones right as a consumer to risk harming yourself. But there is "loud", "fucking loud" and "lets just wreck this place!!!". When my T first started, I had a conversation with a co-worker about a Techno festival in a small enclosed bunker and he told me about passing out from the pressurewhen they started the music. How can this be legal even with a sign displaying "this venue will most likely destroy your hearing!"?

Honestly I consider myself a fairly smart man but prior to my T, I was adamant that hearing damage is a gradual thing and one to two concerts a year will be fine and that audio technicians know their shit. I was absolutely sure hearing protection is for people who "overuse" live gigs. Yes, I was wrong and it was my own fault. But there needs to be more consumer protection.

Edit: Several grammatical errors since I am quite drunk and this is not my first language.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    22. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
    23. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve made such a stink about tinnitus in my home city that I believe there has been a certain degree of raised awareness on the local circuit. I can give an example of this: this post on Facebook last year was made by someone who never wore earplugs, and then not long after I told him about my horror story I saw this:

B50F342E-3698-4B1C-B343-56D593EAB6CC.jpeg

I have heard many other stories about people using earplugs after hearing about what happened to me, so it does help to be vocal about our struggles in the real world. Of course, the people who will actually heed the warnings will always be in the minority as that’s just human nature. There aren’t many that are close to me that have changed their habits by using earplugs now, and this is because most of us have this innate belief that we are invincible. That is of course until the shit hits the fan.

There needs to be vastly more education about the dangers of noise through the school years. We learn about the dangers of smoking, bicycle safety, fire safety, road safety, firework safety, etc, etc, but noise safety? Nothing. It’s very disproportionate to the amount it costs our countries for there to be no mention of it in our schools. As I stated in another post, my wife has tried to change this by taking it upon herself to educate her students about it, and according to her, it has worked on some as they no longer blast their ears with their earbuds/headphones in the corridors, and she also noted that she saw some students then warning others if they saw them blasting their ears. She previously mentioned that many of them had the volume so loud that she felt compelled to do a talk about the dangers of doing such a thing by warning them in very descriptive terms as to what it can lead to. She has done this numerous times now with different year/grade groups.

• Like Like x 2
    24. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The case of Craig Gill was very tragic and I’ll never forget reading the news of his death for the first time. I think the song This is How it Feels by his band the Inspiral Carpets is very poignant and fitting to those who suffer with tinnitus (listen to the words):

Inspiral Carpets - This Is How It Feels

Husband don't know what he's done
      Kids don't know what's wrong with mum
      She can't say, they can't see
      Putting it down to another bad day
      Daddy don't know what he's done

So this is how it feels to be lonely
      This is how it feels to be small
      This is how it feels when your word means nothing at all

Black car drives through the town
      Some guy from the top estate
      Left a note for a local girl
      And yet he had it all on a plate

So this is how it feels to be lonely (feels to be lonely)
      This is how it feels to be small (feels to be small)

Husband don't know what he's done
      She can't say, they can't see
      Putting it down to another bad day

Nothing at all
      Nothing at all

25. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I got that pop up on my phone when it 1st hit and was desperately looking for solutions. It was somebody who offed themselves. Good thing I did not let it get to me.

26. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      What about Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine? He has tinnitus since 1991 but he hasn't stop producing and performing some of the most extreme music I have ever heard. I quote from an interview with the Guardian in 2013:

"Shields suffers from tinnitus ("it varies from mild to extreme") and has tendonitis in his fretting hand. He dismisses these conditions philosophically – "It's part of the job and we're all going to die anyway" [ ... ] "Initially, I was worried," he admits. "But I've come to treat the tinnitus as a friend. It filters unwanted sounds and actually protects my ears. It becomes your first line of defence against audible stress."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/03/my-bloody-valentine-kevin-shields-interview

Anyone who wants to check what I mean by extreme:
      My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise (...

I am baffled!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Celebrities I have confirmed - or suspect to have tinnitus according to Twitter:

- Zedd (regularly tweets about it)
      - Excision (huge DJ)
      - One of the dudes from Above & Beyond

- Cardi B tweeted this back in May
      “One of my ears popped last night at the festival.I keep hearing ring sounds or like water is in there but there’s not .Wtf should I do ? I’m so fuckin annoyed by it.”

- Kehlani tweeted something about it. The tweet has been deleted but according to the replies it was something about ears ringing.

- One of the guys from One Direction has it

- Grimes

If regular people can develop it from a couple concerts, I’m more than certain all of these artists have it as well. Not only from performing but headphone use, rehearsals, probably some travel (flights) while being sick, partying, etc, etc

Same goes for back-up dancers. Anyone in the entertainment industry.

I saw a tweet from a woman who developed tinnitus from an exercise class (spinning).

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      Is Grimes suspected or confirmed?

29. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My new favorite past time is looking up “ears always ring” on Twitter to see what famous people have this.

+ which people think their Tinnitus is them being psychic or angles communicating with them.