Famous People with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by aapeli, Mar 9, 2011.

1. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I am not sure I am arguing the point but chicken and egg when it comes to tinnitus and anxiety, which came first. Yes, I would say a person acutely anxious...this does subtract ability to focus and will subtract a few IQ points. Acutely anxious people can't concentrate at the same level they could if not anxious. I also believe those with severed tinnitus, this impedes their ability for cognition and in fact why many don't or can't work.

2. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I also saw an article about famous people like Chris Martin (Coldplay) or Will Iam (Black Eyed Peace) and I wonder how they can still play live concerts and even play music if they have T ???

I mean it seems impossible for someone who has T, even without H, to keep playing music and all...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Maybe they just don't worry about it and see it as an annoying noise and nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      But normally, when getting T you cannot even go to a concert, it is too loud !

I don't understand how they can manage it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      That's not tinnitus, that's hyperacusis. I went to a few concerts since t with earplugs and was fine.

6. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Yes but still, people on this Forum who have only T are issues with some noises, especially loud noises...

7. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      That's true, I suppose it's different for everyone :)

8. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      Why do people say 8khz is high freq something like 14000+ i would say is high. a human ear can hear around 20-20000 hz, i can hear from 35 to 16000.

9. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No idea man.

10. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      http://www.6am-group.com/hot-since-82-is-latest-artist-to-suffer-from-tinnitus

Interesting find:
      "As reported on via Medical Daily, “the researchers calculated sound pressure levels experienced by the participants was 100 dBA when averaged out over the length of the festival. They also discovered 8 percent in the earplug group experienced a TTS compared to 42 percent in the unprotected group. Also, a lower percentage of earplug wearers complained of tinnitus (12 percent vs 40 percent among the unprotected concert goers).”

Earplugs, apparently, are not enough in up to 12% of all cases..

• Informative Informative x 2
    11. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
    12. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      I'd actually be more interested to know if there is a rockstar who doesn't have tinnitus. If it's possible someone to spend 30 years next to 125db speakers and still hear pure silence when they go to bed, that's the person you want to study.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The newer generation of musicians don't do that. They are behind the sound projection line (the speakers are oriented towards the crowd, not the musicians), and they wear in ear monitors that lets them block out the loud sounds while providing them with a good representation of what the band is playing, at a reasonable volume.

It doesn't mean they don't have other opportunities to blast their ears, but the days of the musician getting blasted by a massive speaker wall at their own show are gone I think. It seems they've gotten smarter about this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
    16. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Does this help anyone? Just knowing other people suffer the same thing you do? Is there solace in that?

17. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think so. Kind of either a misery loves company, the acknowledgement that you're not the only one, or the realization that there are people out there with tinnitus yet doing what they love. I have no idea why, but I do take some solace in that.

That said, I certainly wouldn't wish this condition on anyone.

18. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It makes being a rock star not so glamorous after all. Not worth it IMO.

19. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      I kind of feel like it makes me feel worse. Like, there are all of these people with this condition that have far more money and resources than I do, and they aren't any better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Jinxy
      Moonlighting

Jinxy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced - Loud Headphones
      Although it's unfortunate, in a way, I'm somewhat glad there are so many of us with the same condition. It creates a huge incentive for people to research a cure because the market value would be insane. Not only that, but it would go down in history as eliminating one of the most common chronic human ailments in the world.

21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Yes, you'd think that.

22. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      No treatment after thousands of years. :)

23. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
    24. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was unaware that so many well known people were/are afflicted with tinnitus.

Thank you Barbara ( @Bobbie7 ) for posting the link.

25. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      I feel bad for thinking/saying this... but sometimes I wish everyone would get tinnitus, I wish it would become a pandemic... a cure would be found IMO if that were to happen.

26. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for posting this link Barbara (@Bobbie7 ) and hope that you don't mind if I include it in a future post?
      All the best
      Michael

27. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is not true @tiniturtle. There are quite a few treatments for tinnitus and some very successful, in helping a person to carry on with their life doing everything they want to compared with thousands of years ago. However, it is true there is no cure for tinnitus but please remember, 19 out of 20 medical conditions cannot be cured.

Michael

28. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I keep seeing Cher's name on these lists but have yet to find the original source where she admits to having tinnitus. A quick search on Google turned up nothing. Does anyine else know? Huge Cher fan here   :D :cool: :whistle: :asshat:

29. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      While I don't question that statistic, it doesn't make much sense to bring it up to me: I find it irrelevant. Here's why: it doesn't really matter that 19 medical conditions out of 20 cannot be cured. Do these affect your quality of life the same way tinnitus does?

The common cold cannot be cured indeed. It's probably included in the statistic. But it's largely irrelevant. Diabetes also doesn't have a cure, but for many an insulin injection will let you carry on with life without much trouble or pain.

It's the fact that tinnitus can have such a devastating effect on quality of life possibly until death that makes it important to focus on. If you want to draw analogies to diseases that don't have cures, do it to Alzheimer's for example, or Huntington's, or some types of cancer.

Lumping it with "all incurable diseases" dilutes the importance and urgency to either find a cure or ways to manage it in such a way that we can regain some quality of life. Forget about fixing the common cold: focus on tinnitus instead (yes I realize that you can have severe complications from the common cold, but you get the point).

Finally, I also find it counter productive to "look at famous people with tinnitus", as if "they went on to do great things" was the ultimate goal in tinnitus sufferers' life. I'd be content with not being famous and not have tinnitus. I don't care for fame: being without tinnitus is much more important to me. I suspect for many others here too.
      Yes Beethoven did great things, but he was suffering immensely because of his condition, and I don't imagine anyone would want to "follow his footsteps": his condition sucked, whether he was famous or not, whether he did great things or not.

Health is more important than fame.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @Michael Leigh - Of course I don't mind. What would inspire other new T sufferers is the realization that not only have countless members here gone on to be lead happy and productive lives as noted in their Success Stories ... but to see all these famous and highly successful people who also have tinnitus.

Take care,
      Barbara

• Like Like x 1