First Human Head Transplant by 2017

Discussion in 'Research News' started by amandine, Mar 1, 2015.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Wow,
      Well in down as a doner so that can have my head if it's any good when I kick the bucket.....but my lungs are naffed up....lots of love glynis

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I ain't giving my head to nobody! It's enough of a challenge just juggling everything that goes on up there ... and this head today didn't get to sleep till 5 a.m., so it's a grumpy, surly head. Just feed this head some pancakes and find it a nice, squishy pillow ... :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    3. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      A brain transplant into another body, yeah. All of the things that bother me are physically "in my head" but not in my brain, my eyes and ears...

Or, you know, they could just give me a safe vitrectomy and find a way to make my brain stop making false noise. That sounds simpler.

• Like Like x 2
    4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Still waiting on Jesse's reply.....

5. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Let's give Mel Brooks a ring and see how he did it, in Young Frankenstein? The only thing I'm sure of, is don't throw the third switch!

6. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      The surgery will take 36 hours and 150 different doctors,I just seen it on Facebook page . You would think they could come up with something to take our Tinnitus down a few notches if they can do a head transplant! Come on really!!

• Agree Agree x 7
    7. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      My luck I would wake up with a womans body !!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    8. Cameron C
      Psychedelic

Cameron C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced (Car Subs/Earbuds)
      If they can successfully do a head transplant from this procedure. In time, if they were able to do a transplant with just the brain I feel like they could solve T. But it would literally be like becoming a new person entirely which would be even weirder. Ironically, I'd probably just keep T if this were the case.

9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I won't call the Police on you....promise.

10. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      I would rather just replace the inner ear, ideally with one grown from my own cells. Even then the idea of someone messing with my head like that seems to dangerous to entertain and still might not work. I would rather the tinnitus free parts be grown within me organically like with stem cells.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Just so you know...because this hasn't been shared with public at large...
      The reason for the recipient receiving a new head is to eliminate tinnitus. There is nothing wrong with the head on the guy currently other than its a bit noisy. Oddly, the brain in the new head is quite different between donor and recipient. The donor loves opera and the theater and the recipient is a window washer who enjoys farming.
      Also the donor is left handed and the recipient right handed. Word is, the guy with the new head will end up a switch hitter.
      Go figure.

• Funny Funny x 2
    12. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Did they cancel the head transplant?

13. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      This will happen but it should not! Where is the proof of concept? Animal data? Sure they did on a couple of animals but they died a couple of hours later! Huminaity is not ready for this science is not ready for this. As far as I know it will take place in China they are only country that let them do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      You know what would be a bummer? Getting a new head....with new found ability to play the piano and maybe the ability to brake dance and moon walk, perform differential calculus and speak six languages...and then...with new brain you forget everything you learned about tinnitus. Excited about your new life, you start hanging out at clubs and listening to loud music...and then develop tinnitus again.

Now that would really suck. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    15. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Agree...there is the morality question...but honestly reconnecting nerve axons on the microscopic level has no veracity. Nerves cannot even be repaired individually let alone collectively to have any quality of life without copious pain. Spinal cord surgery isn't even feasible with current technology. So this shouldn't be done because the scope is too great. There is the preservation of life...or attempt to...and then there is the quality of life coming out of such an undertaking.

• Agree Agree x 1