Flying & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by rogerg, Mar 28, 2011.

?

Has flying worsened your tinnitus?

1. Yes, temporarily

2. Yes, permanently

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi everybody :)

Just wanted some information as I have some flights coming up, one short haul and one long haul in March.

Has anyone used the earplane ear plugs and are these enough? Do I need to keep them in for the full flight or just take off and landing?

Any tips appreciated :)

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Really depends on what caused your T

If this T is due to stress or anxiety then no need for all these precautions airplanes wont damage your ears

3. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi Bobby,

It’s noise induced T, so I guess that earplugs are probably a good idea?

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Try to fly on an A380. They are unbelievably quiet even on take off and landing.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @hannah bow
      i wear my peltor x5a ear muffs inside noisy aicrafts but you wont win the fashion award with these
      on.. though they are more comfortable than plugs over time

6. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Bobby B I’ve just googled them, they’re definitely not very subtle but fashion goes out the window in the name of ear protection! Do you just wear them for takeoff and landing?

7. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I'm a frequent flyer and tried plugs once and ear muffs once just to see what it would be like and it makes no difference and the majority of my flights, cross country have been without any protection and have never had a problem.

8. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Ambassador was your tinnitus noise induced? Thanks for the advice!

9. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I believe so, I am 64 years old and there's always the possibility of some age related hearing loss but I spent my life working in what we used to call Computer rooms and now call Data Centers and the noise is deafening. If that wasn't bad enough I always cut my own lawn and enjoyed wood working and home renovation work, including some jackhammering, etc. and I am a gun owner and when I learned to shoot as a kid we never ever wore hearing protection so long story short, yes I think it very likely is noise induced.

10. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      I want to fly this summer but I’m debating on it cause I don’t want to make my tinnitus worse.

I also have ETD.

Has anybody here had their tinnitus get worse after flying?

11. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Sorry I posted on the wrong forum

12. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi! Did you ask your GP or ENT if you can fly with your ETD?

13. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Yes, I want to fly again. Not just metaphorically, but on an actual plane. I've been putting it off for over 5 years now, ever since I got tinnitus after a plane ride (probably due to listening to music + engine sounds, but not sure)

I am extremely scared to even go near a plane, I just can't imagine exposing myself to so much noise. A plane cabin is what, 90 db?? How could I voluntarily expose myself to that, when the past years all I've done was to try to protect my ears from more damage?

The point of this post is... I WANT to lose this fear. I want to know that it is irrational (but is it really??).

Maybe it would help to discuss, I am looking for anything, educational, anecdotal. I just want to know it will be fine. I cannot put off living any longer because of this shitty noise in my head.

The plane ride would be short, just below 2 hours to start with, but I've been over it in my head a lot and I always see myself backing out at last minute.
      I have very reactive tinnitus, a day outside will already make it louder. I also know that there IS a way to not care about spikes.

I'd appreciate a discussion, maybe some tips. I am extremely scared of the prospects of exposing myself to so much noise without an escape. Looking for any type of help beforehand.

I'm especially interested in thoughts of people who were once similarly scared of the thought of flying, and are now doing it without issue.

My plan is to wear Peltor over-ears, and foam earplugs.

One question I had is, do I really need to experience the take-off without foam earplugs? I was planning on wearing earplugs before going to the airport and not take them off during the whole ride (I am extremely picky with touching my ears without being able to wash my hands..). Any thoughts? I've heard of earplanes but those type of plugs dont seem to stick well in my ears, or I never managed to do it properly.

Thanks..

14. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      bump,I really need some helpful advice, if someone can spare their time. I know there is a bunch of information in the forum on this topic already, but I'd appreciate someone addressing my post. It would (hopefully) help.

Thanks

15. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      "One question I had is, do I really need to experience the take-off without foam earplugs?"

I don't get it, why would you need to avoid plugs at take off?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      I've been reading that it's dangerous to keep plugs during the pressure change. But Im scared that the take off noise will affect my tinnitus for the worse

17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I usually use plugs at this time and never had any trouble. But i am able to intentionally change pressure in my middle ear. I feel like i can move the muscles in there and it adapts to pressure change.

18. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      I've used plugs and muffs in combination for flights. Did experience a mild spike when sitting at the back of the plane for 8 hours, but this went. When sitting near the front or middle, I have never had any problems. Rear of plane is significantly louder

19. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I was also afraid of flying with tinnitus. Any problem, I have even flied without protection. Don't loose the great opportunity of travelling and knowing other places, not problem at all ! You can plug in ear plugs if you want to. In long trips, in case you have a spike, it will be more because of wearing plugs for +8 hours than because of the flight itself.

Regarding the pressure, yes, DO NOT put your ear plugs at landing and take off. You could buy earplanes, with no earplugs are ok, flying is not that noisy, i measure 3 whole flights with a db meter.

Flying is ok ! Enjoy :)

20. Geoff alston
      Torturous

Geoff alston Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic stress
      I was afraid to fly but as I had to go to the tinnitus clinic I did it and am relieved to say it was all ok, there was no spike in my T. Thank goodness its so bad anyway. My flight was Two and a half hours in the same day, 2 flights.

I look forward to flying again!

21. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I have noise induced tinnitus. I no longer use headphones as my fellow tinnitus sufferers on this forum do not seem to recommend them

I will be flying to India from London next week during daytime and will not be able to sleep. I think I will get very bored on this 8 hour flight. Is it is still okay to watch a movie using the airlines headphones. Should I use earplugs and put headphones over them or should I try to minimise or perhaps avoid them altogether. Are there any headphones that I should purchase instead of using the airlines headphones. Thanks.

22. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
      Looks like just the thread I am looking for. I've been posting here and there about my condition but maybe this can bring more attention to it and maybe some people with experience can help me.

I had a spike in my T for the first time in 14 years in mid July. For 14 years it was near non-existant for me. A 1/10 sound level. After the July incident it went up to a 6/10 and welcomed me back to the world of this horrible condition. It was surreal, and frightening. I began to go into real panic mode around Labor Day when I realized that this new spike may very well not be going away. Then, the unthinkable happened. I had a vacation set for September 7th. I was a bit worried about the flight but didn't think too much of it. The cabin wasn't that noisy, it seemed. The night after I landed however, it began. Saturday September 8th. While in bed going to sleep, full of anxiety over my regular T, a NEW high pitched tea kettle sound suddenly began inside of my head. That's right, my head. It did not seem to come from either ear but instead from my brain. The absolute best way to describe it would be it sounds like a TV is on in my head. Feedback from a TV.

The sound seemed to get worse as my trip went on and persisted when I arrived home through today which is Saturday September 15th. While I have calmed down a great deal hoping this is just a new spike that will subside, I am starting to get a bit worried at this point as it has now been a solid week with this new mind bending ring (its bad). I should also note that shockingly, along with this new post flight spike has come my first ever experience with Hyperacusis. This past week just vacuuming or listening to music at a semi loud level was hard for me. Could not believe what was happening, but it was very real. The H however I will say has been improving the last couple of days but I still cannot play the radio in my car to a loud level. But it is the sound/new ringing that is my biggest concern right now. I am trying to convince myself this was all triggered by stress and anxiety as I must admit I was very stressed out and anxious over my T while on vacation that first day, but it's hard to say that when this began only 8 hours or so after my first post Tinnitus flight.

Does ANYONE at all have experience with spikes from flying? Does anyone know what may have happened to me?

23. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bump

24. Chaz

Chaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Just wanted to give some insight to people that have not flown since tinnitus, and might be worried or are flying in the future. I recently flew last week for the first time since my onset 2 years ago, and I was a nervousness wreck. I flew on two jumper planes which are typically noisier than the larger planes. Going was a EMB-170 which has 2 seats on each side. My row was on the wing, and an isle seat. Plane reached 77DB cruising. Coming back was an even smaller plane EMB-145 it has one seat on one side, and 2 on the other. All rows are in front of engines. I was in an isle seat, sound never got above 75DB.

Don't be afraid of flying, its not as loud as people make it seem to be. I was wearing ear planes when I flew since I was having an allergy attack, and was worried about my ears equalizing. With those in the plane was just white noise in the back ground. I fly again next month for vacation on a large plane, I will post an update once I have the noise level on that one.

25. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I still wear plugs when I fly, can't hurt any..Plus it helps me sleep :0

26. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello all !

I have been very well adapted to my tinnitus lately. I am living abroad and I wanted to go to my country to visit family and friends. This represents 12 hour flight , and then another 1 hour flight to final destination. I would stay there for a week and then come back.

I also suffer from ibs (even worse condition than tinnitus) and a very good doctor from my original city could attend me.

During my week stay I would also fly to the beach which is a 45 minute flight.

Does people here in the forum had any problem with flying? Thanks a lot and best regards !

27. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello All,

I researched a bit about flying and prevalence of hearing loss. Here are two interesting research of 31 years with more than 500 pilots & cabin crew.

You will see hearing thresholds were normal and there was not a deviation of hearing loss among them, this would approve the fact that flying is safe regarding hearing loss. Probably if there is any risk it would be more due to barotrauma and ETD dysfunction but not due to noise.

Thank God science exists :) Hope this helps to all.

"In conclusion, pilots are exposed to equivalent noise levels below the current Swedish occupational standard of 85 dB (A), with short peak exposures above the standard, and have normal age-matched hearing thresholds."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18608533
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18972126

• Like Like x 1
    28. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hello All ! A poll was uploaded into this thread, i believe it is a very good post with lots of information, if we can add up the quantitative data through our experiencies and polling I believe it can be very helpful for all.

Thanks to everyone !

29. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Based on everything I've read as well as direct comments from my ENT with 30+ years experience, flying simply cannot do any permanent damage to your ears. Aviation has been around for a long time now and in all that time if there was a chance flying could damage your ears it would be known by now. That being said, I'm currently in the middle of a spike that ironically began hours after a 6 hour flight, but I've since become 90% certain it was stress induced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Flying has once made my tinnitus worse but only temporarily.