Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      That’s not how voltage gating works...

• Like Like x 1
    2. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Way ahead of ya ;) I've already sent an e-mail to the Dr.

It is indeed confusing. It is likely the case that for most of us, we have normal functioning ion channels at birth. The thing is that acoustic trauma may have a devastating impact on the workings of these channels (sigh, another ear thing that is susceptible to damage, what else?). If Dr. Tzounopoulos' statement is true, than this would be quite a bummer to say the least

3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So he doesn't know shit. He just read Trobalt helped some people here, and made it "15x more potent"... the rest is a Hail Mary.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I never said that's how they work.
      What I meant that stress weakens their function, and you can't deny that...

Frequent Tinnitus Talk quotes:
      "When I'm stressed out, my tinnitus goes thru the roof"
      "My tinnitus quiets after taking a bath"

5. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I actually think the key thing here is level of actual hearing damage. People with severe tinnitus and moderate to minimal hearing loss, I think, could result in the near or complete tinnitus remission probably experienced by mild sufferers.

• Like Like x 3
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So basically, you're screwed if:

1. You have flat epithelial...

2. Your Kv channels are fried...

Tinnitus just keeps screwing you up the ass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So.

Degree of hearing loss = degree hair cell damage.
      Degree of tinnitus = degree of damaged Kv.

8. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      You mentioned some strange connection between stress and the “batteries” of voltage gating...

The mechanisms involved with stress and tinnitus is also still under investigation (and can get complex) but most of the research involves GABA, other neurotransmitters, or the limbic system as a whole.

Therefore, it’s a substantial stretch imo to claim that stress somehow weakens the potassium ion channels. I haven’t seen anything in the current literature to suggest that, but if you’ve come across that I would be interested to read about it. Not saying it’s not possible, but I’d need to see some data before concluding that to be the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      What he said about the condition of the channels wasn't at all clear to me.

It sounded like he said in general there are two options for channel problems but, in his studies, he found that the ones with noise induced were there but needed to be opened i.e.: not fried. Overall, his answers were among the most vague of the interviews I have seen here so it's a bit hard to interpret what he meant imo. If I had to guess he was talking more about theoretical reasons a channel might not work, it didn't sound like he observed any of that though.

Flat epithelia is much more likely to be a much bigger issue I think. It's hard to imagine waiting 15-20 years for a resolution to this.

10. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think that has more to do with a Glutamate/GABA imbalance than the fusiform ion channels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok goodie then, not fried, thank you FGG.

12. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I'm confused. I read a few studies about flat cochlear epithelial, one says that it occurs when you have severe hearing loss (70 dB), not profound (90 dB). FX-322 trial includes subjects with mild to severe hearing loss, which means a pure tone audiometry within 26-70 dB.

It sucks for those who have severe hearing loss at the tinnitus frequency. Complete regeneration of the inner ear will take at least 10 years.

13. AtlasFainted

AtlasFainted Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure + Viral Infection
      Doesn't flat epithelial mean there's nothing left at that frequency? If you have severe loss you can still perceive sound, even if barely so. Logic dictates that there still must be something in that area in order for sound to be perceived.

14. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I believe it's possible starting at severe but is a guarantee by the time you are in the profound range.

15. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      That would be nice.

16. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I have mild hearing loss, but at 8000 Hz it is moderate, then above 9500 Hz I hear nothing (using online tests). Even if my hearing up until 9500 Hz is improved by FX-322, I will still have no hearing after that range. I presume then that I will still have tinnitus. That said, I'm not sure of the frequency of my tinnitus as I find it hard to match, so maybe I will get lucky if my tinnitus is lower than 9500 Hz?

17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh yeah! Forgot about good ol' GABA.

I remember when I first got severe tinnitus back in 2011 GABA was the #1 hit.

Every pharma was looking for a tinnitus cure in GABA. Then that failed, we moved on to NDMA receptors or some crap, we had at one point Australian researchers trying Meth or LSD whatever... then that flopped and we started with KV channels... our first attempt was Autifony.

It's like we are playing Cold/Hot game blindfolded.
      I hope we are getting hot this time...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If there wasn't such a thing as receptor tolerance and down regulation, hitting GABA receptors hard would actually be an effective treatment.

I would be worried about the same thing with ion channels (though they don't behave like Neuro transmitter receptors) except that it doesn't seem to be the case that people need to stay on them indefinitely.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      We have loads of anecdotal experiences to prove that ion channels are not completely devastated. I think it’s awesome a researcher has taken notice and decided to use Trobalt as his blueprint. If Retigabine were still available today I would NO DOUBT take it as long as I needed to. I’m already on meds that have blackbox warnings due to my tinnitus, and this would more directly treat the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. AtlasFainted

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A couple users on this thread have reported having a drop off in the higher frequencies where they seem to hear nothing during online tests. I have the same problem at 9kHz, in my right ear.

However upon getting an actual extended audiogram, they discover that they do still have some hearing at those frequencies.

This probably has to do with the special calibrated equipment that is used during an extended audiogram, and the fact that they crank up the volume all the way to 90dB if necessary.

I haven't gotten an extended audiogram yet but I plan to once FX-322 hits the market.

• Like Like x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @FGG

Could you ask Prof. Thanos Tzounopoulos if RL-81 has a better cardiac safety profile than Retigabine?

Trobalt has a bad effect on QT heart interval. Was he able to resolve that?
      This is very important for me.

I think also Danny Boy's heart stopped due to Trobalt (although he was symptom free for a long while). He was like 20 years old and his heart just stopped afaik, and he died.

22. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      They crank it up to 90dB? Welcome new worse tinnitus tone...:(

Yeah, I made an earlier post about not being able to hear frequencies after 9500 Hz according to online tests. I'm sure I must have had hearing loss before I got tinnitus, but since having a neurotoxic/ototoxic reaction my hearing must have gotten worse and my brain seems to have picked up on it and voila tinnitus. I just hope my tinnitus is at a frequency that FX-322 can reach.

• Like Like x 1
    23. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      You can send him an email. He often respond to his emails.

24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Way too early to tell, they are still tweaking their lead compound, the one that will become RL-81.
      He did say that he would be prioritizing safety, though so I'm sure it will be a factor.

25. AtlasFainted

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They start at a lower volume and increase it (up to 90dB) until you can hear the sound.

But some people do report damage from the tests themselves, which is why I'm waiting until I can get FX-322 injected to get the extended audiogram.

I don't want to destroy what's left of my hearing in the higher frequencies during the process of trying to measure it, if there is nothing yet available (FX-322) to undo the damage before flat epithelia sets in.

If I get an extended audiogram, ideally it will be just a day or two (maybe even the same day) before I get the injection(s).

Personally my tinnitus started spontaneously a month after an acoustic trauma, and a few days before getting very sick. Though I can't be sure, I speculate that if I get even slight restoration near my tinnitus frequencies, it will turn itself off again.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    26. Danad

Danad Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jet Engines, Concert
      I know many of us are looking for reasons that FX-322 may not work but I think it's important to review a few things. Tinnitus is merely a symptom of reduced auditory input incurred somewhere along the signal path. Central gain is compensatorily turned way upwards resulting in perception of the stochastic resonance, a feature used by our auditory systems providing an amazing amount of dynamic range. We are hardwired this way with varying degrees of sensitivity so manifestation of tinnitus is not uniform across the population. It has been shown that tympanoplasty, ear wax removal, even hearing aids can reduce/eliminate tinnitus. It makes good sense then to assume that reversing SNHL in the offending frequency range would be highly beneficial.

A few years ago when researching tinnitus it became painfully clear to me that without hearing restoration a cure would be unlikely. Attempts to alter the neuronal hyperactivity of a localized area of the brain, which is really just carrying out it's hardwired programming, is something, in my opinion , way beyond our current biotech.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      FREQ stock is tanking today and there has been a lot of insider selling by the directors, including Christopher Loose. Any idea what may be going on?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
    28. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      Loose’s biggest trade to-date: 4,500 units of FREQ stock for $85,590 on 05/20.

30. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Buy the dip! :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1