Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      This is indeed troubling. I just checked my eTrade Insider Activity and it looks like Loose has been dumping 4.5k shares regularly every 2 weeks since April 8th. He owns a total of 187,282 shares, and to date has sold 18k shares. So he's sold around 10% of his holdings since early April.

In total, 3 different insiders have been selling shares: Christopher Loose (18k), Joel Marcus (27.8k), and David L Lucchino (~30k).

The fact that all of their trades are small, the fact that they're close together is odd, especially Lucchino's trades. It's like maybe they're not trying to trigger any alarms?

I can't really see any positive way to read this, if more insiders start selling, I think it means big trouble. My guess is that they're going to miss their self imposed September deadline and need to prolong the study by several months.

I can't see them having inside info on the study itself - though maybe it's possible?

Another possibly is that maybe they think a big crash to the whole market is coming later this year and they want some cash on hand (I know many people who think this), but you'd think they'd be wealthy enough that they already have plenty of cash.

Whatever the case, if this stock was going to be a 10x-er, you'd think they'd want to hold onto all of their shares and possibly be buying more.

I'm still holding my FREQ shares, but now I'm worried.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Car Alarm/Immune Response?
      I wouldn’t read too much into it. The price is where it was about a week ago basically. These speculative biotech stocks bounce like crazy. Maybe he needed a new sports car or his dealer was having a sale.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      A lot of their "salary" is in stock and people want to spend money on this or that (second homes, boats, etc). All of the insiders still own the vast majority of their FREQ stock.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      Yes, hopefully it's because of the sports car and not because they see that their phase 2 trial turns out like Audion's one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Let’s stop with the speculation.

Insiders selling stock almost always means nothing.

Usually they do it to diversify. Many insiders setup plans to regularity dispose of vested interest in a company and move it to a regular 401k-type plan. If you notice a regularity to the selling of insider stock, that’s the case. Look up the FORM 3 for all of the directors. You'll see they all have been awarded stock lots that are staggered in their vesting schedule.

Institutional investors sell stock from IPOs usually once it reaches a certain % gain.

Note that even though these shares/amounts look large to us mere mortals, they’re a fraction of the institutional holdings in the firm, and/or by the insiders themselves.

Seriously, don’t look into it too much.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Joly

Joly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatisme sonore
      I hope that it's not the end. It's impossible for me to live with tinnitus and hyperacusis the rest of my life. I'm so sad. I would like to see the end and to have a real life. I miss my old life.

• Agree Agree x 6
    7. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Ahh shit. I’m worried now. Hopefully they are selling their shares just so they can buy that sports car lol.

Maybe they want some quick cash so that later on they can buy the shares back again in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Seriously. This is completely a normal move. If this sort of thing ever signified anything literally anyone could get rich buying puts in biotech.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Genuine question.

Say my tinnitus is actually noise induced but I have no significant/detectable hearing loss, are there still chances FX-322 could work to quieten my tinnitus? That is if it all goes to plan and we'll see a release...

10. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It's hard not to speculate about this. Worst possible case senarios will already be running wild.
      Let's hope for the best, but, yeah, this is worrying for some of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. BBakkers
      Not amused

BBakkers Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2011, Spike 2019, Spike 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1e Loud Music, 2e earwax irrigation, 3e padel tennis
    12. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I agree. It's very important to separate share trading in a company from that company's productivity/product development etc.

If, as @patorjk says, Loose started offloading around April 8th, then he did so when price was around $15.10 per share, which was four days after it had tanked from its recent high at circa $21.00, which quite frankly is not very good trading if one's aim is to buy low and sell high. That said, if he sold again today after price had retraced back up to around $20.00, he's redeemed himself.

All I see here is a little speculation in one's own stock, folks; nothing nefarious. I'm quite sure development of FX-322 will remain on track.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If it ends up being hair cell damage, yes. If it's synapse damage, you will need a different drug. Unfortunately, current testing isn't very helpful for ruling in/out either in mild cases.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. ASilverLight
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you. Should it be noise, let's just pray that it's cell damage for me and that this drugs gets released soon. I'm having incredibly tough moments, and I need to hold onto the hope of this (or a synapse) drug being released within a few years.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
    15. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Me too. I hope my issues are due to hair cell damage and not synapses.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      Have you had a full range hearing test?

17. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Researchers at Stanford discovered that when you implant stem cells into the ear and they grow into hair cells, the nerve cells regrow:

Stanford's Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss

(Around the 29 minute mark).

The video is 8 years old though, and they use a different approach to restoring hair cells than Frequency. But maybe the same thing will happen!

Off-topic: the researchers at Stanford Initiative to cure hearing loss are amazing, I've donated to them in the past and will certainly do so again.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      What happened with the Audion trial?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Essentially, Frequency's drug is a hair cell regeneration drug - it addresses synaptopathy IF there is corresponding hair cell damage so the renewed hair cells will also possess the nerve connections. However, it won't in places where there is only synaptopathy and no hair cell damage. However, Otonomy and Pipeline have synaptopathy drugs in the pipeline.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Croaker
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What could damage the synapses and leave the corresponding hair cells alone? Ototoxic drugs? Or can acoustic damage do that too?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    21. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I don't really know enough about ototoxicity but acoustic trauma can certainly lead to widespread cochlear synaptopathy without hair-cell loss, which has been termed 'hidden hearing loss' by Charles Liberman (he's devoted a great deal of research to this topic!). This typically occurs prior to hair cell loss as far as I know - the prevailing consensus used to be that acoustic trauma that led to a temporary threshold shift was not indicative of any permanent underlying damage but actually Liberman has shown that it can result in widespread loss of cochlear nerve fibers resulting in hidden hearing loss. This also isn't really diagnosable on a standard audiogram either.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28087419/

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Croaker
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So Otonomy with OTO-413, Hough Ear Institute’s pill, and Pipeline’s PIPE-505 are the closest to solving this issue? Looks like Otonomy is the furthest along with a product in phase 1/2 right now.

Anybody know which of these might not be a good idea to try, like how Audion’s product was dangerous since it depleted the support structure?

23. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      You won't. Even if FX-322 fails. This technology IS the future and more than likely a cure. Being able to regrow hair cells is way beyond our current "ear" tech. It's like saying, that because the people that came before the Wright brothers failed, we will never have discovered flight.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 3
    24. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      They said on their trial website that they intend to publish their phase 2 trial results by 30/4/2020 but did not do so. There was only a short summary on some EU website that 1/3 had hearing improvement and they plan to have something in the market in 7 seven years. But that was all very vague. Also many here have emailed them or tried to call them, but no reply.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Frequency researchers discovered this too. Newly grown hair cells will connect with synapses.

• Like Like x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    26. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      • Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    27. ASilverLight
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. I had a standard hearing test which showed no signs of hearing loss at all. I'm not sure in which thread it was linked (perhaps here?) but someone linked to the most reliable online test for extended ranges which I took with quality headphones capable of producing up to 20 kHz; I can easily hear up to 17.5 kHz on very low volume with those. Speech in noise isn't an issue either. So who knows.

I know online tests aren't the most reliable.

28. AtlasFainted

AtlasFainted Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure + Viral Infection
      I heard from @HootOwl Hough Pill's purpose is being redefined (something to do with recovering from cochlear implants I think) for faster approval. OTO-413 seems smiled upon so far with some of the more well read and up to date users on this forum.

I haven't heard much about Pipeline's drug but it has its own thread in this forum (so do the others).

Personally I still can't believe how messed up the process is to get a promising drug from development to the market.

I'm so mind boggled that something like the Hough pill can sit for 5 years collecting dust (before another 5 years+ for trials) that I'm actually thinking about doing work in the pharmaceutical sector to do what I can to change things.

The broken process of what it takes to get a life-changing therapy to the market and the people that need it should be put under a magnifying glass. It makes my stomach churn.

• Agree Agree x 5
    29. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I see this very active thread about FX-322 is full of a lot of speculation. I am very skeptical yet I will try it as soon as possible if there is any hint of relief. Why is that? I have hope that some day there will be a cure, which is what keeps me going.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Clmnt
      Depressed

Clmnt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Trauma
      I'm sure there will someday be something for tinnitus. The question is when :(

• Agree Agree x 2