Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      Lucchino's and Loose's monthly stock sales are part of a 10b5-1 plan. It's a plan that allows insiders to buy or sell their shares of the firm according to a predetermined cycle and/or calculation. I won't go into the laundry list of reasons why this is plan exists, but it's generally beneficial to the company, insider, and stockholder.

In short: Nothing to worry about. Nothing to see here.

NOW... if we start seeing the same insiders or other NEW insiders buying shares, that may signal upcoming good news.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 5
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think if anything should be stickied in this thread, it's this :).

If regular insider sales meant anything, literally every small cap biotech would have failed.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      If you listen to the Tinnitus Talk Podcast about Frequency Therapeutics with their representative Carl LeBel, he speaks about this. At Frequency they think that so called hidden hearing loss is actually hearing loss at the high frequencies that a normal hearing test doesn't test but that it effects speech recognition.

If that is the case and FX-322 restores the hearing at the high frequencies then it indeed will treat hidden hearing loss also.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What's a 10b5-1 plan? I'm curious.

5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      At Frequency Therapeutics they think that so called hidden hearing loss is actually hearing loss at the high frequencies that a normal hearing test doesn't test but which affects speech recognition.

Carl LeBel suggests that it could be a mix, that FX-322 does actually repair synapses. Or at least sets in motion the process to repair synapses. (Approximately 44 minutes into the interview with Tinnitus Talk Podcast).

I want to go even further. I think that if we have perfect hearing up to 8 kHz we will not have difficulty hearing in noisy surroundings. Just look at the audio spectrum of speech. Not much, if nothing, is happening at higher frequencies.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/facts-about-speech-intelligibility

It makes me wonder why evolution gave us the ability to hear all the way up to 18-20 kHz when we are young.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      He later was asked about cochlear synaptopathy being a contribution to "hidden hearing loss" and he said yes, both synaptopathy and ultra high frequency losses can be "hidden" losses of hearing.

Frequency's drug acts on the UHF losses.

He's using "hidden hearing loss" different than Charles Liberman (who coined the term) is so there is some confusion. I have seen others use it like LeBel does, however, even if Liberman coined it to mean "cochlear synaptopathy" specifically.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Danad

Danad Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jet Engines, Concert
      • Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Yes, agreed. A nice way to supplement your salary... I'm sure it's just a hedge against things not going well. If things go well you become a billionaire... If things go south you become a millionaire... I'm in the wrong industry. It seems like a win win for him either way. I'd probably do the same thing.
      I'm also agreed. It would be nice to see some people buying though...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      FREQ is almost breaking the highest price since the IPO, whereas it's the norm to show some resistance well before this stage.

FREQ is the best in the business in hearing regeneration - if regenerative cochlear therapy is possible, FX-322 will be the first to get on to market and their method is the best (doesn't deplete support cells).

Otonomy is well behind as are the others in hearing regeneration compared to FREQ.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Remarkable statement considering that we don't yet know how Otonomy will try to restore hair cells. AFAIK it's pre-clinical and more information is yet to be released on OTO-6XX regeneration method. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    13. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      True, we don't know how Otonomy is regenerating hair cells. FX-322 is currently the furthest ahead though, and is the best that can be seen with public information.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pink Floyd
      It would be wise to invest in FREQ after listening to Carl LeBel. This company WILL one day, sooner or later, breakthrough on a resourceful treatment for hearing loss and tinnitus. This accomplishment is evident in their corporate culture and I trust, for some reason, that they will not subside in this quest.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      • Informative Informative x 5
      • Genius Genius x 1
    16. WillBeNimble
      Buzzed

WillBeNimble Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Damage from earphones
      Q2 2021. Sad face. Stupid pandemic, slowing vital hearing loss drugs.

• Agree Agree x 9
    17. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      • Agree Agree x 5
    18. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hate delays. But, I'd rather they take the time to get as much data as possible from the participants Phase 2A.

The breakthrough designation will be worth a 6 - 9 month delay.

• Agree Agree x 10
    19. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Very interesting. So another Phase 1/2 study for people with age related hearing loss. Once again an affirmation that they have confidence in their product.

20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Per that release, Frequency are presenting at the American Academy of Otolaryngology meeting in a month, which is good in terms of ENT exposure. A lot of doctors are getting their info on upcoming cutting edge drugs and devices from these meetings.

21. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Patient enrollment for Frequency’s FX-322 Phase 2a study has been steady over the second quarter of 2020 and based on current projections, the Company expects to achieve target enrollment by early in the fourth quarter of 2020. Based on this timeline, the Company expects to report study data in the second quarter of 2021. [1]​

The study is 7 months long, so if we assume the last person gets entrolled in late October, then the study should complete in May. That means we'll probably see top-line data sometime in late May or early June. I'm glad they're doing things right, but that just seems so far away.

This also means that the results of Phase 2a will happen very close to their Multiple Sclerosis drug submission, which is a little interesting.

They listed some conferences they'll be speaking at this fall, but it seems like there's going to be a drought in news from them between November of this year and May of next year. I wonder what they'll do during this time period.

Four of the patients that were observed to have statistically significant WR scores during the Phase 1/2 study were observed to have maintained the hearing benefit, three of which remained at statistically significant levels. An additional patient who did not achieve a statistically significant improvement in WR during the Phase 1/2 study was also retested and it was observed that the WR score had returned to baseline. The Company plans to share results of this follow-up study at the upcoming American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery meeting in September 2020. [1]​

I am mildly concerned about people returning to base-line. However, looking at the slides, even people in the Placebo group improved [2, slide 22]. I wonder if some of the improvement that was seen was due to just getting better at the test. If you do something every 30 days, you're bound get a little skilled at it, but after a year, you're probably back to normal. I'm hoping that's the case and we're not seeing that these haircells don't last. The fact that they're presenting their data at a conference is a good sign. It'll be very interesting to see what the data shows.

[1] https://frequencytx.gcs-web.com/new...tics-provides-business-updates-and-reports-2/
      [2] https://investors.frequencytx.com/static-files/6d161090-16f5-49f4-9606-8caceb5a88a1

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I read that differently, all the people who achieved a statistically significant improvement maintained it. One person saw an improvement but it wasn't statistically significant (which means that person's improvement scores could have been reasonably due to chance unlike the statistically significant ones) and went back to baseline after retested. It seems like the people with statistically significant changes had hair growth and that the effects last.

I would like to know more about that individual. Were he/she's losses profound? It seems like they were the exception and not the norm.

We know it's not a "learning effect" btw because non treated ears didn't improve word scores.

I agree with your time frame. My earlier guess was April but May/June seems more likely.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Does this mean then that the 30 September date is no more?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Yes, they have been saying there was a COVID-19 related delay for months but have just released an updated estimate of timeline.

25. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My guess is that the patients with relatively poor word scores to begin with reverted back to the baseline. They were already trending downward.

We have to keep in mind that FX-322 didn't restore all of their hearing, only the high-frequency. So, it may very well be that areas of their cochlea that didn't receive FX-322 continued to decline. Genetics and other environmental conditions could also play a factor; occupation, recreation, etc.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not so sure about this. They're yet to reveal what exactly is planned to "understand other populations that FX-322 may help treat" from the private placement. Frequency is technically free to conduct internally-sponsored trials in a shorter timeframe on patients that do not qualify for the Phase 2A. A 90-day experimental trial over the fall-early winter on patients with age-related hearing loss outside of the US (so not under FDA jurisdiction) may produce some exciting short-term data on new market potential.

Also, there's nothing stopping Frequency from releasing an interim analysis of patients who have already exited the Phase 2A. If I understand correctly, independent data managers with approval of the FDA can be cleared to provide the sponsor with some early top-line data halfway through Phase 2 or 3 trials. If so, this could be provided in the fall/early winter to generate some excitement.

• Like Like x 3
    27. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      The language they use is kind of strange (ex: "the hearing benefit"). 1 of the 4 responders had a word score that dropped from being statistically significant. It'll be interesting to know if the other 3 had drops in their word scores too. We know at least 2 of the 5 people tested had drops in their word scores. If the other 3 maintained a steady level then maybe the other 2 were just flukes (or maybe they weren't protecting their treated ear).

Though I guess another thing to consider is that the 2 people who had drops in their word scores may have had the low dose of FX-322.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I didn’t realise they would have a big delay in releasing the results. Didn’t they say they could still release the results with their current data?

Doubtful but I hope they hire Phase 3 participants before they finish their Phase 2a clinical trial.

29. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      Yes, that date is way too optimistic for COVID-19 obstructions. They're releasing data summer of next year. :(

30. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      It'll be interesting how the medical professionals respond to Frequency Therapeutics' information. Will they be excited, cautious, or dismissal? It'll be really cool if some doctors and ENTs who visit Tinnitus Talk can chime in.