Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      IMO - The severity of the hearing loss may be a factor.

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      Maybe synapses are not restored in large enough numbers even after the growth of new IHCs? I see no PTA results, I would expect the audiograms to be at least slightly better.

3. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      Just thinking out loud here, but if they were only barely above the statistically significant threshold to begin with, it wouldn't take much of a reduction in improvement to put them below it. IIRC, the long term measurements of the phase1 participants all showed small reductions over time, but those results were a lot stronger leaving those patients still safely in positive territory. Bottom line seems to be more testing needed!

4. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Yeah, this is very confusing, and not very assuring, to me as well...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013 initial, worsened 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initial Music Gig, Worsened Cinema or possible covid
      Just let's all get injected and see what happens :wacky:

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I think we have to wait and see what comes out. I'm not their greatest fan when it comes to communication, but I'm interested to learn more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Clearly Frequency Therapeutic botched the clinical.
      Yes, and I don't even care about the hearing loss aspect of it.

8. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      Why do you think Frequency Therapeutics botched the clinical?

9. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      This is somewhat inline with their Phase 1/2 results where most of the patients saw a small regression after a year or two but 3 of the 5 patients still managed to stay in the statistically significant category. Maybe some of the initial benefit fades after awhile but you are still better off than before you go the drug.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      It looks to me like they're spinning the news and burying the lede. I saw the headline and thought it was good news, I was confused as to why the stock dropped. Then I read the full release and saw that sentence. It's very disconcerting. It almost seems like the threshold they're using for statistical significance is too low and it's capturing noise. I suppose they do have the untreated ear to act as a placebo, but are they injecting anything into that ear (i.e, do the patients know which ear gets the drug)?

11. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      They definitely put a spin on the headline. Getting kinda tired of this drug. No PTA improvements and no durable word scores. It’s ridiculous when compared to the hype when this all started.

• Agree Agree x 5
    12. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Two reasons. Poor job of weeding out candidates and a poor dosage schedule.

13. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      The candidacy issue is indeed Frequency Therapeutics' issue.

The dosage schedule not so much. Majorly difficult to know and/or predict how a medicine will operate until it is trialled.

14. kiki

kiki Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Did they measure PTA in FX-322-111?

Or are they not announcing it because there are no significant improvements?

15. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Pure bullshit spin. Nine people achieved statistically significant improvements at some point in the trial! Pity that at least four of them fell below statistical significance later on. Put it in two separate paragraphs and hope nobody notices.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    16. aorelia

aorelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Interesting results. I wonder if any of these participants that had improvements in hearing had tinnitus as well.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    17. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      How about don't do another dose until the current dose shows efficacy and stabilization? What's majorly difficult to know about that?

18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is what I’ve never liked about the company; they are never clear and consistent with their information. If you say that here, though, you can expect to get a hard time about it. Some of their previous news outputs have been so unclear that it has led to pages of debate and speculation on here. I want to see detail beyond their latest news statement before I pass judgement.

As for the stock, I didn't like how the directors were dumping theirs. It's not a good look for an early-stage biotech company. If they were confident about what they had, they'd be holding onto that shit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I don't think that there was any evidence at the time to demonstrate that the multi dosing would result in adverse outcomes which was why Frequency Therapeutics ran with it.

It is also the case that Frequency Therapeutics did do only single dosing as an element of their mucked up Phase 2 trial too. The troubles with the outcomes appear on face value to stem from the way they determined the participants much more so that with the dosing.

Which is also consistent with their claims/theory that there would be a need to obtain booster/follow up dosings.

20. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Poor delivery, maybe too weak concentration of compound!

• Winner Winner x 2
    21. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      You need to stop making every post about other people here who have disagreed with you. This obsession is unhealthy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That's a bit of a one-sided exaggeration. I haven't posted that much in this thread, so I wasn't really referring to my posts, but all the other reactions I've seen. From what I've read, whenever anyone has criticised Frequency Therapeutics, it's been met with a pretty hardline defence of the company, even though they bring these criticisms on themselves, in my opinion.

In what way are all my posts about people disagreeing with me? I've engaged in some debate, for sure, but isn't that what forums are all about? I've given Frequency Therapeutics a bit of stick, but that's just my opinion of them based on the news statements they release and their stock activities. It's nothing personal (unless there are people here who actually work for them or something :cautious:).

• Like Like x 3
    23. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Apparently they are contacting patients who didn’t get into previous trials that their next trial is about to start (source: people on Facebook).

24. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      Once again, it's about the other people on the forum, even in response to me trying to point out that you're obsessed with the other people on the forum. I don't think you can write a post about the drug or the company without alluding to your disappointment in other people here.

• Like Like x 1
    25. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      I've noticed this across the web in my discussions with people about Frequency Therapeutics, and prior to their Phase 2a failure I was probably guilty of it too. I think it happens because people get emotionally invested in the company. They read up on what the company's doing and realize that in a few years maybe they'll be cured of tinnitus and have good hearing again. When someone questions or challenges the company, I think on a subconscious level there's resistance to it because it's tearing down that dream. It's hard to be unbiased about something when you're directly affected.

• Agree Agree x 9
    26. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Good. From the small bit of attention I've paid to this thread lately, it seems like their sample sizes tend to be smaller than we might all hope for. We need a healthy balance of selectivity and inclusiveness of participants. It's certainly not an easy task, and my heart goes out to those poor clinical statisticians trying to draw meaningful conclusions from subjective data reported by cantankerous Homo sapiens.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    27. Pete88

Pete88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely noise
      Agreed. At least prior to the Phase 2a results, all the available evidence looked very favorable. Coming out against it was more based in pessimism.

Now they have single dose studies that can't live up to the assumptions set by the safety study.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Probably I am wrong, but I really believe our solution to tinnitus comes more from neuromodulation than from hearing regeneration. I hope I am wrong!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I disagree. In Phase 1/2 the drug didn’t result in PTA improvements and WR scores improved marginally in about 35% of patients. Frequency Therapeutics didn’t even talk about WR until after the results of Phase 1/2. I wasn’t impressed after Phase 1/2, and for good reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Justin Mills

Justin Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      That's not right, no. Tinnitus is usually from damage to hearing, so having a drug that can regenerate the damage would treat the underlying cause of tinnitus AND would also improve hearing perception and clarity. It would also address such issues as hyperacusis that again are caused by the structural damage.

My concern with FX-322 is that is focuses just on restoring the hearing hair cells. But we know that greater damage occurs to the synapses. I wonder why none of these companies try a two pronged approach. Like using the hair regeneration drug plus a drug that regenerates synapses like OTO-413 and PIPE-505. Maybe with this kind of more aggressive approach using two medications instead of one we would see clear results.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2