Glutathione

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Jan 9, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      This substance is said to be a very powerful antioxidant that our bodies are capable of making. It can be bought as a supplement but one of its components is Glutamic Acid. As has been discussed in other threads glutamate is thought to be responsible for excitotoxicty in the auditory cortex.

I just wondered what peoples thoughts are on taking this supplement? Would it result in more glutamate or because its bound into the Glutathione would this not be a problem?

2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I had Glutathione as part of my intravenous Vitamin C detox whilst having my mercury fillings removed. I had 4 IV's over 3 days and also had the Glutathione as part of a multi-vitamin powder supplement for a 6 weeks afterward. Sadly it had no effect on my Tinnitus at all.

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Its a potent antioxidant but with it having Glutamic acid in it I wondered if it would be bad for T. It didnt make yours worse so I assume it ok.
      Thanks.

4. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No it didn't make any difference as far as I could tell. However I never had it in isolated form it was always mixed with other vitamins and minerals. That could play a part in how it works in the body.

5. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      n-acetyl-cysteine boosts glutathione production

milk thistle is an excellent source of glutathione but if you can get NAC thats even better i am told

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      I've been taking NAC for about a month. Its a precursor of Glutathione isnt it?

7. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      yes, n-acetyl-cysteine, NAC boosts the bodies production of glutathione, which seems to be the better way of supplementation as opposed to direct ingestion of glutathione, which i hear is very inefficient...gotta take a lot to get a little

best wishes
      mt

• Like Like x 1
    8. Kristie
      Dancing

Kristie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't have it but my loved one does.
      Raising the bodie's Glutatione levels via supplementation isn't easy.

Why?

Because most pill, capsule, or powder supplements are broken down in the gut and never make it into the blood stream or the cell where it is needed to work its magic.

Trying to maintain a diet that will give you what you need from food today is also challenging. The nutrients of our food today, compared with that of 50 years ago is very different.

As the quality of our food decrease the number of those impacted by deiase is increased. I thought this was an interesting chart:

minerals_zps1a986692.png
      So we have to try and eat better quality foods (organic stuff) things that are locally grown and in season are best. Then we have to select high quality supplements that are destroyed in the digestive system failing to make it into the blood stream or cells.

I recommend a specific supplement for raising Glutatione levels in the body because of the RiboCeine compound it is build from.

Please feel free to check me out of Facebook:
      www.facebook.com/MaxWithKristie

9. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      So, has anyone else here tried IV glutathione?

I was floxed last year with ciprofloxacin.
      It is loaded with fluoride just to ensure it penetrates the central nervous system effectively!
      My doctor wants me to trial iv glutathione along with iodine in an attempt to remove fluoride.
      Anyone else tried this?

thanks

10. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I don't see how IV glutathione could reverse your tinnitus. But it shouldn't hurt you, and it may reduce your noise. If you do it, let us know what happens.:) Perhaps, your physician is onto something that might mitigate your specific type of tinnitus. I am assuming the tinnitus resulted from the cipro.

Here's a link to IV glutathione from an IV center:

And here is general information on glutathione:

I did find an interesting abstract on cipro and glutathione levels. I'm not sure it's helpful but I'll post it:

Drug Chem Toxicol. 2004 Aug;27(3):233-42.
      Ciprofloxacin-induced glutathione redox status alterations in rat tissues.
      Gürbay A1, Hincal F.
      Author information

Abstract
      The possible oxidative stress inducing effect of a fluoroquinolone (FQ) antibiotic, ciprofloxacin (CPFX), was investigated in rats measuringglutathione redox status. For this purpose, the drug was administered to rats as two different single doses (100 and 150 mg/kg, ip) or a repeated dose (500 mg/kg/d, ig, for 5d). Then, total and oxidized glutathione levels were determined in hepatic and cerebral tissues of the rats by an enzymatic cycling assay, and the glutathione redox status was calculated. The possible protective effects of vitamin E or allopurinol against CPFX-induced alterations on glutathione system have also been examined. Following both routes of administration of CPFX, the total glutathione content of the liver, but not of brain decreased significantly. The oxidized glutathione (GSSG) in the brain increased after single or repeated dose treatments, but only with repeated doses of CPFX in the liver. CPFX induced dose-dependent alterations in the glutathione redox status in both tissues. With single doses the effect was more pronounced in cerebral tissue, and with repeated ig doses it was significant in both tissues. Pretreatment of rats with vitamin E or allopurinol before the administration of CPFX provided marked protection against glutathione redox status alterations in both tissues. Our results, thus, indicate that CPFX treatment introduces an oxidative stress in cerebral and hepatic tissues of rat.

Reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15478945

11. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Hi Jazz..

thanks for your response, and thankyou for your links. Much appreciated. Hope you are well?

I am definitely going ahead on Monday with the iv glutathione, and will post how I go with it.

Im not banking on the iv glutathione resolving my t, but even a reduction in volume would be rather nice:)

What I can tell you about cipro is that it contains fluoride (was originally created to treat anthrax). Fluoride is attracted to mercury, so it can be stashed away in the body along with the mercury.

My doctor said the most effective and safest way to remove fluoride is via iodine. She has instructed me to paint my skin with it everyday. She said oral drops are available, but the skin can readily absorb and utilise the iodine, bypassing the digestion. Ill give it a go. It's harmless and have nothing to lose!

In addition to this, I was in the process of addressing a copper toxicity issue long before I ended up with t. The accumulation of fluoride can also cause some displacement in my other minerals, which has been reflected in my latest hair analysis ie copper has risen, now in a four lows pattern (calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium are all significantly depleted in the tissue). My adrenals are shot!

Looking forward to Monday and reporting back to you all......

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jarvik

Jarvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      I've had two glutathione IV's in an attempt to reduce my T, with no effect thus far. The first was 600 mg and the second, four days later, was 1200 mg. I'll probably have a third one this week. I have friends who had glutathione therapy for neuropathy and they report that it took a few treatments for them to notice improvement.

One of my hesitations is that glutathione IV therapy is not cheap: it's $125 per IV session where I go. Yes, I understand that there are costs associate with administering an IV, but it's a bit frustrating to pay $125 for about $1 worth of glutathione.

13. Jarvik

Jarvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Update: I had my third glutathione IV treatment a few days after the above posting. 1200 mg. No change detected.

14. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Do not think it's useless. Glutadione is an excellent antioxidant. You can only have benefits for the whole body. Can have positive effects on tinnitus and hearing loss. You have to do a cycle of at least one month