Going to a Childish Gambino Concert on December 7th — Any Precautions I Should Take?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ab4477, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey I am suppose to go see Childish Gambino for my 24th birthday and I was super excited until I noticed tinnitus a few days ago in my right ear. It's very mild and I only hear it when its quiet and if I try to look for it.

However my seats are located in section 104 row 1 -8 so rather at the front or at the back and they are behind the speakers I believe or parallel to them. I plan on wearing earplugs (foam ones but I'm also scared I could make my tinnitus worse by going)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Well, as someone with severe tinnitus I might be completely biased here but I personally believe ear plugs can give you a false sense of security. Some people can go to concerts with hearing protection and their tinnitus doesn’t get worse and for others it does permanently increase. Also, hearing damage is cumulative. Maybe this concert doesn’t worsen your tinnitus, but it could still do some hearing damage. I personally wouldn’t go if I was you. (But again, there are people with tinnitus who go to concerts and say it doesn’t spike their tinnitus, but I’m wondering if they are going to regret that in a few years)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      This happened to me. When I first got tinnitus in 2008, it was stable and mild. Still went to concerts with ear plugs, it would spike my tinnitus but so would a movie and only for an hour and then it would drop right back down. Then I used some headphones at low volume and boom. Out of control, life altering tinnitus.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Don’t risk it but if you do use quality high decibel ear protection.

I think a lot of people have very mild tinnitus in very quiet settings, tinnitus should only be labelled as a condition when its intrusive and noticeable in normal environments.

Either way, you are very lucky, I wish I had never developed tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Everyone's tinnitus is different. We don't know what will happen if you go. As the above posters have said, some can still go to concerts with tinnitus without an issue while others cant. I wish we could be more helpful on this topic.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Ear plugs then headphones on top. But then again if you're going that far it kinda defeats the purpose of going to a concert in the first place. Might as well just stay home and watch the live stream

7. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I wouldn't go if I were you. Based on the experience of others on this forum, noise damage is cumulative and you don't know what tips you over the edge.

It is very probable that this concert won't harm you.

But there's also a small chance that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and then you'll be back here begging for tips on which medications to take to finally get some sleep, and blaming yourself, and panicking.

Is any concert worth the chance of ruining your life permanently, or at least for several years until the cure is finally found?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I found out that my seats are actually in the nose bleeds like section 318 row 8 and that's alot further away from the speakers I should be okay then with ear plugs ?

It's at an arena for like where a hockey game would be and it's for a rapper /singer childish gambino . My buddy told me my seats were close but it turns out they are not

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Just came back from a concert tonight - Nightwish (metal) in Paris tonight. I wore custom ear plugs, the volume felt comfortable to me with them in. My tinnitus is the same and I had a great time. Although I understand not everyone can go to loud events and not have problems.

Edit; I was in seats in the sides about halfway back.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's the thing my seats are pretty much in the far back upper bowl level and I plan on wearing earplugs there. I don't think it should be problem. I plan on using a decibel meter and if it's too loud I'll leave.

11. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      If you want to go use the best foam ear plugs you can get and be sure that they are inserted CORRECTLY(!)

12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      yeah, don't. chill out your ears for a few months and see if the ringing stops. you'll live without the concert man. trust me. major risk here.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes I gotta make sure they aren't sticking out of my ears. Correct.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay so the week after the concert I have a hockey game for my works xmas party.

Should I be able to go to that? We are in the skyboxes (private rooms up top) 3 rooms and hockey games are a lot quieter then a concert which I'm still very unsure if I should go now and am scared to.

15. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      If you go to the concert and your tinnitus is worse afterwards, then I wouldn't go to a hockey game a week later. Give your ears a break if your tinnitus is caused by noise/hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      It is each to their own, but I will simply never understand anyone who has experienced tinnitus ever voluntarily putting themselves in a temporary situation which could permanently make things worse.

Granted, I got my tinnitus from a concert, but it is dancing with the devil. We know beforehand that it will be dangerously loud (needlessly loud in my opinion). Is it worth the risk?

I say this when I have to admit I have been to nightclubs with plugs and following the onset of T. I wouldn't do so now, but I understand the urge to want to do 'fun' things. A concert is a stretch too far for me to even contemplate.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ab4477

Ab4477 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 or 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay so I think I noticed my tinnitus in November 5th and the concert I'm going to on December 7th, my bday, is soon approaching I plan on wearing ear plugs. At the moment I have the orange foam ones but any other recommendations?

Also my seats are pretty far away from the speakers, nosebleeds section 318 row 8 put of 15, and I plan on just sitting in the arena where people buy snacks etc until my favorite artist comes on. The concert starts at 8 but he doesn't start performing until 10 probably I have the Decibel x pro app to measure the decibels.

Thoughts?