Guys, Any Words on Encouragement?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dfl, Dec 20, 2018.

1. dfl

dfl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to explosions/stress/who knows?
      I could use some - this thing is getting to me today - I have so many other underlying health issues to get to - I know it's just a symptom, but a batty one - thanks.

• Hug Hug x 9
    2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Words of encouragement, ok let's go.

The fact that you have tinnitus and the fact that you're still here and pushing through everyday of this life means that you're already ahead of everyone else. The fact that you choose to ask for help instead of shutting yourself away shows that you choose resilience over condemnation. The fact that you wake up everyday to a world without silence, the fact that you fight every moment with this noise and still go to bed knowing tomorrow is just going to be the same, shows how strong and courageous you are.

Tinnitus is a fight without recognition, nobody will ever herald you for being a hero, only you know that. Be proud of yourself, and give yourself a little credit.

• Like Like x 10
      • Winner Winner x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      You're a strong man. You will persevere! It might seem there's no light at the end of the tunnel right now, but please hold onto hope. How's your tinnitus been the past years? It started in 2015?

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Neuromod will be releasing their product, based on bimodal stimulation, in Ireland and other markets in Europe next year. Introduction in the US will follow FDA clearance.

Professor Tzounopoulos at the University of Pittsburgh received a $2 Million grant from the Department of Defense for preclinical testing of a pharmacologic treatment for tinnitus.

Others are progressing testing of drugs to stimulate hair cell replacement in the cochlea to restore hearing. The hope is this will also relieve tinnitus.

A Star Is Born helped raise awareness to tinnitus, now if only Gaga and Cooper would take it up as their cause to raise even more awareness for research for a cure!

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Not gonna lie, I think @coffee_girl did a heck of a job giving some wonderful support and advice.

But I just wanted to add. I'm a bit believer in burrowing other peoples strength to help get you through a rough patch until you feel stronger yourself.

A post from a fellow member here @billie48 called from "Darkness to light" REALLY helped me during the early days, and instilled some great strength in me when I needed it most. I hope it helps you in the same way that it helped me.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have numerous posts and threads that preach positivity and encouragement.

Here is one of my favorite ones:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/you-are-a-champion.23000/

• Like Like x 2
    7. -serotonin-
      Frantic

-serotonin- Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2018 (probably?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.
      Well, I like to think it could be worse and I'm glad tinnitus is not life-threatening. Whenever I really hear it or I start to worry about it, I think that I know it can't actually hurt me, so I'm less bothered by it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I always tell myself that at least i don't have AIDS or Ebola or Cancer or blind+deaf+T...or homeless on the street. Just thinking about those things really help.

Read all of @fishbone's posts...they are truly encouraging. =]

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Find a new passion in your life if your health problems will allow for it. It really helps.

10. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Even if they did they would get slapped down by the coping police calling them out of touch drama queens for raising awareness for a little noise in people’s ears when there are African’s dying of Ebola.

11. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Bam, Who are these coping police? TC

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      All of the people who go round belittling and putting down anyone who struggles with tinnitus and dares to complain about living with it.

Here’s a Christmas count down of some of their favourite lines......

1) you can choose to be happy!!
      2) your negative mindset is the real problem, not the noise.
      3) My Dad used to kill Koreans and he has insanely loud tinnitus and is stone deaf and he never ever complains and doesn’t care. He still parties up a storm and shoots his AK47 without hearing protection.
      4) There are loads of people with far worse problems and they are achieving amazing things like climbing Everest with no eyes or limbs and are living happy lives!!
      5) .......oh and by the way you’re just a whingey little c***.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    13. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dfl

Please disregard this statement I made
      because
      The coping police can be identified as

Thanks, TC

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Definitely! No celebrities should raise awareness for tinnitus.
      It's better we suffer in silence among ourselves.

facepalm.png

• Like Like x 1
    15. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      To be clear I know you’ve got chips on top of chips on both shoulders but I agree with you and think it would be great if big stars made more noise over tinnitus. I only explained why they can’t....and won’t. Because they will be shot down in flames by the very same people who mock and belittle severe sufferers on this forum daily.

Sad but that’s how it is.........Stars with tinnitus hide their suffering or they will get accused of being spoilt little whiney brats who don’t know how good they’ve got it.

16. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bam
      Either you have super human powers and can predict the future or you have experience with celebrities. I'll go with the second possibility. Well, actually either way the outcome is the same- you've explained how it is and shut me down. Thank you for setting me straight. I get it. -TC

17. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      @dfl If you have a few quid lying about why not try this Neuromod device supposedly coming out next month in Ireland. If it helps, great. If not it’s back to the drawing board. But it’s the only new thing to offer some hope and encouragement if you’re struggling at the moment.

18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Life is not easy and everyone has problems, although some people have more than their fair share.

I have had tinnitus for 22 years. In 2008, it increased to insurmountable levels due to a second noise trauma. I was left with large fluctuations in intensity daily. This ranged from: Silent, mild, moderate, severe and extremely severe. No two days were the same. I had two years of TRT for the second time and this lasted until 2010.

It took four years to habituate. I was an avid reader and unable to read a book for two years. I have been to the brink and back many times and never thought my tinnitus would be where it is today. I still have fluctuations in intensity but it no longer reaches the extreme severe levels I once had which would last for many days. I was prescribed clonazepam, a benzodiazepine that helped when the tinnitus was very severe and fortunately, I only take it occasionally now.

My tinnitus can still be problematic, especially when I want to read and the intrusive noise sometimes makes this difficult. I have learnt to accept it and look at what I can do with tinnitus, and not what I can’t. Keeping positive even in my down times is possible, for I look back to see how far I’ve come, as there was a time my life was very different.

Michael

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dfl

Being an actor yourself, do you have any theories as to why it's so difficult to get actors and musicians interested in raising awareness and funds for tinnitus research?

TC

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dfl

dfl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to explosions/stress/who knows?
      thank you all so much- I did a video for Dr. Josef Rauschecker (who did an amazing Ted Talk on Tinnitus) to help raise funds for his research- he really understands this malady- BUT you are all so right- there is pressure put on people in my line of work never to show you have an ailment of any kind because while outwardly people are understanding and supportive, there is always the problem you may be seen as "damaged goods." I have been through a lot (as I'm sure most of us here have) I was run by a car and spent eight months with no movement, had cancer, etc- but tinnitus is some next level stuff- my goal is to learn how to make the devil's hiss sound like an angel's whisper.

• Like x 2
      • Hug x 2
      • Informative x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Winner x 1
    21. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Obviously you have a strong will to survive and many around you for support. However, tinnitus challenges the strongest among us and its good to see you here where we understand what's it's really like.

We are expecting an interview with Dr. Rauschecker sometime next year and many of us have contributed questions. Tinnitus needs his research and much more so that commonalities emerge and consensus achieved.

Check out the Neuromod Q&A while you're here. The device is something to keep an eye on.

I hope you have a nice holiday season. Keep in mind we appreciate your work and sincerely hope you find that angel's whisper.

TuxedoCat

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @dfl those words are very powerful.

@Markku and @Steve could probably use your experiences here on Tinnitus Talk. I think you followed a path to this place for a reason.

The constant noise in my brain has always been a hurdle for me. Somehow I have made it this far in life. And you will also.

• Like Like x 3
    23. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      So true... I think it's true of pretty much any profession.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/stepping-up-to-the-plate.32791/#post-397902

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Let’s hope you can do better than that @dfl and silence the bastard for good.

You’ve done incredibly well to carry on and maintain your career given the shite circumstances. No mean feat.

Let’s hope some clever bastard throws us all a lifeline sooner rather than later.

Good luck my friend.

• Like Like x 3
    25. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I’ve never ever divulged my former career on here @TuxedoCat for that very reason. I get enough abuse already for struggling with this demon. I don’t need it personalised...... I think @dfl is brave to be so open. Credit to him.

26. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      oh but the hyperactivity in your brain causing tinnitus may also have something to do with hyperacusis, so the noise induced pain can hurt you. Not to mention the pyschological stress caused by tinnitus also hurts.

I'm so desperately waiting for new research to come in on hyperacusis, but right now I can only speculate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      @threefirefour

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, credit to him. But he also logged on here again yesterday so he's obviously hit a rough patch. We need to support him.

I well understand why you've not revealed yourself, Bam. Can I ask a rather personal question? Have you always been so hard hitting, or is it a result of bitterness? I sense it's maybe a combination of both but feel a little at a disadvantage here because communicating by posts only gives one dimension of communication- I don't know the tone of your voice or your body language so I'll depend on your honest answer to that question.

BTW, no chips here. If you knew me you would know that for certain, its the 1 thing I've never been accused of. The point I was trying to make was that its not a foregone conclusion that the coping police will show up. Its not a foregone conclusion that they won't show up either. Having said that, both dfl and @Jazzer mention not wanting to be regarded as damaged goods, I think Jazzer called it becoming a tragic figure. And, I respect that. I respect Jazzer's decision not to go forward with his video. What is needed is empathy and not sympathy. And effective treatments leading to a cure. We need to talk about this more, but its the holidays and no one's mind is on this. So for now, can we just support one another thru this and pick up again at a later date?

Best, TC

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    29. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Ain't that the truth

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I’ve always had an edge I guess. I think that’s an artistic thing. But yeah I’m actually a deeply compassionate person but I’m struggling like hell with the bitterness, loss of faith. I had a great life, very blessed in many ways, and this shit came from nowhere. I just miss everything that was my normal and has been lost in this chaos of noise. I’m really not a total ****. Peace to you TC. Sorry for being stroppy. Guess this thread struck a chord.