Has Anyone Habituated to Tinnitus Only While Wearing White Noise Generators?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Poseidon65, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      The title of this thread says it all. Has anyone been able to habituate to tinnitus with white noise generators (WNGs), but not without?

In my case, WNGs make this condition easier to deal with. I’ve been using them at almost all times (except sleep) over the past 4 months. With WNGs, I am at least a little bit habituated.

But without WNGs, it’s very hard. I tried not using them yesterday, and it was super tough. Honestly I have a hard time seeing myself ever getting used to the sound without WNGs. Note I am 17 months in, so not a total newbie.

I’m curious, has anyone reached the point where they consider themselves “habituated” with WNGs in, but not without? Truthfully I have no issue with wearing WNGs for life if I have to, but I wanted to ask if this has been the “end state” for anyone else.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I didn't realize you use white noise generators. For best results you should also be having counselling although this is not always essential. They should be used daily for up to 10 hours and the volume set slightly below the tinnitus. Once they are put on in the morning and the volume set they should be left alone.

Over time the brain habituates to the white noise and slowly pushes the tinnitus further into the background making it less noticeable. If the volume of white noise is constantly adjusted it makes it more difficult for the brain to habituate to it. White noise generators treat tinnitus and hyperacusis if it is present. I fully habituated using white noise generators and they cured my hyperacusis in two years.

Michael

3. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I believe if your tinnitus is only one tone, a high ring or static, then absolutely 110% you can habituate with very low volume white noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      IMHO, habituation isn't an end-state. It's a constant goal that you fall in and out of.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      What if it’s multiple reactive tones up and down in volume daily?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. TrevorSanders

TrevorSanders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure/Ototoxic Medication
      Where should I go looking to obtain WNGs? It seems most clinics only offer hearing aids.

7. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from loud concerts.
      I have I guess what you would call WNGs, but only one setting is a white noise and the rest are a calming music. They are Widex hearing aids that do not amplify sound but play low level sounds into my ears. They are part of the TRT I am doing with an audiologist. I am only a little over a month into treatment. I can’t really hear the white noise and usually use the music. I think they may need to be tweaked to my situation.

But after reading threads in here it seems the white noise is best for habituation. Not sure if I am doing it correctly. From what I understand the goal is for the sound to go into the background and work subconsciously.

Are WNGs you wear different than the Widex’s I use?

8. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Honestly habituation is for "I hear it taking a shit in a library" people. Anyone else who can't find peace because it's too loud, unsettling lower noises, diplacusis, etc, this doesn't apply.

I went from mild tinnitus last year to an absolute nightmare now. Im well aware I "thought" I had it bad a year ago.

Truth is these habituaters don't get worse... and have no CLUE how deep this well of tears can be, so habituated until you get worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    9. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      It’s easy to habituate to the sound of a jet engine at take off thrust in your ear 24/7. I don’t know what the fuss is about…

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      Or a dentist drill that fluctuates in volume and frequency second by second, like an actual drill. Or distortions over sounds.

But I agree that habituation is definitely possible with monotonic tinnitus, and white noise does help a lot. Back when I had a quiet tinnitus from a concert, I habituated without WNGs, but I worked at my PC the whole day and the fans may have helped. The tinnitus actually went away in 2 years. I simply paid no attention to it and that was it. It's not so simple with what I have now...

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So it’s very annoying meeting an arrogant shithead dumb ENT that just laughs it off...

They should be NT doctors. What the hell can they do with ears except flush rinse and give antibiotics. Wish them all to hell...

• Like Like x 1
    12. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I have the loud jet engine on the right ear and now hyperacusis came back and rings to white noise. Left ear is shrill up and down noises...

Working on habituation and CBT. I’m used to being tortured though. Tinnitus is rough. Keeps changing when I’m barely getting used to it.

Yeah I’m screwed lol.

13. sensualmosquito
      Confused

sensualmosquito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      6-8 khz HL, T and H from gunshots
      I started using white noise and wow does it help with my reactivity. It took only a couple of minutes of white noise in the ear for the reactivity to dissipate. I noticed it would come back though relatively quickly if I stopped it, but even a few moments without it is so much better than nothing. I hope that I can get to a point where the reactivity fades.

• Like Like x 2