Headphones Over Earplugs — Working at a Call Center

Discussion in 'Support' started by Svg12345, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Svg12345

Svg12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High noise
      Hello,

I have mild tinnitus and I'm about to start working at a call center but I'm worried about the headphones that they will make my tinnitus worse.

My idea was to wear headphones over earplugs to protect my hearing. Does this work or should I try something else?

Thanks for your answers.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Headphones and "noise induced tinnitus" do not go well together. Even at low volume there is a risk of the tinnitus becoming worse. I don't know whether using headphones over earplugs will work without the risk of problems. It is something that you will need to try if you want to.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      You can definitely use the headphones over earplugs. Be sure to set the volume to the lowest volume that you can hear. Also, take frequent breaks.

You can certainly give the above a try, but only you can figure out how safe this, as how your tinnitus will react to this type of exposure.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't see the point of using ear plugs underneath the headphones: just lower the volume of the headphones. I suggest you try noise cancelling headphones, so you can keep the volume really low.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      When I absolutely have to use headphones at work - for a business call, or to provide some gentle masking sounds for a few minutes if the office environment gets too much and I can't pop out to calm things down - then I'll pop in some musician's earplugs underneath. It does decrease discomfort but doesn't eliminate it entirely for me. I can't imagine it would be good for anyone with tinnitus/hyperacusis to be using them all day. Given that you say your tinnitus is only mild, you may get away with it if you absolutely protect your ears from loud sounds in all other noisy environments (concerts, clubs, cinemas, loud restaurants etc)

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The point is that I had the volume on the phone the lowest it would go, and it was still too loud being so close to my ear. The earplug helped.

7. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      In addition your protected from any sudden loud screeching sounds on the phone which are known to cause tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. cj5suzy

cj5suzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would wear the earplugs. I find earpiece plugs to work better for me than the others I have tried.

9. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      What if someone suddenly screams into the phone, straight into your ear... YES wear earplugs under the headphones. What if something or someone pulls the headset out of the jack...
      Noise/click/pop. YES wear earplugs under the headphones.

I have used earplugs under headphones (headsets) for 30 years... works well, lasts a long time.