Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      So they did special adjustments in those frequencies?

2. Lilah
      Blah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been using the Widex Moment 220 for about a day. The white noise feature is at a much lower pitch than my ultra-high pitch tinnitus, there is no possibility to mask it. Even if I could turn the volume to maximum (the audiologist did not give me maximum volume in my settings), I believe I would still hear the tinnitus as I can hear it in an airplane. The audiologist also said there isn't another HA providing a higher pitch white noise sound like violet noise which is what I use through mynoise.net (she said in fact, many have a lower pitch sound). In any case I do believe there is a benefit to using the HA as it moderates/curbs my tinnitus. There is definitely a big difference when I take off the HA, my tinnitus becomes more relentless in a quiet room (which the primary reason I got them, for work and bedroom).

For outdoors, I plan to use the "Universal" option (no white noise, only hearing aid) instead of white noise. Even though I don't have hearing loss (based on hearing tests), the outside sounds still seemed a bit louder and clearer with the hearing aid feature.

So, I guess I am bit surprised the white noise doesn't help with the ultra high pitch tinnitus sound at all (I thought it would help a bit). Unfortunately we cannot stream Widex through Android (only iPhone). My audiologist doesn't think I should be streaming other sounds into my HA (such as through mynoise.net); she believes those sounds are not tested for tinnitus and could make tinnitus worse.

• Like Like x 1
    3. kingsfan
      Mellow

kingsfan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-20 / 10-20-20 / 3-31-21 / 5-23-21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Wow, so with no detectable hearing loss, the hearing aid lessens your tinnitus?

4. Lilah
      Blah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would not say lessen the volume, but less piercing. I view the HAs as a "better than nothing" option.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's because your hearing aids don't really reproduce white noise throughout the whole hearing range: they are limited by what their speakers can reproduce. Your tinnitus is probably outside of the range that can be reproduced by the HA, so it just feels like it stands out without any masking.

That's also why you can hear your tinnitus in an airplane: the droning of an airplane doesn't have much energy in the high frequencies either.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Wrfortiscue
      Provocative

Wrfortiscue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I have high frequency noise too and my ENT wants me to use hearing aids. Should I skip them?

7. Lilah
      Blah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you have hearing loss, the hearing aids may be beneficial in reducing your tinnitus.

I believe that I am hearing two separate sounds, the lower pitch white noise plus my own tinnitus sound when using the hearing aids. There is absolutely no masking of the higher pitch tinnitus whatsoever. However, I believe the white noise is having the fridge hum effect where I pay a bit less attention to the tinnitus. You can probably get the same effect from a white noise machine. However, I will need an in-ear option as I cannot play sound out loud at work. Plus, I don't believe headphones are safe for long term use.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Wrfortiscue
      Provocative

Wrfortiscue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Won’t the in-ear noise make it worse eventually?

9. Lilah
      Blah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is about the same.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Lilah
      Blah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anyone know which hearing aid brands are compatible with Android for streaming purposes (directly streaming)? I read above that Phonak is compatible, but curious if any others are as well.

11. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      80967B08-BCD4-4BBF-9644-BBD77F971D98.png

I know the answer is to try and see but do people think I would benefit from hearing aids with this attached audiogram? Just that the cost in my country is so high.

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes, people do think that.

[...and yes, you gotta try and see. Nobody can really tell for sure.]

13. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Thanks Greg. I just purchased the Bose SoundControl Hearing Aids on eBay as I can't afford to fork out €6,000 - €7,000. I will report back on how I find them.

14. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Those look awesome, I love the price and the self programming. Hopefully it will help with your tinnitus.

As far as hearing goes remember that it takes time, like 4-8 weeks for your brain to relearn how to interpret the input that has been missing. My hearing isn't particularly bad, mild loss above 4 kHz and I really couldn't tell the difference with them in or not for the first 6 weeks. Now I can notice the difference, slight but noticeable. Sadly it didn't make a lick of difference for my tinnitus though.