Hello All. Recently Diagnosed with Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keith D Mitchell, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
    3. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Those I'm sure are great. it's just up to you. if I use ear plugs, I use much cheaper ones. not the foam ones or anything... but I'm not dropping 200 dollars either. But I also do not ever go to concerts or terribly loud clubs. I'm fine in restaurants, etc., without ear plugs. So probably better to get advice from someone who regularly uses them. For me, the only concession that I make to my tinnitus, is to mask at night when sleeping. And even that I have on a timer to shut off soon after I fall asleep.

Good luck,

Eric

• Like Like x 1
    4. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @eric peterson
      Cheers much appreciated your thoughts. Regards Phil

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Hey all, I meant to say thanks for the advise but I've been so busy. The T however, comes and goes, but the last few days were pretty good. I had maybe 10+ hours both days with little to no noise, it came back however much later but I can still catch Zzz's easy.

I'm two days away from finishing the antibiotics, but what's odd is I still have that feeling like liquid is in my ear. I feels wet, and it definitely feels like something is moving, lol. Right now it's feeling chilled. Oh, the cracking has gone down as well when I swallow.

Guess time will tell.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Well, I should more specific actually. In my case, my ringing or "T" was thought to be brought on my an ear infection. One that an ENT didn't catch up my GP did, go figure. So I've been on Amoxcillian for 8 days now and my right ear feels better, not as clogged but I did have a major "wet" feeling last night and the ear was similar to eating a bunch of medicated cough drops and that it was "chilled".

I'm getting off track here, sorry. I've had the clogged and ringing for about 3, almost 4 weeks now, but since i've been taking the antibiotics, I guess I feel better and I've had plenty good days where there's no ringing or it's so slight I don't hear it, like right now. Then there will be days when it's like a 3 stage alarm all day or quiet and ramps up to loud, until I goto sleep.

My question is though, why? Why this this fluctuate so much, it's not the underlying cause is changing, why is it constantly a up or down rollercoaster? Sure Anxiety plays a large part in it, but that is only caused when the "T" is heard, like the chicken and the Egg.

What gives? It's truly baffling to me.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Keith,
      Tinnitus comes in lots of sounds and strengths and can change at any time for no reason or for a reason and the unwanted emotions that come with it can just be as hard to deal with.
      As long as you don't put your ears in any danger around loud sounds,most people's tinnitus reverts back to its normal base sound they hear the most of the time.
      I could give you a list of what causes a sound increase or starts tinnitus but by focusing on the positives in life and not letting your ears rule your life,you can learn to enjoy life again and learn to deal with the unwanted emotions that do settle in time as you adjust to your tinnitus sound.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Well I can at least confirm that there is liquid in my ear. The last few nights I've been getting the same wet sensation but my inner ear has been wet. I was able to confirm that there is a clear / brown liquid in my ear, so it would seem it's draining but not enough to cause puddles to show on my pillow.

And while it isn't helping me, at least I can tell my GP or ENT that there is definitely liquid there.

9. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Have had T for eight months now. I have no idea what causes the variation... except that it does vary. T is the strangest thing. I have givem up trying to understand it. Only thing i can more or less control is my reaction to it.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Yesterday was perhaps my best day since I've had the ringing in my ears. Seeing how it's been a little under a month now, all I had was a little chirp but mostly silience. THis morning I'm hearing the low pitched Eeeeee, but it's not really noticeable.

Is it usual for ringing caused by infections to die down more so than noise induced ringing, or for that matter to go away? I've finished my 10 days of Amoxcillian and ahve been taking Zinc and Calcium. The right ear isn't popping as much when I swallow now and the fullness feeling is just about gone. I noticed this morning I didn't leak any clear discharge but wax instead, at least I think it's wax.

11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus can go away after a ear infection and when the ear has settled down from inflammation.
      Time is a great healer .....lots of love glynis

12. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      It didn't for my brother in law but every infection (and case of T) is different! It seems like you're on the way to recovery! :)

13. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Mine hasn't gone away fully but is significantly less than it was at the time of my infection. It took about nine months for me for my ear to not feel "full" (and it still feels slightly--very slightly--more full than the other but not so bad) but has gone from about a 7/10 to a 1/10 or even 0/10 sometimes in intensity. Of course everybody is different but yours sounds like it will continue to diminish in intensity.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I wanted to give an update. I went back to my GP since I finished my amoxcillian. He stated the infections looks to be gone or on the way out. He checked my left and right ears, stating that the right seems to have some fluid left as the ear drum didn't move as much as the left ear drum and to wait that out. Says he's confident that the ringing will stop in a month or so.

Meanwhile the ringing has dropped from say a 3-4, to a light clicking (ETD?) and humming which is more tolerable. The right ear no longer has the fullness feeling and it pops more often. I'm having a lot more good days and I can sleep when tired, or nap if there's noise around.

Though mentally I'm feeling better, I wish my ear was better as well. I still seem to be senstive to certain noises, just not loud noises and every so often I hear faint traces of ringing, like it's trying to come back or remind me it's still there.

But that's the update!

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Heh, and now the ringing is back, in both ears. Oh well, it was a good 3-4 days.

16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kieth,
      Thank you for your updates and nice hear you have had some good days and even though the ringing is back I hope better days will follow....stay positive...lots of love glynis

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Thanks. I was dreading going to work cause I feared this would happen and I was hoping I was free ;(

Well doc says another month or so and doesn't think this is chronic tinnitus. In fact when I mentioned Tinnitus, he kept saying no... it wasn't.

I dunno.

Either way, I let this stop me from doing stuff I like and I'll be damned if I'm going to let that continue.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Despite this being a little of a month since this annoying ringing in my ear has started and despite my best efforts to get over it, to ignore it and get on with my day to day, I'm finding that I'm failing. More than I'd like to admit. More than I'd like to show my wife and kids, I hate for them to see me break down and cry because I can't stand this damned sonic screwdriver in my ear.

So frustrated with this damned ringing, buzzing and clicking, as well with my self. I did everything I was supposed to; I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I'm courtesy with everyone, I was a typically cool person.... until a month ago. Now I don't know what to do, other than just giving up :(

I can't imagine how those who've had this longer than me can cope. I can't get past the idea that eventually my brain will get used to this and push it into the background, not with this noise, I can't see it.

I just want things to go back to the way they were and for me to get on with my life.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Human body perfection......... my ass.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Have you considered enrolling in the AM-101 trial?. It is pretty much the only legitimate medical treatment option available right now.

20. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Or consider masking your T so you won't be so stressed. Anxiety and stress are bad for T. So give these a try.

TT's audio player:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

If you need more masking sounds, here is free ‘aire freshener’:
      http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

Rain sounds are soothing indeed. How about making your own rain sounds with this rain generator:
      http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php

And if you need DIY notched Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation (ACRN):
      http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/acoustic-cr-neuromodulation
      http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/

Another way to reduce stress is to read up the success stories as many as you can. Many members have gotten better, some with other problems besides regular T, such as H, PT, ETD, Meniere, etc. Here are some stories for example:

My own story, 'From Darkness to Light...', surviving severe T & H & relentless panic attacks:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

The most read success story ‘Back to Silence’ with a simple effective strategy by IWLM:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

Jade’s success story with T louder than the 800-tonne trucks she drives:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/6-months-tinnitus-still-going-strong-but-so-am-i.3226/

Dr. Hubbard’s success story from a doctor's perspective:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-cbt-helped-me-live-again-dr-hubbards-story.4608/

• Winner Winner x 2
    21. MCB
      Sunshine

MCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I've been where you are now and sometimes feel like I'm still there even after 4 years of this. You use the word cope, I use the word accept. When you accept, you learn to cope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Maybe it'll not go away but you'll be much less concerned about it. I got T from a indoor concert ~ 2 months ago and the first month was like hell. I had panic attacks, crying a lot, depressed, not talking to anyone. When i saw that my little girl was so sorry seeing me like this, i decided to resist this f**king downward spiral i was going into.

Right now, even though the T loudness did not change a lot, i do not freak out, and handling it in a much better way. It's ironic that the brain, which is responsible of increasing the gain to hear from the damaged cells thus creating the noise, is adapting to the sound, seeing that it's harmless and putting it into a lesser important bucket of sensory stimuli. Which means, if there is a more important sensory stimuli around, you'll not hear the T.

For your brain to be able to do this though, you need to stay calm. It's hard in the beginning, almost impossible to do, but it'll be like this. Try your best to stay calm, and not to obsess with T. Take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds if you need. Try to sleep as much as possible. Do not give up eating (avoid sugar though, it's guaranteed to give me loud T 5 minutes after eating sugar), take supplements and work out to get into a better physical shape. Even though the supplements are generally folly, they'll play as placebo and with the hopes of they'll help, they'll help.

Also, consider participating into AM101 if possible. It has a 3 months window of opportunity after onset.

Do not read disaster stories here and there, instead read all the success stories over and over, they'll help you believe that you're life is not over. It's guaranteed that you're thrown into this hell in the beginning and you'll get over it and you'll be better. There are support groups for T, joining them and seeing that the people are living good lives with T can help as well.

As the last thing, know that there are a lot of investigation and research going into T right now. I feel myself lucky, luckier than the people who got T, say 10 years before. In 5-10 years there'll be a cure for T. It's coming, just hold on until then.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      If I knew a cure was coming,even in years, this ordeal would suck a great deal less!

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I did in the beginning and was told I didn't qualify. I'm actually talking to them again about now, seeing it's been over a month. THough with the trial, I thought it was 3 month or under, so not sure why I didn't qualify the first time.

25. liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      It's coming mate, there are too much research going on right now. A treatment is inevitable, we'll have some sort of relief in years. My guesses are;

Years - Chances of an Effective Treatment
      2 10%
      4 30%
      7 60%
      10 80%

• Like Like x 1
    26. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      My ENT saidto me:,,They said we will have a cure in 5 years, 20 years ago.''

27. liquefact
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      We all know that ENT's know nothing about T, do not listen to them :)

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      So ever seen the onset of my Tinnitus introduction, I stopped doing most of things I enjoyed. And while I'm still pretty bummed about it,I'm forcing myself to get back into my normal grind, so I figured why not share my latest endeavour.

So let's start over :)

I'm Keith Mitchell, co-founder and admin of a geek culture website called The Outerhaven and yes, that totally was taken from Metal Gear ;). We write / talk / love all things geek culture related such as video games, music, comics/manga, toys and everything that falls in-between. We also do podcasts and Youtube stuff... such as this latest unboxing of Funko's Smuggler's Run subscription box. We also cover events, like the New York Comic Con, PAX East, Otakon and other events, in fact we're working on getting access to the 2016 New York Toy Fair, San Diego Comic Con and E3 2016.

But I want to share my recent project, which I likely wouldn't have done if not for the support i've reached from the forums, so thank you everyone. And moderators, if this isn't appropriate, please let me know.
      The Outerhaven Unboxes Funko's...

I'll keep (trying) to do my part and let's all stay some what positive!

Thanks again everyone!

• Like Like x 2
    29. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's cool! Don't really know much about MGS but i do love playing games. Hope you'll stay happy doing the things you love!

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      So for the past few days / week, my ringing has been pretty good. In and out for the most part, but not really as loud. The last few days it was great. I can sleep with no issues, in fact I found my self falling a sleep in my office while coding.

Even this morning was great.... until I took a shower. Normally that calms my "T", but today, it started my ringing.... in my left ear. My "T" has normally been in my right ear however, so this is confusing. It's like it's fading but I can hear it, in my left. My right ear is just fine but now I"m afraid that when my "T" comes back in my right ear that I"m gonna be in trouble. It's been 20 minutes now and it's still going, hoping it goes away.

It also feels full, like the right ear used to feel.

le sigh.