Hello and How Could I Be So Stupid...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RobO, Dec 11, 2016.

1. RobO
      Wishful

RobO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hey guys,

I have had T for little over a week now and it seems to be getting progressively worse... started with barely audible high pitch noise right now it sound like extreme ringing in quiet rooms. I went to a rave about 10 days ago and was way too drunk and stood to close to speakers for way too long.

You never really think of these things when off partying but ... you know you should. I never thought you could catch an endless ringing in your ear though if I did I would have been more careful...

Weird thing is I have had trouble hearing people for a longer duration of time and talk quite loud I believe a minor ring might have always been there but its now been amplified by 30.

I have been under a lot of stress lately writing my graduation thesis and have been on edge and dealing with depression for a while. A night of relaxing turned into a nightmare!

I don't know how to deal with this constant noise it is driving me absolutely crazy!

Sorry for the rant just needed to blow off some steam. I hope I can learn to deal with this soon.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hey Rob,

Welcome aboard!

Have you had a talk with your family doctor about depression? If not, I would start there. Also, of course tell him or her about your ear ringing issue to see what he says about that as well. He may send you to an ENT or you may just ask him to write you out a script for Prednisone (steroid).

Hopefully, the ringing will go away for you or maybe just subside to a level that will not disturb you.

In the interim, avoid any exposure to loud noise, anxiety and stress, throw away the earbuds/headphones, and get a good 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RobO
      Wishful

RobO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah I went to the doctor mainly about the depression but im currently in the final haul of my thesis so it is kind of difficult to do much about it now, besides the usual suspects that take a little bit of the edge away. The noise is making studying very hard.

He was very brief about the ringing though said it would go but that it could take weeks to months! I have not gotten very confident in that statement reading all I have read so far about these symptoms. Did not seem like he took it very seriously.

What is the point of the steroid? If I may ask?

Thanks for your reply.

4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The steroid can aid in healing the inner ear after trauma or apparently it can.They use it in cases mainly to do with sudden hearing loss with varying degrees of success.

Lucky you got them,my doctors refused to give them to me multiple times until I literally had to trick them into giving them to me.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry about your suffering with the new T. For new sufferers, TT has prepared a thread to guide them step by step what to do. Here is the thread. There are links to a sleep thread, audio player, and also to ATA & BTA. It contains step by step instructions. Try this for a start.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

When tinnitus is new or at a new irritating level, and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking going so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. I used to mask all day just to prevent panic attacks from hearing my ultra high pitch loud dog whistle T. Try these if you haven't yet. Take care. God bless.

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Make sure your tutour knows you have tinnitus and with a doctors letter you should get extra stuffy time and can go to the library if need time out eye from the rest of the group....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RobO
      Wishful

RobO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Today I almost did not hear it at all the weird thing is I think I have become oversensitive to buzzing and ringing type noises by this.

I was studying in the library and there was a vending machine making a buzzing noise and the T reacted to the noise. I got all panicy at first but ones I relaxed I stopped noticing the T for almost the entire day... now lying in bed is another story though... it sucks I can't sleep. It sometimes feels like the muscles in my neck get tensed up from the buzzing I can't really explain it.

I just pray this goes away soon. Can't bring myself to give that thought up yet.

Is it true that T from noise exposure is less likely to go away?