Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Artie 22, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Artie 22

Artie 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones / Loud noise / Anxiety
      I have just come across this forum & it looks to have a wealth of experience / knowledge, so felt I should join & contribute to the discussions.

My Tinnitus started four years ago following the use of some new wireless headphones. Since that day I have had a never ending battle & have tried most things to rid myself of that constant noise! In the early days it made me really ill & was a complete obsession dominating my whole life. Anti- depressants & sleeping pills helped but were not really the solution.

After a year or so I was not dwelling on it & starting to enjoy life again. Then I was exposed to a loud noise & the obsession and volume of the tinnitus increased all over again. This is a pattern that keeps repeating itself over & over again. I carry ear plugs with me for noisy environments (pubs etc) but am always caught out by the unexpected loud noise, which can cause my tinnitus to increase from a few days to a few months!

In its worst state my tinnitus is a high pitched tone with regular chirping (sonar) type sound. Also sudden very loud high pitch tones that last 10 seconds or so. In its quieter state it is just a low background noise but loud enough to notice especially when watching TV or similar.

I have used white noise for sleeping to good effect but generally am able to sleep fairly well.

Strangely, I have sometimes woken up in the night to find that it is completely silent (this always gives me hope!). The volume definitely decreases when I am in bed & relaxed. I know that this is the time that for most people when it is loudest.

I am sure that anxiety plays a large part in contributing to my problem & always question whether it is that or the loud noises that increase the volume of the tinnitus. I feel that it is a combination of the two.

Thanks for reading.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you considered staying away from noisy environments?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Artie 22

Artie 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones / Loud noise / Anxiety
      Yes, I avoid where possible. However, it is loud noises in everyday environments that cause me problems . Things that have affected me are an alarm going off in a shop while I was stood under the speaker, feedback from bluetooth connection whilst a passenger in a car, someone shouting (as a joke!!) in my ear, dogs barking in close proximity. The list goes on. Short of wearing ear plugs all the time, these things cannot be avoided.
      I know I might be over sensitive to sound but I am always terrified of making the Tinnitus worse.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Yes, you really should count those silent moments at bed time as a blessing. Many members here have the exact opposite and may have trouble sleeping when T is loudest at bed time. Living with T it is best we remain positive and calm so the limbic system won't kick in to make T a mortal threat which can aggravate T. You have everything to be hopeful and thankful if you can have good sleep without T causing trouble at bed time, as having good REM sleep is also another thing that can tame T. Take good care. God bless.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After experiencing a couple of those things, I began to wear ear plugs whenever I am outside of my home.

• Informative Informative x 1