Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by VaR, Sep 8, 2014.

1. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      I have had tinnitus (left ear only) for about 50 days today. I've been reading the post for a while but decided to post today. It's not been that bad. I'm 22 and well I don't know how I got tinnitus. One day, I had fullness in my ear and the next day I had tinnitus. At first I thought, it was temporary so I waited for a couple of days to go to the doc. I've been to two ENTs and a dentist since. I don't have TMJ, I might have Sinus issues as per my ENT's or an infection (my eardrum was retracted)but despite taking meds, nasal spray nothing has changed. I also have pain/irritation in my ears (both) which comes and goes for like 10-20 seconds) I've been thinking and well, I watched a lot of TV on my laptop and my earbud used to be in my left ear. I like listening to TV/Audiobooks while working and I talk on the phone a lot, that too using my left ear, so I kinda suspect maybe long term noise exposure may have caused it. I've been very anxious of late and well considering that I'm stressed out due to my job search, things haven't been going as well as I would've liked.

I'm happy that there is a place where I can talk about it because the people around me haven't been very supportive. I was very fond of going to the library and now that scares me and I'm unable to prepare for my entrace exams for post grad as well. Any advice and any idea if my Tinnitus will go away?

2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I got T while on Ciprodex ear drops. I was also assaulted and punched in both ears 50 days before my T started. My ears feel pressure sometimes, like inside an air plane, and i get random pain for 5 seconds in my ear. its weird.

My ENT doc told me to get ear MRI and Brain MRI. Everything came back normal, except some fluid around brain which doc suspects could have caused T.
      However I think my T started with Ciprodex ear drops, the drops went via ear drum into my middle ear and finally my inner ear and damaged hair cells etc.

I have been taking NAC medications for past month and my T has gone down which is good. I would say start with NAC pills, you can find them at any drug store and they are over the counter. See if this works first for a few months.

If you have money to invest then talk to your doc and see if you wanna get a brain/ear MRI. Not sure if you really need it though, but it won't hurt.

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      That's probably a fair assumption. Noise is by far the #1 cause of tinnitus. Using earbuds in a semi noisy environment (eg. computer fan, people talking, air-conditioning running, etc.) means we turn up the volume even more to compensate for that background noise (needless to say). Earbuds are earkillers.

At day 50 after onset, the best option is to possibly look into the AM101 clinical trial (if available to you). My suggestion.

4. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Your Tinnitus could go away but it could take a few weeks, months or even a year or two. Try be patient and it might go. Good luck :p

5. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      You said you get a random pain in your ear for 5 seconds, that sounds like a minor ear infection to me. Did you ever get it checked out?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ricky81
      Worried

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Floyd,

Yes I saw my ENT again last friday and he checked my ears and said they look fine. He is waiting for the final report of my MRI, but the few notes left by imaging dept on my MRI results said all looked normal except some fluid. I'll keep you guys posted when the full MRI results come back.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      I got the ear infection checked out, my ENTs thought it was the same thing. I took meds for 20 days but didn't work out. I'm going for my MRI today to rule out tumor issues. Pray for me guys.

8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      A
      Am101....seek it

9. Ricky81
      Worried

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here are my MRI findings. Optic nerve is acting up and pressure due to fluid around brain, because I was assaulted on my forehead and head... luckily brain looks healthy.. except the fluid around it. Lumbar puncture is an option to drain some of that fluid, but i don't think I wanna do that yet.

BRAIN:

There is bilateral distention of the optic nerve sheaths, with
      flattening of the posterior globes and bulging of the optic nerve
      heads, suggestive of papilledema and elevated intracranial pressure.
      There is also an expanded, partially empty sella. Meckel's caves
      appear slightly prominent.

Brain parenchyma appears normal. No mass lesion, abnormal
      enhancement, infarction or hemorrhage is identified.

Ventricles are normal in size.

Paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells appear clear.

IACs:

Posterior Fossa:
      Brainstem and cerebellum appear unremarkable. No cerebello-pontine
      angle cistern mass.

A vascular loop of the right anterior inferior cerebellar artery
      slightly enters the right porous acusticus.

A vascular loop of the left superior cerebellar artery abuts the
      medial cisternal segment of the left trigeminal nerve near the root
      entry zone.

Temporal Bones:
      Seventh and eighth nerve complexes appear unremarkable, without
      evidence of mass. Otic capsule structures appear normal in signal.
      Mastoid signal within normal limits. No other temporal bone signal
      abnormality is identified.

10. Dysphan

Dysphan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      I have an ear infection, and i had a very quiet high pitched noise in my ear. My doctor prescribed eardrops called Locacorten Vioform, it didn't really help with my ear, so i went to the doctor again two days ago on September 2nd, 2014, he prescribed ciprodex. Almost immediately after the first dosage, the quiet high pitched noise became alot louder. It's been two days and it hasn't gone away at all. Today is my third day (September 4th) on ciprodex and I'm not sure if I should still be taking it. I believe I have tinnitus. Is there anyone who has used ciprodex and developed tinnitus. Will it go away?

11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Dysphan,

I'm not one of them, but several people on this forum have said that their tinnitus started when they took Cipro medications. For some, it may have gone away. For others, I don't think it has, to date.

I've taken Cipro tablets myself a couple of times since my tinnitus started, and it didn't affect it at all.

I think I'd quit taking the Ciprodex and see if the tinnitus subsides. Anyone else have a suggestion?

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Purva

Purva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vascular loop
      Hi
      Is your tinnitus coming from vascular loop?