Hello Guys

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by James E M Smith, Mar 11, 2017.

1. James E M Smith

James E M Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello I've had tinnitus for ages but have only just decided to join this community. Here is a brief history.

Circa 2001 I've been suffering from a ringing of the ears. I remember the night I got it. A really loud and long gig spent in front of a super loud PA in a tiny room. I was drunk. I was profoundly deaf for a few hours afterwards. In the morning my ears were still ringing.

They still ring to this day. I was in dire straits. An insomniac drunk who bit his nails to nothing.

Over the course of years I accepted it. It diminished in volume..the ringing changed to a hiss. I could mask it with light radio. I slowly got my life back and my sleep back.

Years passed. I suffered the odd spike when I forgot plugs at events or had a head cold etc. I hadn't developed hyperacusis as such but perhaps become a bit flinchy around loud bangs.

For years I've been habituated, to the point where I could wake up in the night, hear my tinnitus and roll over and go back to sleep.

Until recently. A terrible bout of sinusitis and mucus in the ears and possibly ETD has sent my noises up through the roof.
      Anyway..that's it in a nutshell. Peace. Love and light x

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @James E M Smith,
      Welcome to the forum. You have done a great job making T a non-issue all these years. So hopefully you will do just fine to habituate to the new T level. But you may not even have to do that as T from a medical cause such as ETD or sinus congestion can fade when the root cause has been successfully treated. You may want to get a ENT to check out the ears. Take good care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James E M Smith

James E M Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you. Yes it's been a very revealing journey. I guess my recent spike has prompted me to find solace in the forum to counteract my fears. However I can somehow feel the spike is symptomatic of a recent illness and not derived from sensorial hearing loss - if that makes sense. Im confident it'll fade. I'm just happy to be part of this community now and look forward to everyone's posts and perhaps being of some assistance. Take care :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. lisa49

lisa49 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for sharing your story. It's nice to hear situations especially when they are not so negative!

• Agree Agree x 1