Hello, I'm a Violinist and Guitarist. I Just Got Tinnitus Over the Dumbest Reason.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dengphua, Aug 6, 2017.

1. dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      someone screamed in my ear for 10 seconds
      So I recently discovered that I have tinnitus.

How? Last Sunday while I was studying with somebody, who is a bit autistic and has anger issues, screamed in my ear loudly while chokeholding me for 10 seconds.

I discovered the ringing in my ear the day after. It has been a week, and I am very sad about having this for the rest of my life. I am only 20 years old, and I don't know how to live with this, especially because I was not even in a place where loud noise is common like a concert or playing a gig. I pray that this short term noise tinnitus will subside, right now it is very loud and high pitched when I am in a quiet room, I do not see much hope.

I am a musician and aspiring voice actor, getting tinnitus is really dampening my spirits.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @dengphua, and welcome.

I was a musician, and do some occasional voice acting. While I cannot hear your particular symptoms, as a life-long suffer of tinnitus, I have been able to do my voice over work, and still can sing (although I no longer play guitar, but that is not due to tinnitus, more from lack of talent).

I do not have the links handy, but if you have not yet, I recommend searching out the articles written by @Michael Leigh. They are very informative and helpful.

I would recommend reading through he success stories. Many people here have had their symptoms stop, drastically reduce, or have learned to habituate; all resulting in them being able to return to a "normal" life.

Do not give up hope! Tinnitus is frightening, especially when you first encounter it, and especially for someone who's passions involve their hearing. Don't let this get you down. You will be able to continue to play, and continue your voice-over work. Not that I think that your tinnitus will end up this bad but I am sure you know that Beethoven suffered from tinnitus, and he is one of the greatest musicians of all time.

Don't give up.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      its funny that you mentioned Beethoven as a positive example, because in the show mad men, there is a monologue describing the very ironic tragedy of Beethoven's hearing loss, how hopeless he felt as he wrote each note, his love and passion never dying but his senses failing him. to me this story is definitely much more of a tragedy.

the success stories I have read through in desperation, apparently some have completely lost their tinnitus? is this even possible or is it just to give us hope? do you have any links to your voice over work? I would love to hear it, btw do you have facebook too? you should add me and we can chat about this.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Things happen in life and we just have to move forward. It is unfortunate, but moving forward is a must. I came from my trip last night and my ears were full and my right ear was totally clogged/shut. The only hearing i had was from my very poor ear. I could have panicked and went crazy. I have no one to help me either, i just remained calmed and dealt with it. Its scary, yes...but being strong is key...

I hope your situation, improves...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 2
    6. Roger_S
      Breezy

Roger_S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fell asleep with the headphones on.
      There is no cure. There is no treatment to this. Your only hope is your own body.

I'm taking days off to rest, opened my windows a bit, to let some noise in but not too much. The first days I also walked around and stopped at a fountain or park benches.
      I avoid headphones, cut down on tv, though I only watch that twice a week, at some point felt it was spiking despite the low volume, so I turned it off. I have only watched youtube with sound on one day after it spiked me as well and won't use it until I get rid of this thing.
      When I notice a spike I turn the shower on to unspike it.

It's gotten quieter every day.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    7. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      Your tinnitus was unlikely to have been caused by that event. Many musicians get permanent tinnitus due to chronic exposure to loud music over a period of years. When people get tinnitus they typically think that the last event caused it and if only that event didn't happen then they wouldn't have tinnitus. If you want to avoid tinnitus getting worse then you need to either quit music or wear hearing protection. Also a good idea to let other musicians know about tinnitus so they don't end up with it as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I read at least two stories on these forums - guys who got permanent T and even measurable hearing loss due to being shout at direclty into the ear.

The issue is that only one ear gets badly damaged while the other is fine - this is far worse than having both ears equally damaged when it comes to T.

This imbalance of hearing feeds a loop of T in the brain

A voice can be 120 Db and close to the ear this will create damage especially in already worn ears due to past loud music

9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Try to keep in mind that this tinnitus could very well go away. And that's true. This happens frequently. This happened to my father and to one of my uncles for example (it was noise induced too). Now they live a perfectly normal life without T.
      If you're convinced that it will stay for the rest of your life, it will be "saved" in your brain more easily. I think your outlook on this has a big impact on your chances of getting rid of it.

And not spending a lot of time reading horror stories online would help too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      That's exactly what happened to me in the early 90's, when an acquaintance shouted into my ear trying to be heard over the sound of a performing rock band. A sharp pain in my ear left me with louder tinnitus than I had before and subsequent hearing loss to boot. It can always get worse and it did for me last year following a viral infection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      How long did they have tinnitus for?

12. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      My father just for some days, my uncle for some years, and a friend to whom it happened too had T for some months only after a concert

13. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      The trauma to your ear is very new. I do not think your Tinnitus will be permanent.
      First, the average db level a human can scream is 110-120 db. This is very loud and can certainly cause an ear injury, but you would need longer than 10 seconds to cause permanent damage.
      OSHA recommends no longer than 7 1/2 minutes of exposure to 120 db per 8 hours for unprotected ears.
      So, if we take 115 db (average) for 10 seconds, It is certainly going to cause a trauma, and it may well take several months to fade. Try to stop reading the horror stories about permanent Tinnitus and realize the a vast majority of noise trauma T resolves itself in time, it is just very slow.
      BTW I have had noise induced T 2 times, once 12 years ago from power equipment (it faded to ZERO in 18 months) and 10 months ago from a woman screaming at an outdoor concert, that T has faded 80% so far.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      At your age, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Be careful with your hearing after you're better in 6-8 months tops.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no it was definitely caused by this event, I have never had ringing in my ears. After the event my ears were also muffled, which is a sign of hearing loss. Only a few days ago I was appreciating the sound of silence.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my hearing was always pristine before this. The shouting was extraordinary in that I have never experienced such shock and loudness before. I am sure its done its damage because its been a week now and I still hear the ringing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      do you think I should quit playing in orchestras and bands?

18. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      If right after the event your ears were muffled but not as muffled anymore then it could've been tonic tensor tympani syndrome not hearing loss. Unless there's some unique situation there's no way that the event you've described can cause a significant amount of hearing loss. It could've been the needle that broke the camels back after years.

I'd check how much dBa you're exposed to and if hearing protection would be enough to limit exposure to under 85dB. If not then I would quit. Did you get a hearing test or go to an ENT yet?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      its hearing loss for sure because my right ear is not what it use to feel like, it sounds sort of covered and not as "clean".
      the person literally yelled in ear an inch away, I'm pretty sure that was the loudest thing I have ever heard as it literally shook my body in reflex in attempt to stop it.
      because this was short term trauma, do you think there is a chance of it diminishing?
      definitely not the straw that broke the camels back though for sure because my ears were always fairly protected from obtrusively loud noise.

20. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      Yes acute events do have a good chance of diminishing.

If you were in orchestras and bands without hearing protection then unless they played quietly your ears have not been fairly protected from loud noise. Anything over 85 dBa can permanently damage your hearing.

21. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Hearing damage is cumulative. It was a straw that broke the camels neck.

Violin might be pretty rough on ears. Bone conduction and the noise itself.

It might be a good moment to think about the future. Or about buying new earplugs at the very least. There's a ton of nusicians who still play.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      is there anyway we can chat about this over the phone on Facebook? also I noticed your issue came from the gun range. how would you describe when you first discovered you had tinnitus? was it cumulative or did it happen after one loud sound?

23. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      What? "Far worse" ... I'm afraid to ask why.... are you saying it inhibits habituation? I have T in one ear from noise trauma and it's very present all the time. :eek: I want you to elaborate but know your answer might not be what I want to hear. I can't control my curiosity.

24. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm sorry this happened to you. My T also is a result of a person assaulting my ear.

Since this happened a week ago, you could try getting prednisone...it's no guarantee and people have mixed opinions about it (i personally would take it for the chance that it helps.) Anyway, if you take it it should be at least 50-60 mgs for 7 days. Seems like a lot of doctors don't prescribe a high enough dose. I would also load up on supplements that can benefit the inner ear.

At this point you have to wait and see... your age is probably on your side and it can get better. You also need to protect your ear with an earplug especially if you are continuing to play instruments or are in any loud environment. Foam will block out the most sound but make sure you inserting it correctly!

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dengphua

dengphua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      august 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tell me more about what happened to you, and how long you have had it!

26. Bob94

Bob94 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Dengphua ;)

Maybe it is a dumb reason but atleast it's not your fault! Many people here have tinnitus from too loud music or dumb accidents. I personally have tinnitus from a drug overdose....
      So don't be sad, see it as a strengthener (y)

27. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Since 4/15/17. Some jerk in a bar whistled (2-fingered very loud shrill whistle) and the tinnitus started immediately.

28. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Get ear protection. I have to assume that you are passionate about your music (as most musicians are). You need to protect your hearing, and that is the most important thing, but you want to do your best to not let tinnitus rob you of the things you love. Being able to continue the activities that bring you joy is important as tinnitus often causes depression, and anything that brings you happiness will help fight that off, and give you the strength to cope with the tinnitus.