Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by EatMoTacos, Aug 24, 2014.

1. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      I wanted to do introduce my self. :)

My name is David and I've lived with T since I was 13 years old due to a fire work accident on my right ear. The T went away until it reemerge its ugly face again in 2009. First I had was pulsing T in my left ear, I was playing football one evening with some friends and all of sudden I couldn't stop hearing this whooshing sound, then I thought to my self this will go away. Then later during my last semester in college in 2010, I was severely depressed and started listening to loud music a lot and would go to clubs quite often. Then it happened, the T in my right tear came back strong and never went. I'm 31 now with on set T at about 8k hertz and now it's a unilateral tone in both ears not just one, the pulsing is still there and I feel it has gotten worse since I started making craft beer :) (Could be all that beer tasting).

I'm happy to know that I'm not alone in this and that hopefully one day it will stop again. Or maybe some future successful treatment.

Hello everyone! :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, David, and welcome!

You've had tinnitus for a long time now, and I'm sorry it's gotten to the point that it is bothering you so much. I too have both pulsating tinnitus and hissing/ringing tinnitus, although mine is only in one ear (right ear). It's hard to say what causes our pulsating to begin, but there are many possible causes. To ease your mind, you might want to get checked out by a doctor (if you haven't done so already), to rule out any serious medical conditions.

For most of us, however, tinnitus is more an annoyance than anything else. It can play havoc with our central nervous system, and cause us to feel depressed, not be able to sleep, etc.

What you can do right now to help yourself feel better is perhaps cut back on the beer and other alcohol, caffeine, and loud noise exposure. Make sure you carry ear protection (ear plugs) whenever you go out clubbing, to prevent or minimize any further damage to your ears. Follow a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, and try to get some sleep. All of these things will help you to feel better, and may help your pulsating to settle down. Have you checked your blood pressure to be sure it is within normal range? That can also be a cause, or cause exacerbation, of pulsatile tinnitus.

I'm sure other people on this forum will have additional suggestions for you. Here, we all understand what you're going through, and want to help each other!

Welcome, and keep us posted on how you're doing!
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Thank you for the welcoming.

Funny thing is that I've drinking coffee and beer on a regular basis and do some exercise once in awhile. I stopped going to concerts and clubs a very looooong time ago and I totally avoid loud areas. Really the only thing I go to is the movies and even then I don't feel like it bothers my ears. Do I have customs ear plugs btw.

But this past weekend I feel like I've acquired a new T baseline which is quite bugging me a bit because for the past year I've actually acclimated to the sound but just this past week it just hit really hard. I don't know if they call this a spike or what but it's really loud this week to the point now I hear it at work. Or maybe I maybe just noticing it more cause I've been checking it quite often.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, again, David,

What you are describing may be a spike, or it may have changed in frequency. Tinnitus is unpredictable, so it's hard to say. But it's more likely to settle back down if you can try to ignore it. It's great that you were pretty much acclimated to your tinnitus before this; that's a good sign that you'll be able to do it again! Try keeping your mind active and your schedule full, and you may find that your tinnitus settles back down to a more manageable level soon.

It's great that you have some custom ear plugs; I usually take them when I go to the movies, and I mostly use the ear plugs during the "trailers". They seem to be louder than ever these days!!

Take care, and maybe some other folks here will want to offer you some additional suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
    5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows

• Informative Informative x 1