Hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brittany, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      Hello! My name is Brittany, I'm 19 years old and my Tinnitus started early to mid January of this year (yeah, happy New Years to me right? haha). It all began with a cold that I had gotten shortly after Christmas. A few days later I noticed a loud drumming sound in my ears. Went to my family doctor and she said that I may have a sinus infection. I had a considerable amount of fluid but no infection, which she claimed may be the source of the drumming. Several days later it turned into ringing in my left ear. Called the ENT since it felt suicide inducing and a week later I got in. By that time my T felt more manageable...duller you could say? He told me that there was a little bit of fluid but that my eardrum was slightly caved in. He was pretty optimistic about the health of my ears, even stating that he wouldn't give me a hearing test because he was confident that I didn't need it. He diagnosed me with "Subjective Tinnitus," and said to return in a few weeks if the ringing didn't disappear. And that's where I currently am, just waiting. He said to take Sudafed and use nasal sprays (got ahold of some Sudafed yesterday, so we'll see) so I'm doing that.

My T is loud, I can hear it over almost everything else. Along with it is sound sensitivity and fullness, even ear pain sometimes. The headaches are terrible as well. I seem to have them in the same spot every time too. The "dullness" from that time has faded back to loudness. Music and white and pink noise seems to irritate it even more. The TV and youtube videos without music are bearable.

I'm not quite at terms with fully accepting it yet. A part of me wants to believe that maybe it'll go away, since I've heard stories of such things. The realist part of me knows that it probably won't and it makes me both depressed and enraged. Family and friends don't seem to get it. My mom admitted that she avoids the subject because it hurts her that she can't do anything for me. Others seem confident that it'll go away too and brush it off so I'm a little relieved that there's a forum like this where people DO understand, as unfortunate as that may be. I'm going to make another ENT appointment soon and hopefully he can transfer me to an expert that may offer me some kind of treatment.

As far as habituation goes, can someone tell me approximately how long it can take? I've heard anywhere from 6-18 months. I've also heard that tinnitus in one ear could be dangerous or something...hopefully that isn't the case!

Anyways, that's about it. I hope to connect with all of you and will be visiting this forum often since this information is a godsend! Hope you all have a great day and may a cure be found one day! :)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      The 6-18 months time frame you mention above is quite realistic, although there are people who can get better fast or much longer. But I will say that time frame will cover a lot of people. Don't worry much and be positive that in that time frame, you may get better like everybody else. You may want to read up the success story to get an idea how long people generally take to habituate and what are the common ingredients of success.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      Yes, will do! :) I'm a little worried about it because I've read stories where it's taken people a very long time; a few even said that they never did for some reason or another, which is very scary. In a way though, I feel like I've habituated a little already, as the sounds aren't as screeching as they were with the first week. Not sure if it was worsened with fluid, but since it's drained quite a bit that could've helped a tad. Thanks for your input, much appreciated~

4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Habituation is a personal experience, for example, i can deal with the ringing it's annoying still it's harmless... but i have a hard time accepting i won't be playing my guitar on a valve amplifier on volume 10 for the rest of my life...

5. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Hi Brittany. Your tinnitus is quite recent and alot can happen during the first 6 months. It is likely it will calm down and if youre lucky, even go away. Whatever happens tinnitus will with 95% certainty be a non issue for you within 18 months since your brain will adapt to it. Nice to see a fellow anime lover on the forums :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lena C.

Lena C. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi ! I'm 19 years old and I'm suffering from T since july 2014 because of acoustic trauma. It's hard the first time but the habituation is possible. Sometimes, I feel me desesperate but I'm often happy. Good luck and the hope is very important.
      PS : I love anime too. :)

7. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Hi,

Had this since November. I think it's a bit better and I sleep well, then I get anxious and feel it's a lot louder and sleep poorly. I wonder if in truth it's no different and it's just my reaction. Anyway, I am optimistic for you. Just three weeks in is early and you have a great chance of it reducing or going!

I like Pikachu too. lol.

Matt

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      Yes, that would be hard. I'm having a hard time accepting things as well. Probably the worst thing about it in my opinion >.> Also, I see you're an anime lover, that's awesome!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      I really hope that it will, but I'm not going to swear by it. That would be even worse having your hopes crushed >.> Today actually, it calmed a little since last night but I have more head congestion that usual. I wonder if it's connected somehow. 18 months sounds so far but I will do my best to hang in there :) And anime is amazing! haha xD

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      I'm slowly becoming happier and more accepting of it :) Some days are good and some aren't. I'm not used to having these unbalanced days, but I'm starting to come to terms with it. And it's nice to see so many anime fans here, makes it feel a little more...homey I guess you could say? Haha, I don't know xD Best of luck to you too~

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      Thank you, that gives me hope! And yeah, I've heard your reaction is one of the most important things to some kind of relief, so I'm trying to stay positive. I'm glad it's gotten a little better for you, hopefully it only gets better from here onward :) I love Pikachu too..well, Pokemon in general, haha xD

12. maria188

maria188 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced (club)
      Hello Brittany, I'm on my 6th week so far with T and i want to tell you that it's going to get better.I don't know if i'm getting used to it or it is just fading out slowly but i'm trying to stay positive and read the success stories as many times as i can! I suggest to you to do the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

There's a good chance your T will resolve--but if it doesn't do not despair. I am now 16 months in and am habituating. I do all that I used to do--including working, socializing, riding a motorcycle and driving a diesel dually pick up. I use ear protection when riding. My T is loud on days--I hear it above most everything but I notice it less and less. When I do notice it I'm to the point where I don't care--mostly. That's why I say I am habituating because I know I haven't habituated completely. I have two friends with T that actually have to listen for it to hear it. That's my goal but if I don't reach it, I'm still okay--living and enjoying my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      That's where I am right now for the most part as well. I can't tell if it's getting better or if I'm getting used to it..hopefully the former :D I've read a few success stories but it wouldn't hurt to read more. They're very inspiring! Anyways, thanks for responding, I much appreciate it~

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brittany
      Anime

Brittany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      I'm slowly preparing myself for the situation in which it doesn't resolve as well as accepting that's it there and moving on. I can't wait to return to my normal activities without the distraction, that's one of my biggest motivators. Little hard to write novels with this ringing xD I hope I can adapt your same attitude--not letting T limit you. I hope you are able to reach your goal, best of luck~ I'd love to hear how it goes for you :)