Hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cdmeggers, Apr 17, 2015.

1. cdmeggers

cdmeggers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HIB meningitis
      I'm Meghan. I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, it's just a part of me, something I don't think I'll ever be free of. I have had HIB meningitis when I was 2 years old, which resulted in my severe-profound hearing loss, and I'm fairly certain that is what caused the tinnitus too. My left ear has been profoundly deaf (essentially a dead ear), and I had a severe-profound loss in the right. As of October 2014, I have bilateral cochlear implants, which hasn't made any difference with the tinnitus for the right ear (I was hoping the procedure would somehow kill the tinnitus, which did not happen). Basically, the tinnitus is there 24/7. If it's quiet or I don't have my processor on, it's there, buzzing or ringing up a storm, so I never get any true peace and quiet.

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'd recommend trobalt, if you're really desperate. Note the side-effects firstly though. And I honestly feel so, utterly sorry for you...I keep thinking of dark thoughts, so god knows how you manage. You're an inspiration. I wish, truly I could help more, I really do. If you follow me, I'll keep you posted about potential cures...Be there will be one, trust me...Team Autifony!

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome, Meghan. Over the years on tinnitus boards, I have come across people who are either completely deaf or partially deaf. Some with loud T they can't mask. One young lady Zoe Cartwright has been my guiding light for her courage to live life to the fullness despite her unmaskable T. She was completely deaf at 15. Anyway, she decided to accept her loud unmaskable T and pursue her life's goals. She made it to university where she made a tinnitus film call 24.7.52.10 meaning she has had her T 7/24 52 weeks a year for 10 years. Quite amazing film and she even talked about loving her life despite all this. On page 15 of the Positivity Thread (at the top of the Support Forum) I posted her story and the link to her film. You may find some inspiration from reading her story and watching her film, as in here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-positivity-thread.3142/page-15

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cdmeggers

cdmeggers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HIB meningitis
      I'll definitely have to check that out!

For the most part, the tinnitus hasn't been too bad as of late... But then again, I did have strep last week which resulted in a lack of appetite and not eating much, and not taking in much caffeine too. Lo and behold, minimal tinnitus. I was having new tinnitus sounds after the holidays in January that was driving me absolutely insane! CI surgeon prescribed a course of steroids, which I took... after the last dose, the new sounds were gone, only to return 2 weeks later. He then had me take a diuretic. Don't think that's helped much, but the drastic decrease in sodium and caffeine intake last week certainly helped! So I am definitely keeping a closer eye on how much sodium I take in with my food, and still trying my best to decrease my caffeine intake.