Help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Swannys, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hello everyone I’m new to this site. I’m sooooo low right now. I’ve had tinnitus for 3 months and the ONLY reason why I am still alive is because I have 2 young children and I don’t have the bottle to “do it” I have looked on euthanasia websites but just can’t do it! I am on anti depressants, have acupuncture, I meditate, etc etc I really just can’t take this noise ANYMORE!!!!! I don’t really know I expect to gain from this but I’m soooo sooooo bad I don’t know what to do. Sorry

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Swannys

I am sorry to hear that tinnitus is giving you a difficult time at the moment but hopefully, you will start to feel better soon .Please continue taking the antidepressants. You haven't said what caused your tinnitus as this would be helpful? Exposure to loud noise is the most common cause, but many other things can bring on tinnitus too. If you are able to get some counselling with a Hearing Therapist that is trained in the management of tinnitus, I believe this would help. If you are up to it. Please click on the links below and read my posts on positivity. You may not feel positive at the moment, but do try and refer to regularly.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Thank you I will have a look now. I don’t know what caused it. I have had loud noise exposure years ago but have also been very stressed last year.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Swannys ,
      Tinnitus comes with lots of unwanted emotions and tinnitus comes from the same part of the brain as our emotions so you can see why your having a emotional wobble at the moment.
      Try keep relaxing soft music on around you and through the night.
      Make sure your getting enough sleep and eating well and drinking enough fluids.
      Tinnitus can be mental torture and we understand just what you are going through.
      We are here around the clock to support you so your never alone.
      When tinnitus invades our life we question our self on why we got it or did wrong but tinnitus comes with a long list of causes and you might not know why!
      You will find the more you understand about tinnitus and how your tinnitus sounds and effects you then you start fighting back and take control again .
      Remember we are in control of what makes us happy and don't let tinnitus stop that .
      Get your ears checked by ENT and a routine MRI and hearing test and that will give you insight to any problems that could be causing your tinnitus.
      Chin up ... and keep posting and reaching out for support and we will be here for you.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 2
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      What you are feeling is natural. All of us at 3 months out were very lost and scared and bothered too. You have 2 children so try to be strong for them. If the noise bothers you that much, then possible use masking/hearing aids/nature sounds in the background. If your children scream, possibly use ear plugs around them or maybe have someone help you out. You are so blessed to have 2 lovely souls around you and they show nothing but love and compassion towards you.

Your tinnitus is very new and it will take time and support to get stronger and manage it. We are open here on this site 24 hours a day and will support you as well :)

Also, since you don't mention why you got the tinnitus, do know that stress can cause many issues. Do try to reduce your stress in any way you can. Yes, it can be hard raising kids, so try to adjust somehow if possible...

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      I also have mild hearing loss in both e

8. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Most people here went through what you are going through now. It's a horrible feeling as it makes you feel you are on your own. The good news is that there is a lot of hope. You may just be going through a lot of stress, but it's best to get checked out by your doctor. At the very least it will eliviate any fears about your physical heath.

Rather than repeat a lot of what I've said over the last few days (I only joined a few days ago), you may find some of my previous posts helpful. There is a wealth of information here, so have a good read.

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      You have received excellent advice from above posters. The only thing I want to do is to share my success story with you below as I suffered like you and most everyone horribly at the start, with suicidal ideations also like you. On top of my ultra high pitch T, I also have severe hyperacusis. T & H just turned me into a mess and I never thought I could recover. But never say never. Things did improve (and your new T may improve) and today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. Check out my story where I share many helpful strategies. Don't despair. Things will get better. Give it time as you T is very new.
      Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @Michael Leigh , @glynis, @fishbone, @billie48, @Bassplayer
      Thank you so much for all of your kind words, I have read all the articles/threads you have highlighted.......can I ask
      have you all habituated now and doe that mean you don't hear it anymore??
      How are people meant to live with this??
      Does Apple cider vinegar help??
      I was a professional dancer around loud noise for many years and I also have mild hearing loss, I am an over thinker, bit of a perfectionist and am in my menopause......This condition has taken over my life, as I said if it weren't for my boys Im not sure I would be here.
      I am having acupuncture at the moment to relax me, I meditate every day, I am doing a mindfulness course and I am having EMDR which is addressing my difficult childhood.
      I feel like I am doing everything I have also had a Skype session with Julian Cowan Hill and am emailing Glenn from rewiring tinnitus regularly.
      I am so scared and don't know how to be positive and Im scare Im getting into a vicious negative cycle ......
      My brother is a psychologist and he has helped me through soooooo many panic attacks.
      I am 3 months in, is this not a long time, is this normal??? Do I have years of this torture ahead of me??
      My T started off in my right ear for the first month I had nothing in my left, then after a month my left ear joined in, I have a hissing noise with a long monotone ring over the top. Sometimes it is VERY loud in both ears, sometimes my left ear goes off! My left ear has also sometimes made like clicking/knocking noises.....I have had 2 0r 3 days in three months where the level has been VERY low and this gave me a lot of help but have not had that again since.
      Please can you let me know what you think, Im sorry for all the questions but Im at my wits end and I want this to GO and I want to get better!
      Ps I take anti depressants, diazepam and every other night sleeping pills
      Thank you x

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Swannys

Thank you for your kind words. Habituation doesn't mean a person will not hear their tinnitus. My tinnitus is variable. From complete silence, mild, moderate and severe. It can also reach extreme severe levels. However, I have habituated for the 2nd time. Please read the post below which explains the habituation process that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

The habituation process.

Habituation is frequently talked about in tinnitus forums and probably comes in at second place to the popular question: when will a cure be found? It seems some people have become quite taken with this word and believe it is the most important thing to strive for when dealing with this condition. Everyone wants to habituate as soon as possible and carry on living their life doing everything that they want to and putting tinnitus firmly behind them.

I can honestly say that I see nothing wrong with that, but wanting something in the speed that we would like it isn’t always achievable, especially with something like tinnitus. A few people that have had tinnitus for a while, have contacted me to discuss just that. They have concerns about the length of time it’s taking to habituate. Similarly, I have heard from those new to this condition that want the habitation process to start as quickly as possible. Both groups tell me they are doing all the right things but it seems patience is giving way to despondency and despair and some are starting to believe habituation might never happen for them.

It is of little comfort to these people when they hear family and friends say, tinnitus is just a minor irritant and something that can easily be ignored. Occasionally, it might be intrusive but this is never more than temporary and they are still able to carry on with their life unperturbed. I often sense the frustration a person is under when they are relaying this to me. Whether I’m talking to them on the telephone, private messenger or answering an email. It is then that I’m often asked: why is it that the habituation process doesn’t seem to be happening for them?

Answering such a question isn’t easy because there is no single answer that I can provide but I will say this. Tinnitus is a common condition that comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. It can be very troublesome especially in the early stages of onset, but gradually this gives way and the condition settles down and in time many manage to cope with it when it’s mild or moderate. Sometimes this may involve treatment via a hearing therapist or a person achieves this naturally without being referred to a clinic.

It should be noted that tinnitus can be a complex condition, depending on how loud and intrusive it is for the individual? So what I’ve just outlined won’t apply to everyone. There are other factors that also come into play. A person’s make-up or rather their outlook on life. Whether they are positive or negative thinking can help or delay the habitation process. In addition to this, stress and anxiety are often associated with tinnitus and a person might be taking medication such as an antidepressant to help cope with it. There are a myriad of scenarios that I could relay to you on how tinnitus can affect someone’s quality of life, their well-being and the habituation process. For now I will say this:

When a person habituates to tinnitus it means they are able cope with it but this doesn’t mean they will never hear it. Although some people habituate to a level where the tinnitus is rarely heard or stays at a very low level. Whether the tinnitus is silent for periods of time or remains low, mild, moderate or is occasionally intrusive, it doesn’t really matter, because it all means the same thing. When habituation is reached a person will know, because whatever the level it will not bother you. However, like everything there are exceptions and tinnitus is no different. I believe there are some limitations to habituation. As I have previously said the condition comes in many forms and intensities. Some people have variable tinnitus that can fluctuate from silent, mild, moderate and severe. When it is loud and intrusive (severe) and this level is sustained for long periods it can become very debilitating and a person might have to take medication to cope with it, which is usually supplied by their doctor. This level of sustained intrusiveness shouldn’t be confused with a tinnitus spike, which usually returns to baseline within a short period of time.

I want to say that I believe habituation is achievable for most people with time. In some instances a person might need the professional help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, as there are a variety of treatment options available to help one in the habituation process. One should also try to be realistic. There are some people that will accept nothing less than a complete cure from their tinnitus and this is unfortunate, because they could waste a lot of time being miserable.

I have corresponded with people that have said, their tinnitus is very low and is only heard occasionally or in a quiet room, at night for instance. Yet these people are not satisfied because they want a complete cure and will deliberately seek out quiet surroundings to monitor their tinnitus, checking to see if it has increased or not. It’s as if they have become obsessed with this condition and to the point where is starts to affect their relationship with those that are close to them, and I don’t think this is healthy.

In summing up I want to say one last thing. Those that are having treatment with a Hearing Therapist, Audiologist, or finding that their tinnitus is becoming less intrusive and they are in the habituation process. Try not to read negative posts or associate with negative thinking people who are not in the same place that you are, as their beliefs can prevent your advancement, if you are not careful.

• Like Like x 1
    12. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Swannys ,
      Tinnitus can give you an emotional wobble and your emotions and tinnitus both come from the limbic part of your brain .
      Im glad to see your on medication and have contact with talking therapy.
      I think your anxiety is causing you to keep re-thinking about tinnitus and adding to the sound and we can understand.
      For now just concentrate on playing relaxing music to keep you calm and deep stomach breathing.
      Let the professional people whom you are in contact with do their job and you focus on the thought over time things wont seem so bad.
      Tinnitus has no magic wand treatment and it is going take time .
      Be kind to yourself and know we are here for you so your never alone.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
    14. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Swannys ,
      I take a low dose Antidepressant for sleep and sleep ok most nights and tinnitus is sever in both ears.
      I tell my self when I can only hear my tinnitus its my sleep sound and safe in bed...took a while but the tablets work great .
      Love glynis x

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Swannys

Even when my tinnitus is intrusive, I manage to drift off to sleep without any problems. I can only say that my tinintus hasn't woken me up in a long time. I always have my sound machine on by my bedside. If my tinnitus is very loud then taking clonazepam helps me sleep, but I try not to take this too often.

Michael

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    16. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Sleep occurs when we are comfortable and distracted. Make your bedroom as comfortable as you can. Possibly buy a nice bed. I wake up at 6 am and go to bed around 11pm because I have to give my sick dog his med. being productive through the day is key, staying home bound because of tinnitus will not help.

If what I mention above is not achieved, then sometimes even meds will not work.

Good luck!

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma