Here I Go Again

Discussion in 'Support' started by LeQuack, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Thanks man, what you are saying is all true. Just wish I could convince myself that what's past is past. I keep thinking about what if I had done this or that, than this wouldn't have happened. Like it's my fault for being so stupid to stand there while my coworker was cleaning the dishes and not expecting this to happen somehow.

3. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It's just how were wired up, we can't help who we are. We can however change our thought processes if we repeat behaviours enough. Similar to how CBT works. Anytime you find yourself reacting in a way that doesn't benefit you, stop yourself and refocus on something else. If you drill this process in enough you can retrain your thought process from: "I've now damaged my ears and it's my fault; why did I have to stand there. My day is ruined", into: "Another loud bang, oh well who could have expected that. I think ill make some plans for the weekend later and find something fun to do."

I'll restate that if you feel your ears are genuinely being damaged then buy some impulse ear plugs for further peace of mind.

Quick impulsive sounds are usually not dangerous until they get into the high decibels though. The only time I'd get worried nowadays is if someone let a firecracker off near me, or fired a gun etc.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      How do you tell if my ears are being damaged though? I mean I didn't feel any instant ear pain or sudden ringing/muffled hearing after the noise exposure. But I don't know that I can rely just on that fact.

5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I would say it's highly unlikely, but for peace of mind it may be of benefit in your case. Life is full of loud impulse sounds, they rarely reach the "instant damage" territory though.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Here to do more complaining. Just as I was recovering from yesterday's incident today again I was in staircase at work walking down when someone up made a loud noise like slamming something and it echoed all through the staircase. Why can't I have a normal day. Why are people such assholes. Why is the world against me. This world is an awful place to live.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I was hoping the recent noises wouldn't have any effect but it seems my right ear now has worsened because I hear a slight hissing now and for the past two days I've been getting random sharp electrical pain in that ear, it's weird like it just comes out of the blue and lasts for a second and then it's normal again.

8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I am almost 100% sure that your hearing new noises and experiencing those weird sensations because you're 100 % focused on your T 24/7.
      You think the world has turned against you because of door slamming etc in your office when the truth is that it happens to all of us. I hear loud noises practically everyday. Someone slamming a door, the neighbors dog barking, a child with a balloon exploding next to me.
      Your reaction to it is what makes T worse I guarantee you. Whenever I go out and worry too much about how it influences my T I get the same result. Louder T, new noise, etc.
      if you want to change something you really need to see a psychologist or start some kind of behavior therapy. You're constantly on high alert and that's what makes you feel miserable. I think we all go through phases like that but for you it seems like you're currently too much into that high alert depression state and you need some help to stop it, get out and better and move on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree with @seal, you are definitely paying too much attention to your T. You will never be able to avoid doors slamming, baby's crying, dogs barking etc. The only thing you can do is wear earplugs all the time, which I personally don't recommend. Using earplugs may help you cope with your situation, but it may also enforce a new behaviour on you believing it's not safe to go outside without them. You may find it hard to ween yourself off using them if your behaviour is obsessive and it's also not good for the health of your ears to have them plugged all the time.

Our ears need ventilation so plugging them all the time can breed infections amongst other things. You also have to think about it from a safety point of view, if your hearing is impeded you may find yourself in a dangerous situation and not even realise it. I will say though that if using them for the next few weeks/months can bring your anxiety back down to normal levels, then it may benefit you. That's as long as you can stop using them afterwards and not make it a permanent solution.

Seeing a psychologist or a counsellor may be the best way to go.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Thanks guys for the advice. Currently I'm mostly worried that it will somehow affect my tinnitus long term, usually if the next day I see that my T is still the same, I calm down and stop obsessing about the noise, but if my T changes my mind just can't let it go.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Bad news, the spike from last week is still there I'm afraid, the hissing in my right ear. Don't know if it was a one specific event that did it or maybe just the damage accumulated but it doesn't seem to be going away and it's waking me up at night. Very worried now. The shooting electrical pain in my right ear is gone now, but I am guessing it was probably related to the new sound that I am now having. :(

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      The spike unfortunately doesn't seem to be getting any better, perhaps even a bit worse. This new hissing in my right ear is really bringing me down. You guys think I should go to the doctor for some prednisone or something?

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Lequack,
      It wouldn't hurt to see your doctor and see if can give you anything and check your ears again....lots of love glynis

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Well today I stupidly dropped my phone while on the toilet at work, and it's an enclosed space and tiled floors so it made a great loud noise when it landed. Luckily it didn't break at least, but it made me worry again because of the noise.

15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I know it doesn't help for me to say this, (it's like expecting a depressed person to feel better because you tell them to snap out of it) but I'd say your biggest problem is anxiety. You need to regain control it's the only way you can move forward. At this point tinnitus is secondary, you have to get your anxiety under control. It may be time to seek professional help to help get you there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You dropped a piece of plastic on the floor from what 2 feet high? It couldn't possible have been more than 70 db.

As many others have pointed our, tinnitus is likely not the main problem here.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It was a glass Galaxy S6, if it was plastic it probably really wouldnt make a lot of noise.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      still unlikely to be more than about 70 db.

You need to stop obsessing and worrying over every little sound; if you can't find a way to do that, you're going to keep revving yourself up forever.

You have a few different problems, LeQuack. You have an unpleasant and unfortunate condition with your ears, which you may or may not ever be able to really medically address. But this is all caught up with a bunch of aberrant, self-reinforcing feedback loops of anxiety and primal fear, which do not have to have a long-term connection to the ear problems themselves. Breaking those links is likely to be difficult, but I am optimistic that it's possible to do so.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It sure is difficult. But on the other hand yesterday I went cycling for an hour and didn't wear any ear plugs and was not bothered by outside noise or wind. I am more allergic to sudden loud noises, or even afraid of them. And today's sudden noise was more in a 90-100 dB range I think, which is why I worry. Well hopefully I can live through it somehow.

20. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're going to be fine :) Noises have to be orders of magnitude louder than 100db to be immediately damaging.

edit: don't get me wrong, sometimes I wince when I drop a dish or someone slams a car door or something. It used to send me into a blind panic. Now it just makes me wince and maybe blink one eye and cock my head, and then I go right back to whatever I was doing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      So today my ears got assaulted by a dog. I was cycling up the hill so I was going very slow and there was a woman with a medium sized dog walking and I could see the dog was being aggressive and coming towards me and sure enough it came right next to me and started barking loudly. It wasn't until the woman finally pulled him away that he stopped but the damage was already done. I feel like shit now and I will probably give up cycling, too many fucking dogs.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I read that dogs bark can exceed 100dB and can even reach 110dB. So how much damage could that have caused? I was obviously on my bike and the dog was barking near my leg.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Man I am not having a good time, seems like yesterday's dog left a spike in my left ear, the one in which I have the reactive T. Makes sense since the dog was on my left side. Damnit.

24. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @LeQuack

I feel for you but I'm going to give you some tough love. Did you use any earplugs? Especially the impulse ones? If not, why not? Last time you posted it was established you had a phobia of all loud sounds; so as a short term method of overcoming this we mentioned the use of ear plugs and professional help (counselling, CBT etc). Have you done any of these to help yourself?

Whenever we have problems in life, no matter what those problems are, there are nearly always ways of overcoming them but we have to make the first steps. There is only so much people on a forum can say to help you, the rest is up to you.

Hang in there you can beat this but you must make the effort.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Sorry to burden you guys with my problems again but I just have to vent. I was doing pretty okay this week, no loud incidents, that is, until today.

I was sitting and having a cup of coffee with my friend when nearby some guy emptied a whole bin of glass into a trash can, also full of glass. It was so loud I almost jumped out of the chair. :( Even my friend commented on the loud noise, even though he doesn't have T. And now my day is ruined again. I wasn't expecting something like that at all, and even though I lately try to protect my ears, it's hard to sit and talk to people with earplugs because my voice sounds so weird and loud and it's hard to tell how loud you're talking. Screw this world.

26. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Hi
      Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I think it is really hard to wear earplugs and chat to people and probably isnt necessary unless you are having coffee on a firing range. But sounds like you're doing pretty well in meeting up with friends and working and so forth. Hope you get a better week nexk week.

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It's these sudden loud noises that are killing me. And it's usually really loud as in not just loud by my standards but actually loud enough to cause damage. Like today with the glass bin, sounded like 100dB at least, which is enough to cause permanent damage. :(

28. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No offense man, but why do you keep posting the same thing over and over? At this stage, what is the point to the posts? Are you hoping that someone comes up with a better answer than the last 20 times that you heard a noise and posted about it?

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Just venting I guess. Don't have anyone in real life I can complain to about my troubles unfortunately.

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Have you seen a psychiatrist?