Here's a Safe Benzo Drug for Tinnitus Sufferers: Tofisopam (Emandaxin, Grandaxin, Sériel)

Discussion in 'Support' started by peter91, Sep 13, 2020.

1. peter91

peter91 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      coke with anabolic steroids + HGH
      If you have anxiety and want a safe benzo without potential for addiction/withdrawal, there's Tofisopam (Emandaxin, Grandaxin, Sériel).

I used it for 2 weeks with somewhat good results.

I actually have no idea why it's not widely used because its effect is good and it's safe.

Just wanted to let you know.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Why do you think this is safer than any other benzo? As someone who responds strongly and would love to be on a benzo (Xanax basically makes my tinnitus a non-issue), curious on your logic here.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What was your dosage and why did you stop taking it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofisopam

The wiki says it is "safer" but still has potential for withdrawal. I just did a superficial search. I haven't looked into it more.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "Tofisopam is 2,3-benzodiazepine, unilke tradiconal benzodiazepines it does not bind to the benzodiazepine binding site of the GABA A receptor. It does not have anticonvulsant, sedative, skeletal muscle relaxant, motor skill-impairing or amnestic properties. It also been found that it is PED inhibitor which may play role in cognitive improvement. And it does something with dopamine receptors."

From someone more knowledgeable than me - so not sure it would have any effect on tinnitus directly.

• Informative Informative x 3
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      peter91

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      100mg / day.

After cocaine, I got some gut issues. I mean, lately I can't even drink coffee without a feeling of discomfort. Unfortunately, I had abdominal pain from Grandaxin. Still looking with doctors why.
      I actually used it and quit CT without any kind of discomfort (though some psychotherapists suggest tapering, but not as slow as Xanax). Also, my psychotherapist told me it's not comparable in terms of dependence to traditional benzos (Xanax, Lorazepam etc etc) and one could take it safely up to 3 months.
      I felt some positive difference in tinnitus, but maybe it's because of the anxiety levels dropped.

7. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks - definitely appreciate the response!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This seems to strange. It is a benzo, but is a different kind that doesn't have the sedative effect? Does it have a dependence issue like other benzos?

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it's super weird. Structurally it's a benzo, but it doesn't actually bind to the benzo receptor, and it seems to potentiate some BDZ drugs but not others?

Because this is something which is mass produced overseas as a pharma drug but is not used or controlled here, it is super easy to obtain online.

I will leave that to the more intrepid, since my daily Klonopin keeps me good, but I look forward to what anyone has to say about this. On the other hand, weird anxiolytic drugs from Russian markets are a dime a dozen and most of them are useless.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      peter91

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, no sedative effect. Rather energizing a bit.

Dependence isn't that strong if one keep take it up to 3 months. I mean, you can't compare dependence of traditional benzo to it, no way.
      Agree, it's weird. But this is how it is.

It is not useless but not as strong as Xanax. Rather like Atarax (Hydroxyzine).
      Also, it has some positive effect on cognition, rather than making memory worse as other benzos.

About safety -- as far as I know it's really safe (if you compare it to Hydroxyzine).

11. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you take this everyday or as needed?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      peter91

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Supposed to be taken daily. I took it daily. However one can take it situationally, e.g. before/after stress.

13. Turgy

Turgy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      where can I buy it?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      peter91

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my country at any Pharma shop provided you have prescription for it. You can search over the internet. But I would strongly suggest checking if it is legal to buy this online in your country (it's a prescription benzo drug mate!!)

• Like Like x 2
    15. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't need a doctor to prescribe it where you are from?

Keep us updated as to how it goes!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      peter91

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my country you still need a doctor to prescribe it.

But you know, if you really want... you can get almost anything...

17. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      There is a Japanese study for tinnitus but in the context of dysautonomia and apparently low pitched:

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jibirin1925/82/1/82_1_133/_article

Clinical Evaluation of Tofisopam in the Treatment of Tinnitus

Abstract
      Our previous reports dealt with tinnitus and impaired hearing as autonomic dysfunction in the field of otorhinolaryngology. In 46 patients, tinnitus without hearing loss or with impaired hearing of low-pitched sounds was the manifestation of autonomic dysfunction, as diagnosed by Schellong's test and T. M. I. These patients were treated orally with Tofisopam 150mg daily (50mg three times a day), and changes in the severity of tinnitus were monitored. The treatment was markedly effective or somewhat effective in 32 (70%) of the 46 patients. Schellong's test done at intervals of 2 weeks became negative in 70% of the 20 patients. These results indicate that Tofisopam is effective in the treatment of tinnitus.

18. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm kinda looping back to consider this. Xanax literally saves my ass - if I could use something more liberally that had fewer issues, I would love to. That being said I know this is less potent than Xanax as it binds to fewer receptors, so I'd be really curious to see how it affects my tinnitus if at all. If it did have an effect on tinnitus, pairing it with an anxiolytic like CBD would be easy.

Xanax sort of has the effect on my tinnitus people seem to describe in the positive Lenire reviews - the sound is still there but so much more tame and soft - functionally I don't really mind it so it's as if I'm cured.

19. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely worth looking into, you might stumble into a lucky combination. I wish CBD worked for me. It spikes my tinnitus :(

As for benzos the jury is out on whether GABA drugs have contributed to make my tinnitus the agony it currently is. This one looks quite different though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    21. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Greg. I have saved it in my laptop folder. At the moment I'm too distressed to read but I'll try in the evening when I can tolerate this horrid electric signal a little better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      peter91

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bumping this thread.

Did anyone try this already?

@Chinmoku
      @GBB

P.S. I had GERD so that's why benzos are not a choice for me (and they also discontinued this product).

23. Dolgoruki

Dolgoruki Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Anyone tried this already?

• Like Like x 1
    24. Chinmoku

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No I didn't try it. I'm still on Clonazepam :(

25. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi all. I have been prescribed Clonazepam but haven’t taken it. I hate medications that impair my motor skill wise or cognitively so it’s very unfortunate that my Type A personality now endures severe tinnitus. I browsed the study and what’s interesting for me is I’ve been diagnosed with POTS and have normal hearing. I’m inclined to look into this over the Clonazepam.

Have you found anything more recent than this study @Chinmoku?

@GBB, @peter91, did this have any effect on your tinnitus?

26. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Just reporting back for anyone interested. I’ve been taking Grandaxin 2-3x daily at 50 mg and it cut my tinnitus in half. I have centralized high frequency (14-15 kHz) oscillating reactive tinnitus so for me it has been severe. No side effects besides a slight headache the first week and I do like that it is non-intoxicating for the most part.

I shudder to think I’m in the Schulman camp but am taking this to avoid that potential fate for now.

27. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervicogenic headaches, Anxiety, OCD, Zoloft
      @IntotheBlue03, how is the Grandaxin working out for you? I'm 3 weeks into tinnitus hell and I've taken .5 mg Klonopin once and it helped a lot but I feel like it's a band aid. Looking for other less addictive options. Thanks.

28. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hey @Ben Johnson, it cuts my tinnitus in half and definitely takes the edge off anxiety wise. It is non intoxicating I definitely recommend it. I’m still having some panic issues but working on that.

29. Ben Johnson

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @linearb, I read where you said you take Klonopin and it keeps you good. I just got tinnitus and have noticed when I take .5 mg of Klonopin it really helps me cope. I've only taken it a couple of times as I'm afraid of the dependency issue.

My mother has been taking 4 mg of Clonazepam a day for 20 years for A & D and she does great.

Do you mind if I ask your Klonopin dosage and how long you've taken it? Have you had to steadily increase the dose? Any information would be helpful. I'm also considering asking my psych about Grandaxin, SSRI, SNRI, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

30. Ben Johnson

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great! I'm going to ask the doctor about it. These first few weeks have been the toughest of my life. On one hand, I want to take meds to deal. On the other, I don't want the meds hindering habituation... I have C2/C3 problems in neck which has been causing non-stop tension headaches leading up to this tinnitus hell. I'm considering weekly neck massages but that may be fool's gold. I'm a candidate for surgery but that might open a whole new can of worms.