Hey Everyone...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pinnypoona, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      :love:(y) My name is Pip and I've suffered from T for 6 years but it has worsened by 75% over the last 9 months, and continues to get louder each week. I have buzzing in both ears, but my left is higher pitched so more predominant. I also have a fullness and some pain with constant headaches. No idea what caused it. Maybe too much fun back in my party days with loud music and late nights! :whistle:

Now I have 2 little boys who are very noisy (but gorgeous obviously :D) and cause me lots of discomfort. I have to run out of the room when they shout/scream/cry as my eardrums vibrate and hurt.

I had an MRI in August which was completely normal and have an appt at a T clinic 20/11 for further tests. I have tried acupuncture and oxygen therapy (airnergy) so far but nothing has helped.

Also suffer with back/neck problems (again an MRI showed nothing) since having my sons and sleep has always been an issue. I've tried endless pills - herbal and non herbal - hypnotherapy, acupuncture, hormone testing, but to no avail, I'm simply rubbish at sleeping (but I make a mean butternut squash soup!). Always willing to try new therapies and keep positive but have my moments where I worry about what lies ahead...

I found this website out of sheer desperation and have to admit it made me pretty emotional to read some of your stories and realise how common it is and to know there are people who understand. :love:

Thank you reading this and letting me have a moan:arghh:
      Take care

X

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi Pip - I'm sorry to read your T has become louder recently - I can so relate to the 'rubbish at sleeping' quote - I am with you on this one ! I can't remember if I ever did sleep all night before T - before kids - I probably did as a teenager ! But I make rubbish soup ;) I do a mean choc chip cookie - we should trade recipes ;)

I'm newish to this 5 months or so now and I struggle with sleep - I have good weeks when I actually go to sleep quickly but wake up a few times but drift off again - then I have rubbish weeks where I manage of a couple of hours ! Some people just dont sleep well and reckon that could be us :sleep:

Im trying some herbal stuff at the moment and acupuncture, I read you have already done this sort of stuff - I'm not sure if I can offer any ideas for you as Im newer to this and trying things you've already done - but I wanted to say HI and I relate to the sleep thing :) Cher xx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      :welcomesignanimation:

You seem to have tried lots of different treatments. Sorry to hear none have helped.

Can you tell a bit more about the Airnergy? I looked at their website and thought it looked a bit iffy... so I did further research and found this post on some forum:
      Not very impressed and would advise caution before anyone tries this...

I'm really sympathetic to your situation though and wonder, why does it keep getting worse? Wish I had the answer. :(

Do you have any hearing loss? Have you had an audiogram?

The appointment at the tinnitus clinic sounds good - too bad it's still over a month away, but try and hang in there until then.

That butternut squash soup, mmmm, delicious!

Keep us updated!

Markku

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Hi Cher,

Lovely to hear from you.
      It's hard coping with T when you feel so awful from a bad nights sleep isn't it? I find I'm so exhausted at the end of a day so can fall asleep easily but wake after 3 hours and toss and turn the rest of the night :arghh: It doesn't make my T any worse which I'm so thankful for :)

Let me know how you find the acupuncture. Different strokes for different folks and all that.... I take a few supplements daily and exercise regularly but each night is different. What herbal stuff are you taking?

Is that a cocker spaniel in your photo? We have a chocolate brown one called Bertie. He's like my third son!!!!

Thanks for introducing yourself to me.:)
      X

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Hi Markku :)

Thanks for your reply.

A good friend of mine bought the machine from a friend and has been using it herself with great results (not T - low energy levels and problems sleeping) and wanted me to try it out for all my issues!!! I did 20 mins a day for 10 days and felt no difference at all. Luckily I didn't have to pay!

I have a 15 decibel difference in my left ear which is why I had the MRI scan to rule out infection and MS. I feel it has deteriorated since August and am praying the appt in Nov will help in some way. Not had an audiogram yet.

Will let you know any progress.

Pip
      X(y)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Also wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about Naproxen making T worse?

Thanks

x

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    8. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi Pip - My pup is a Field Spaniel called Dylan we did have a cocker spaniel a blue roan called Ralph they are lovely dogs - Im potty about spaniels - and yes he is my baby boy - Ive got 2 daughters so he's the son I never had ;)

Im taking valerian tablets and magnesium daily about an hour before I go to bed somenights I think they do help - and I have rescue remedy night drops. I was taking Zopiclone from the Doc but was scared about the side effects and long term addiction so I binned them when they actually started to make me feel worse with the drug induced sleep !

Last night was a rough night for me my T was really annoying and that was after an acupunture session so Im sitting on the fence over that at the moment - but will give it a fair bash.

I will follow your thread see what others jump on and offer advice which they will keep us posted what works or helps Cher x

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Thanks Markku(y)

Just had a chat with my brother in law who is a newly qualified doctor and he suggested using paracetamol (2x every four hours) instead of naproxen and seeing how it affects my T. He feels that in the majority of cases he has dealt with over the last year, stress is the main contributor and relaxing/taking your mind off it is the best way to cope. Easier said than done.....:meh:

x

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Dylan is gorgeous! Spaniels are such a lovely breed aren't they. He helps me through my bad days and always wants to sit on my lap if there isn't a child already occupying it!!!

I also use magnesium regularly (in a spray) aswell as bath salts. I used zoplicone for a few weeks and developed severe paranoia! It was terrifying. I thought there were people in the house with me and always felt like someone was watching me. My doc then gave me diazepam which I use now and again but I'm trying to find a more natural way. Have you tried Melatonin, 5HTP or relaxwell? They might help you.

How long have you had T? Can you pinpoint when/why it started?

x :)

11. Bunker

Bunker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/82
      Hi Pip,

I was about to post my own "Intro" post to this forum, being a new member, when I read yours instead and had to respond. You are not alone. I have had T since 1982 in my left ear, at a tolerable level. In 1999, as a result of a car crash, the level was increased dramatically plus now in both ears although louder in the left. I suffered neck/back injuries in the crash which led to surgeries, migraines, and complications over the years. Starting to sound familiar, gets closer. A few months ago I began physical therapy for the neck issues and part of the therapy led to an intolerable increase in the T. Apparently a known possible side effect, although unknown to me at the time! If only I could go back in time and skip those sessions. Living with what I define as moderate T was easy...did it for so many years. What you describe....well, you are not alone.

Be careful with the meds. Been there, done that, and it's a dangerous, complicated road. Might be different for each individual is the only issue so take what you read as advisory only, not gospel.

So, you are like me in that the remedies that produce soothing or masking sounds are useless, correct? The T is too loud and it overpowers other sounds, no matter how loud, and certain environments are uncomfortable? Unlike a person with mild to moderate T, who looks for masking sounds and avoids quiet rooms, you would rather be in a quiet room and just deal with the T at times (because that's all you can tolerate)? Feel like screaming into a pillow?

Bunker

12. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Yes for sure Dylan has helped me though long lonely nights and he has gone for many a stroll with me at any hour I request .

I've not tried those other options you mentioned I am on anti depressants and my acupuncture lady mentioned the 5htp but was concerned about my anti d and that together I may ask the doc when I see them time. I've also read that melatonin should be used by the over 55s only as under that age it can effect the bodies natural ability to produce it but I may be misunderstanding this ? Have you tried it ? Lots of people on here do talk about it - hope you having a good day Cher x

13. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Hi Pip,
      Welcome. I have not been a member here long even tho I have had tinnitus for several years. It is a great site for T. suffers. By far I think the best forum dealing with tinnitus.

The people here have tired everything and are willing to try anything. What works for one does not work for the other but we can relate our own experiences and offer support.

I have learned from experience that most people just cannot relate to tinnitus unless they have it but here the people understand.

I to tried almost anything to help with my tinnitus. Fighting the anxiety, depression and sleeplessness that often comes with the T. is a battle in itself.. I tried different drugs but ended taking Xanex and Klonoplin for several years with very bad results when coming off these Benzos . I now take REMERON an anti depressant which helps greatly with my sleep.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Hi Cher,

I have heard that 5htp doesn't mix well with certain anti d's. It actually worked better for me than melatonin. Relaxwell is a combination tablet. Can't remember whats in it. Have a look at the link below

http://goodhealthnaturally.com/products/L_tryptophan_L_theanine_Vit_B/

I suffered from heavy head syndrome every morning after using melatonin and prefer feeling 'naturally' tired so am struggling through!!

I have to say that since taking a decent vitamin b complex for the past 4 months I feel much more energised and able to cope with things, even after a 'busy' night fighting with my pillow. I've also tried drinking organic apple cider vinegar in hot water each morning as it's supposed to help with lots of different ailments. It's hard to stomach at first but is very alkalising and good for your body's PH levels.

My next step is to try sleep reduction therapy. Google it and see what you think. It's quite drastic but has worked for everyone that has tried it. It basically exhausts you so you fall asleep and stay asleep!!

Hope you have a good night tonight
      Pip
      x

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007

Hi Relic Hunter,

Thanks for your message. It's so reassuring and comforting to know others understand how you feel. I've never joined a forum before and didn't know which way to turn so I'm really pleased this site came up in my search.

I feel from my experience that sleep deprivation can, and does lead to feelings of despair and not being able to cope with T and people who don't have it, cannot understand how crippling it is.

It's great to hear you are able to get some sleep now.
      x

16. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi Pip hope your doing ok - I took some time to read up on that sleep reduction therapy and I reckon I would give that a go after Ive given my current tatics (acupuncture and those tablets Im taking) a run for their money - if Im onto a winner great if not its time to another approach !!

If you do have a bash at it please let me know how to do and how you did it ?

Im also going to print out that link you sent me and take it to the docs next week I want to ask his advice about alternative sleeping stuff as I reckon he will start to reduce the AD's Im on or if he doenst Im still keep to ask about things clashing with the AD's

All this research gets mind boggling all I want to do is sleep :sleep: I get well annoyed with the other half who can sleep for Queen and country :rolleyes:

Keep me posted Pip - Cher x

17. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I know, I know... I watch my husband zonk out and snore away all night and I just want to throttle him ;)
      Cheers to all us night owls!

D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have the same problem with sleep. I've tried all sorts of remedies, and some work for awhile, and then stop working! I'm currently trying Chinese herbs; they work pretty well about every two or three nights; then, I'll go a night or two without sleeping. But, what is encouraging to me is that my tinnitus has been calmer since I've been taking them! (An Shen Bu Xin Wan) I don't take the full dose recommended on the bottle; I only take between 4 and, at the most, 8 pellets per day. It is mildly calming, and helps somewhat with sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pinnypoona

Pinnypoona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007

Hi Cher,

I know I should start the sleep reduction therapy sooner rather than later but it's abit like starting a diet - there's never a good day! I'm so exhausted by 10pm I can't keep my eyes open and the thought of staying up til 1am is not appealing when I'm up 6am with the little ones! My problem is staying asleep. I zonk out for 3 hours and then I'm awake for the rest of the night tuned into my buzzy head. Seeing doc Friday so I'll find out if there is something more compatible for T than diazepam.

My husband could sleep on a washing line and it drives me crazy!

Will keep you posted. Hope your doc can help you. I'm having Acu again on Friday. She wants to try something else on me aswell as give my energy levels a kick start which is fine by me :)

Let me know when you have any news.

Sending you lots of sleepy vibes :sleep:;)

X