Should Everyone with Tinnitus Have Prednisone Available in Case of Emergency?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ben Winders, Sep 12, 2022.

?

Should everyone with tinnitus have Prednisone at the ready in case of emergency?

1. Yes

2. Maybe

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I was wondering if it would make sense for everyone with (disabling) tinnitus to stock up on Prednisone in case we run into a loud accident along our lives (bound to happen)?

I'm imagining something happening at 3 am on a Sunday morning when I'm on a trip on a remote island in Thailand (just an example) where I can't just run to the doctor to get a prescription.

2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I feel like Prednisone barely ever works well for tinnitus spikes. Too many people here consider taking Prednisone for even the tiniest noise incident.

I have Prednisone always ready to go though in case I get sudden sensorineural hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I see too much nonsense and paranoia on here and people taking Prednisone after every loud noise exposure. It is a serious drug that lowers immunity. I've seen people take it just because their smoke alarm has gone off in their house.

Sudden hearing loss - yes!

• Agree Agree x 5
    4. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was on Prednisolone and can truly say that this is a dangerous drug. It gave me all kinds of side effects (the biggest one TERRIBLE INSOMNIA) and did nothing for my problem. I was more than glad when it was out of my system.

• Like Like x 2
    5. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Prednisone helped with my fullness in my ears but I believe it made tinnitus seem louder than normal.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      I would not recommend.

I have Prednisone on hand at home. Many times I considered using it after sound exposure, many times I pulled through without. In theory you should always wait out a spike first to see if it goes down. However, 2 weeks ago my daughter dropped her glass on a porcelain plate. I knew it was going to be bad. Two weeks later (now) still tinnitus from hell. Seems like my third worsening in 13 months of tinnitus. I decided not to take Prednisone, since it was sound exposure 1/3 of a second (no idea how loud, easily above 100 dB though).

My point is you never know when you should have taken Prednisone or not. Having it at home doesn't make it any easier. Especially with stories of people worsening on it too. It has been tested several times and it has no clinically significant effect on tinnitus.

My suggestion is live life without Prednisone unless there is sudden hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Prednisone for any sudden hearing loss but not specifically for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I keep Dexamethasone on hand, much, much longer half life and won't screw with inner ear fluids like Prednisone can. Probably the steroid of choice if you're going to do it properly.

I've only used it once, when I lost 20 dB hearing for over a day in one ear. Worked within 4 hours, peaked by day 3. Counted my lucky stars I had it. Tinnitus improved a fair amount and my hearing hasn't been so good on a test in literally YEARS.

The taper fucking sucked, my hearing decreased a "bit" and my tinnitus was ungodly.

But, I got a lot better once 6 half lives passed, and would do it over again.

I would never use it on tinnitus because it can absolutely worsen it. Prednisone itself I wouldn't do unless the Dexamethasone was unresponsive.

I'm "only" 32, so it can happen to anyone imo. My whole body is breaking nowadays, and I feel like ears can take the least punishment of all. They can't rock out anymore like my 24-year-old ones did.

9. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did the fullness resolve completely? Also, did the improvement last?

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I do have Prednisone available in case of emergency.

11. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After I quit Prednisone, my fullness came right back. Now it goes back and forth. Some days it is better than others.