Hey Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by eldudebro, Aug 25, 2014.

1. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Been browsing the site every day since my T kicked in. Found it to be very helpful. I'm Robert from the UK and I am 33 years old.

I am just shy of 4 weeks of suffering the dreaded T. I went to bed on the evening of July 31st and notice a high pitched whine in my left ear. Since then it's been a horror story of anxiety, wishing it would go away, insomnia, panic attacks, you name it.

I'm really struggling to accept that it's there and every day seems hard. Thinking how I have gotten it, a few days before it started at work I was close to a large bang that hurt my ears, though it didn't hurt. So it could be that, but sadly I feel it's the years of ipod use and concerts over time that has gradually accumulated and my ear has given up finally. If only I had been aware of how damaging these things can be.

I'm still clinging to the hope that it will fade, but bracing myself that i'll need to adjust to life with it. I love silence, I love sitting in silent places and relaxing. Sadly with this going on in my head, this isn't likely to happen again.

I've noticed over the last few weeks that my ear feels blocked and is constantly popping. Is this normal? When I woke from the sleep I got last night my inner ear was feeling painful. I've been the docs and he said it looked normal with no sign of infection. I am currently waiting for my ENT appointment though I don't hold much hope for that, just reassurance perhaps that my hearing isnt badly damaged.

Well , that's my story till now. Life is kind of miserable but trying to keep positive. Hope you are all doing well.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, and welcome to Tinnitus Talk!

To answer your question about ear fullness and popping, yes, that is very normal. I think most of us with tinnitus have had that at some point. I've had severe tinnitus for over four years now, and I had that in the beginning. It is now totally gone. It took awhile to go away, but if you give it time, you'll notice some improvement.

The key to managing tinnitus is to try to find ways to get your mind focused on other things. In the beginning, that is very difficult to do, but it will get easier as time passes. Your mind and body need time to adjust to this new condition. When you've adjusted, you'll notice that it doesn't bother you quite as much as it did in the beginning.

I wish you a calm and peaceful day, and we're glad you've joined us!

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Great points Karen, This is my 7th week with T and the loud T sounds have gone in my ears. I can finally sleep without any music and mostly hear my T when sleeping sideways on pillow.
      I think my T was due to Ciprodex ear drops and it might take months for it to completely go away so right now its fingers crossed. Never use ototoxic drops in ears.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Hi Karen and Ricky,

Thanks for the friendly welcome. I take on board what you say. Trying to be hopeful but i'm finding it really hard to relax with this noise in my ear. I just can't get my mind off it.

Think I am still in shock that this just happened to me to be honest. It's just a waiting game to see if I improve I guess.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Karen are you saying your 'T' has gone away or you learned to live with it? My 'T' becomes severe at times but I eventually learn to live with it. It is never gone.

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Ken219

No, my T is never gone. How I wish it were!! What has gone away are the crackling/popping noises and the ear fullness. I've come to terms with my tinnitus, and am living with it the best I can. It's harder for me to tune it totally out than most people, since I have pulsating as well as ringing. I just try to stay active, and stay away from quiet environments as much as possible.

Did you say that you have pulsating, too? If so, then you understand what I mean. We just do the best we can, and live from day to day. I've had various tests, and my PT isn't due to a life-threatening condition, so I've opted at this point to get back to my normal life, and that's what I've done!

Thanks for asking, and I hope you're having better days these days, too.

• Agree Agree x 1