Hi, I Don't Notice My Tinnitus During the Day — I Kept Overthinking It and Now Struggling to Sleep

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Junaid_t, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Hi guys I’m a new member here. I’m a 37 year old male. Work as a librarian believe it or not!!

I have had tinnitus since the age of 19. It never bothered me during the day only at night. It would get really loud at night but I’d still be able to fall asleep. So that’s 18 years where I’ve managed to habituate.

Two weeks ago I started overthinking about the tinnitus because I went to a wedding with loud music. My tinnitus only initially spiked but then it was fine when I got home. I just started overthinking about it for the next couple of weeks. Constantly thinking about worse case scenarios. - what happened if it’s did get worse would I lose my job my wife etc etc I just got my self in a panic. I still don’t notice it during the day when I go to work etc only in a quite room or when I sleep. The problem I have is that because I kept overthinking about it I’m now struggling to sleep. My body keeps feeling tense and heating up and I can’t relax. I don’t think the sound of the tinnitus is bothering me as when I use a masker my body still feels the same. I don’t understand what’s happened. The tinnitus is not bothering me during the day so why do I feel like this? Have I given myself anxiety? Should I try taking sleeping pills? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Possibly put on some low volume background noise, tranquil noise. Focusing on the tinnitus, no matter what the level of intensity is can possibly annoy us. I have had accidental noise traumas many times, I never tried to re-think the situation(s), because it would just add stress to my system. Our ears are very delicate, as is our system. Stress can possibly amp it up. Over-thinking is not out of the norm, I have done it before.

You just need, to try to shift that focus away from the ringing. You need to relax your mind, even if your ears still ring. There are a few techniques to do this. You have to see, what works for you and your situation. Tinnitus is all about adjustments and see what can work for us.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Thank you! I’ve never had trouble sleeping before so I think it’s just the anxiety from overthinking which is what’s done it. I will try your advice now

• Like Like x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Perhaps try the technique by IWLM in his success story called 'Back to Silence'. Go to the Success Stories under Knowledge Base and you will find the success story. It teaches you a simple method to deal with hearing the ringing so you won't get too nervous thinking about it. Many people find it quite useful. You can also try masking it if it gets bothering too much. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Thank you. Had a disastrous night no sleep at all. That’s two nights in a row. Not sure what I’ve done to myself with this overthinking. Will try the methods he mentioned. Thinking of maybe getting some sleeping pills or some kind of herbal medicine for tonight.

6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Junaid_t -- If you're open to somewhat of a spiritual orientation, check out THIS POST I made on what consistently helps me sleep. -- All the Best...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      The source of your anxiety is the fear of your tinnitus getting worse and the consequences that you've predetermined would happen (losing everything). I think you just have to reassure yourself that you're doing everything right, protecting your ears from noise and avoiding ototoxic meds. If you keep up your health, I'd say the odds are in your favour. You sound like your tinnitus is mild, so rejoice in that and carry on with life. Convince yourself that even if it did somehow get worse, you'd be able to fight it. Take a look at the promising drugs in clinical trials on the research thread that will soon hopefully bring us relief. Take comfort in that hope.

I use valerian root, magnesium, and melatonin. They really help my body unwind and get ready for sleep.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Thanks guys. Really helpful posts on here I’m feeling positive. Just need to get my sleeping back on track and hopefully I’ll be fine. I’m going to try and buy those herbal meds you mentioned. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Junaid_t

You have been given some good advice by members on this thread. Therefore, when you have time click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus. I advise that you don't use headphones or headset even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

• Like Like x 2
    10. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Do you exercise? It helps in getting more tired before sleep (no overthinking if you fall asleep right away), and it helps to feel better in general. I never realized the impact of it before I started cycling every day.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Thank you so much guys! This is such a fantastic support place. I will try all the advice I have been given. I do go to the gym but haven’t since I had this anxiety but I’m going to try that as well.

• Like Like x 1
    12. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      You can also try some boring and repetitive mental exercise such as counting or mental maths. This will distract the mind from focussing on tinnitus and getting anxious. Being bored and repetitive, the mind will get tired and will likely sleep. For example, try counting and mentallt saying "1 little donkey, 2 little donkeys, 3...", etc. This plus taking a warm bath after some exercise, and perhaps a cup of warm milk or water should help relax you to sleep. You can drink chamomile tea or take melatonin to help too if needed. Good luck. God bless.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Hi guys. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took time out to write me a reply and give me some amazing advice.

I had a lovely sleep last night !! I did the boring mental maths! Was counting camels monkeys donkeys lol really helped. I took valerian root just before getting into bed. I didn’t need to use a sound masker or anything.

I’ve realised it’s not the actual tinnitus that bothers me but the negative thinking I have in my mind. That causes great anxiety to me. I made sure every time I had a negative thought I read what tweedleman wrote and that gave me comfort.

I just have to keep busy stay on top of my anxiety and I should be ok. If I have a relapse I’ll just look at this thread again to help me.

thanks again guys! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1