HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Surgery

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Feb 21, 2012.

1. yea....don't even want to say....I got nothin..;)

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      You're very mysterious lately.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. hahahahah nahhh...not ANYMORE. fell down a
      rabbit hole recently but I have emerged..Lynn is back! or Street Spirit..whatever. .

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I must admit I preferred Lynn.

• Like Like x 1
    5. ME TOO.. but a Mad Man took me hostage! Made me change my name and all! It's just a name..and a great bloody tune ;) .....one of my faves.

6. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

what or why should I comment on something after reading rows and rows of lies, insults and injuries of various kinds? is this support? I see no reason to comment on anything.
      I can only be grateful to lynn, marrku, dannyboy and few others for the real support. No fancy fiction. Only reasons i see it this thread will be closed. It haven't reasons to exist

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    7. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm sorry Viking...Some people can be so so cruel. I'm glad you're not MIA anymore. I missed you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Deep brain stimulation seems to be more effective of thermal lesioning of the thalamus.

In a preliminary study by the authors[60], 3 of the 7 patients with tinnitus who received DBS treatment for movement disorders reported tinnitus reduction by DBS. The effectiveness is similar to ablation reported by Jeanmonod et al. (3 of 6 subjects reported tinnitus improvement). It is interesting that ablation and stimulation of non-auditory structures modified tinnitus perception. This implies that tinnitus perception can be mediated by non-auditory as well as auditory structures and that the success of DBS for tinnitus relief is not strictly limited to targeting auditory structures, although auditory structures would seem to be the targets of choice for most effective stimulation.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1672293007500012

When the deafferentation is too wide in bandwidth, it is hypothesized that the missing information is retrieved from theta-mediated parahippocampal auditory memory. This suggests that based on the amount of deafferentation TCD might change to parahippocampocortical persisting and thus pathological theta–gamma rhythm. From a Bayesian point of view, in which the brain is conceived as a prediction machine that updates its memory-based predictions through sensory updating, tinnitus is the result of a prediction error between the predicted and sensed auditory input.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4460809/

Now the algorithm who explain the oscillations in T loudness:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0053180#pone-0053180-g001

Final the best stimulation available in Dallas by Sven Vanneste;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=vanneste+multitarget+tinnitus

Good luck!

9. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Hey @Viking
      Just wanted to say hi my friend, hope things are going better for you, although this thread has definitely been getting a bit weird to follow.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Hey my dearest @dan how are you? We finally can meet! I'm in your beautiful country! when you want! Keep me updated!

All the best!

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Radiohead?

• Like Like x 1
    12. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      i been to dr jeanmonod...

he has not so good results in treating tinnitus as he explained to me....

and he treat essential tremor and Parkinson mostly, tinnitus treatment is 0,7% of patients and almost never 100% (that was kind to say he said there is no magical operation or pill for tinnitus except to accept it)

to add he said only 62,5% (or 5/8 people) have very positive reaction on operation, but positive is 30% and so on he told me never 100% or so much, there is no cure for tinnitus, in best case still a big part stays.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Interesting. So he took your money to say this??? Why?

Also I assume you had a qEEG? will you post it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Don't ENT's do the same? To then tell you, to just live with it.

• Like Like x 1
    15. My sentiments exactly. .ask for a refund LOL.

16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Can you even do that?

17. No.

Anyways ..a qEEG would be of course be non refundable. ..but I see no evidence of one so I don't know...otherwise why would he offer any service?

ahahahhahahahha

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will not post it, he criticized point that we share our privacy so ... and i need qeeg for rtms in Sweden, and to send it to Belgium to bra2n and so on, i just needed it for that...

is that ok?

• Creative Creative x 1
    19. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      it is on
      it is only one type of loreta qeeg in europe. 3D
      it is brain activity scan, something MRI cant record

20. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      in old China you payed a doctor when you were healthy ... not when you were sick. If he keeps you healthy he deserves the money ... if not he should try harder.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. michganman45

michganman45 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cholesteatoma
      Hi, I'm new here and just read through all of the posts (23 pages!). My heart goes out to all of you, especially RCP1 and Viking... I truly hope we all find relief from this soon.

I've had tinnitus for my entire adult life (played guitar in rock bands and took a lot of aspirin for a bad back) but it was always manageable... didn't really affect my quality of life. This past winter I went almost deaf in my left ear... turns out there was a cholesteatoma on my eardrum. I had surgery to remove it... the procedure was successful but the tinnitus in that ear has significantly increased. It's a high-pitched whistle, like a tea kettle coming to a boil.

I try to ignore it but it's becoming more and more difficult. I still enjoy listening to music but - even at lower volumes - it seems to make the T worse.

I'm praying for some type of treatment to emerge. It doesn't have to be a complete cure... just something to alleviate the sound, to a reasonable level. What I've read here has given me hope :)

• Like Like x 4
    22. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Welcome Mr. Lebowski aka The Dude!

• Like Like x 1
    23. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:

For now HIFU in not realistic treatment for tinnitus just parkinson and tremmors. When i was in HIFU center doctor explained me that 0.65% patient they help have tinnitus and same ca ra 62% have shown positive effect up to some extent. Sugary is 30 000 euro so if you pass assessment you can try to see will it help a little none.

24. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think ENT are not the doctors to treat tinnitus, because tinnitus is neurological + ear problem and neurologist with ENT should work together on it is SOON as there is tinnitus, to combat reverse or minimize the same.

• Agree Agree x 6
    25. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Does anyonrme know if Dr. Jeanmonod is still taking T patients? I feel like I heard he wasn't anymore. I'm also interested to see if anyone has spoken to Dr. Sven Vanneste at UT Dallas for DBS info?
      http://www.utdallas.edu/~sxv140030/contact.html

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. Joan A.
      No Mood

Joan A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2000/ spike 2006/ massive 2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      Dr. Sven Vanneste is not recruiting people https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01962558
      the study are in progress and are promising.

Dr. Jeanmonod don't do clinical trials. His treatment is based on a theorical model called thalamocortical dystrithmya but there aren't evidences of success in treating the tinnitus.

Unfortunately for us, there are many type of tinnitus source related. I will go to brain2 clinic (it's linked with Sven Vanneste lab) in february to get a qEEG for 140 euros and try some stimulation like rTMS or tRNS for.
      The costs for Jeanmonod clinic are more higher than Belgium (around 2000 euros) and the waiting list is very long.

In conclusion, it seem that brain2 clinic could be more specific for tinnitus investigations and treatments than Obach clinic, who mainly treat stroke, parkinson's disease and essential tremors refractory to drugs treatments and only if responsive to the eeg criterya.

Here the contacts for the brain2: http://www.brai2n.com/

• Informative Informative x 2
    27. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      to those that did HIFU and don`t come to speak about ... LAME!

what happend to Viking???

• Like Like x 1
    28. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      Hi Christian, "monacco" from tinnitus talk forum, tell me to ask you if you have some news of viking. I am looking for it! Do you have his fb page or something? I am italian like viking!

29. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viking had 2 nick, MIA and Viking. He tried surgeries and they failed. Honestly he was so in pain and he had head nerve operation that i do not know is he there at all, and if h is he suffer grately, God give him bit of peace and help him. He also identified himself as gangster but i will not judge his operation cos 30 000 € and one dont get them by working low job. Anyhow I dont know what happen to him, but i hope he is better.

concerning HIFU i was there, in swetcerland, and i spoke to doctor

they treat 1% patient for tinnitus, mostly other diseases. and success is ca 50% , some nothing like Viking, some 80%.

YOu have to understand there is many types of tinnitus so you must be really lucky to get into this type and that tretment has not to be repeated 2 times (2x30k=60 000€). So well i hope you get me...

Hifu is one type of min 10 type of 500 subtypes of tinnitus

30. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      Hi Christian thank you but i can't understand at all.
      So is HIFU a sort of operation? But what i understand is that it's another scum teraphy for T. Have you try HIFU?
      And do you know viking like a real people or only on internet? I want speak with him but i can't know how can i do.

And what's about you, Christian? Do you have a loud T? Mine is an hissing sound after acoustic trauma, two months ago, but probably chronic, i have lost high freq. in my left ear and is it not reversible. I have try a lot of things but nothing. Just retigabine and gabapentin: I have not tried them, but i will do. T ruined my life and i am 26 with a lot of things to do and a lot of dreams. It could happen a car accident but instead an acoustic accident happened. It's life.

• Agree Agree x 2