HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Surgery

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Nills :)

Looks like things have moved on a bit since I last knew about HIFU.

How successful is it for T - does anyone know? Do they have any stats?

I pass all that criteria. Would be awful to see it, as well as having to hear it.

I saw the Neuro-otologist professor that's heading up the Autifony study at Sheffield Hallamshire today. I'm not on that study btw - had it too long to qualify. But, he said that if it (AUT000063) works they'll market it in 2 years. Shouldn't have put that on this thread I know.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Succes rate vary from 60%-80%and maybe even more but I think they protect themselves from saying this out loud ...also they give you estimate before procedure ... so I think they know what they are doing ... if it is too low they won`t continue.

add your Autifony info quickly to the Aut thread ... have been some pointless discussion going on that you can quiet down now ;)

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Ha ha I will then. Which one is it, can you post the link, there were a few when I just searched.

HIFU success rate still seems a bit low, though good to know they are genuine about your chances and have integrity about deciding on whether to perform it or not. They must know a thing or two about T. We should all be able to get those scans on the NHS in the UK. Perhaps when they've finally cured everything else they'll look at us.

4. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    5. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Can you explain?

6. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Tinnitus Retraining Therapy TRT.
      It can be a positive influence. The problem is insurance wont pay for it and it cost a bunch.
      How is that good? Good if you can get it. Im interested in HIFU treatment for Tinnitus.
      What is this?

7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Viking did HIFU and it didnt work.
      Dont worry, you are not eligible....

8. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      How do you mean... ? he went to Switserland with Sonimodul to do HIFU? ... As far as I know he had an operation and was treated in a different way. Please share what you know about all of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      he couldn't afford HIFU, he had a thalamotomy .

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      This info page seems to be going all over the place. What is the difference between HIFU and the thalamotomy that Viking apparently had instead? thanks

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      hifu is non invasive, thalamotomy requires to drill holes in your skull, insert probes and electricaly burn some areas in the thalamus.

• Agree Agree x 4
    12. passerby
      Lurking

passerby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      God only knows...
      I don't think it is due to my privacy settings. never changed them. Instead it is due to restrictions on my profile for some reason. I was told by another user of tinnitustalk how to PM someone, but I don't have the features the person mentions - see this screen print (if in doubt):

upload_2015-7-24_21-30-1.png

I know where he is...

13. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Can someone please give a categorical answer that they know for 100000 per cent sure where or what is with Viking. Mostly seems to me to be hypothetical murmurs but no one knows for sure. If someone knows for sure can they please just say without all these cloak and dagger comments. Please??!!
      By the way drilling holes in the head sounds ghastly!!!

thank you all

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it is telling that there are literally no happy stories about any of this. If HIFU really worked, or brain surgery, isn't it reasonable to assume you'd find some accounts of this from people who have been through it? Even for things that don't work for a lot of people, like benzos or TRT, it's not hard to find stories of people saying "hey, I did this thing, and it worked and my distress is a lot lower". Meanwhile, none of the invasive brain treatments, so far, appear to have any champions coming forward to say "yes I sliced out a wee bit of my brain and now the ringing is gone".

If anyone ever comes up with an actual cure or highly effective treatment, we won't be sitting around debating whether or not something might possibly work, because the people for whom it has worked will show up in droves to say I GOT BETTER AND SO CAN YOU. Until that happens, I think it's reasonable to assume that none of the experimental treatments out there are actually effective, let alone safe.

• Agree Agree x 5
    15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Not sure that logic applies with this - the 'treatment' is so new and hardly anyone can afford it so that maybe accounts for the lack of anecdotals? Also, didn't it cure Michael J. Fox of this Parkinsons?

I admit I am confused as to whether there is a HIFU treatment in place for Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    16. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      No Michael J Fox still has Parkinsons sadly - what it did was delay the symptoms on set so he had better health for longer inspite of having Parkinsons - at least that is what i understand........

17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      There is. 100%.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      That's good enough for me Dan, thanks for clearing it up.

19. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      There is but it's highly experimental at best.

20. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Did viking get cured of tinnitus after his surgery?

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      if i remember correctly hifu or thalamotomy can treate only one side.

regarding vikings he said he got some changes, alternating frequencies etc and then he disappeared.

we can only extrapolate that he got severe complications and that's why he disappeared, i believe no members of tinnitus talk who genuinely got improvements with an experimental procedure would not say a word about it or write a progress journal.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      no 0%

23. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @M.I.A. ...You misunderstood dan's post. He was merely answering Louise's question as to whether or not there is a HIFU treatment in place for Tinnitus. He was implying, by the 100%, that there definitely is one. There is no mention of the success rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 diagnosed for TCD in 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      Thank you. Could you help me to delete the message?

Thanks

25. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      13.8.2. Stimulation
      The use of deep brain stimulation (DBS) as a treatment in several disorders was recently reviewed (Kringelbach et al. 2007b). DBS has proven to be a successful treatment in some types of pain (Kumar et al. 1997;Nandi et al. 2003;Bittar et al. 2005a,2005b;Rasche et al. 2006;Yamamoto et al. 2006;Kringelbach et al. 2007a) and other instances of TCD, particularly in Parkinson’s disease (Benabid et al. 2003). The effectiveness of this therapy is consistent with the mechanisms postulated above: High-frequency stimulation could raise the resting potential of RT or intralaminar neurons above the level of T-type Ca++channel deinactivation, and thalamic cells switch from bursting to tonic firing. The effectiveness of motor cortex stimulation in treating some cases of neuropathic pain (Carroll et al. 2000;Katayama et al. 2001a,2001b) may be understood as resulting from top-down thalamic depolarization. It should be noted that the qualified success of this approach speaks to the challenge of modifying the thalamocortical loop using a depolarizer effectively situated outside the system. Recent advances using transcranial magnetic stimulation may similarly derive their effectiveness from a temporary rise in thalamocortical resting potential.

Consistent with this view and with the correlation between low-frequency activity and subjective pain experience is the fact that clinical improvement has been correlated with a reduction of low-frequency cortical activity. For example, reduction of neuropathic pain sensation following transcranial magnetic stimulation is concomitant with a reduction of low-frequency activity; pre-existing TCD electrical abnormalities have been attenuated after spinal cord stimulation leading to pain relief (Schulman et al. 2005); and the alleviation of phantom limb pain with DBS is correlated with a reduction of theta- and beta-band activity (Ray et al. 2009). These results are similar to those found in tinnitus cases (Richter et al. 2006;De Ridder et al. 2007). Moreover, such sound masking resulting in the disappearance of the tinnitus is accompanied by the marked reduction, or total abolition, of the low-frequency signature at the auditory cortex (Tyler 2000;Llinas et al. 2005).

sò... sound masking (probably TRT) have the same criterion of Focused ultrasound treatment?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK57255/

26. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      But TRT does NOT change one thing about your physical T symptoms it only changes your **reaction** to it.

BTW T is a physical disorder/ailment. Unless you have imaginary T which is a psychological problem and could be treated by any psychologist.

Probably, or the very few that had a chunk of their brain removed just carried on. And simply forgot that there are other sufferers out there suffering. But then again there's psychotherapy, which works for most T patients, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Banana its not a chunk, u know that...its less than 1mm square area lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    28. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      Thank you @NiNyu i'm tring to find an explanation for my double fus treatment without success. I have to wait until the legal action is completed to receive the third and final treatment without having to pay the full amount (considering the results and the approach totally arbitrary) Only now, searching on various website about the thalamocortical circuit, i'm understunding that this problem is much more ingrained compared to what I had been dreaming. The thalamus is showing to be much less involved in the developing and maintenace of tinnitus. It is an immense network. From the cortex to the hyppocampus.... from the conscious to the inconscious perception...passing between the self noise cancelling system of the brain.....and more more more others... my tinnitus are algorithms feel me drunky

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fneur.2015.00124/full

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0053180

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25875099

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26106362

Attached Files:

29. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What exactly do you mean by your double fus treatment - have you had the hifu procedure with Dr.Jeanmonod?

30. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      Yeh 2 times

• Informative Informative x 1