How Damaging Are Blow Dryers to Hearing and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jadebug, Aug 20, 2017.

1. jadebug
      Depressed

jadebug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial-Aug 2011 Increase- May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; possibly antidepressants
      I finally got my hair done today which was definitely much needed. My salon is very quiet and they don't play any loud music. However, I did have it blow dried and I wasn't able to wear ear plugs.

The blow dryer seemed quite quiet compared to the ones I've used in the past. How damaging are blow dryers really? I don't think my tinnitus is noise induced and my tinnitus doesn't seem too much different but I'm really worried? Would exposure to a blow dryer for around 15 minutes cause any damage?

I've been very careful with my ears but I'm scared this is gonna set me back and prevent my tinnitus from going away. In the future I will use plugs to avoid future anxiety over this issue but I forgot them this time.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @jadebug,
      You should be fine so don't worry.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jadebug
      Depressed

jadebug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial-Aug 2011 Increase- May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; possibly antidepressants
      Thank you Glynis! I know I'm probably worrying for nothing and since I don't really notice an increase that's a positive sign. Thanks for the reassurance it was much needed since my anxiety seems to be playing tricks on me today! Hope you're doing well!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      I was wearing rubber earplugs (SNR24). The hair dryer by my head was probably around 90 dB for roughly 1 to 2 minutes.

Kind of worried now, was this safe? Could it have done damage?

• Creative Creative x 1
    5. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Probably didn't do much damage, if any, if you were wearing earplugs. I've gotten a cut/blow dry before without earplugs. My tinnitus spiked for a day or so, but then it was back to normal. I think you'll be fine!

6. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      @Orions Pain could probably comment on this.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What about haircuts and barbers using razors? If one uses earplugs, is it better (despite bone conduction?)?

Or should pick no razor at all?

Or is it safe to allow some razor use?

I guess these questions were asked here before?

8. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If your tinnitus isn’t noise induced, doesn’t tend to spike with loud noises and the blow dryer wasn’t loud then I don’t think it would cause issues! Non-noise induced people get MRI’s and those things are well over 100 dB for 30 min to an hour and they’re don’t experience spikes.

Blow dryers also vary in volume and can range anywhere from 70 dB to being close to/over 100 dB. It depends how long your hair takes to blow dry too! But I think you’re okay :)

9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Even without plugs I don't think it would have done any damage actually.

10. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      Since I got hyperacusis I tell them to only use manual tools for the hair cut. For shaving I also use only a manual tool. Razor is too loud.

11. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Do you mean eletric razor? I think it's completely fine. The noise at your ear level must be 70 something dbs. I believe the average tinnitus (even noise induced) sufferer's ear can sustain that for hours without any risk.

Hair shavers can be a bit louder (mine is measured at 75-80 dB at ear level) but I don't think it is dangerous either.

12. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I know this is a late reply but I have a haircut appointment tomorrow.

Yes, I meant electric razor/shaver and electric hair clippers/trimmer (that barbers use).

Anybody agree with this guy? :)

I guess researchers or audiologists never study this stuff?

Even if someone with severe tinnitus can sustain this noise so close to the ears, I am still worried about a spike.

I think a spike is inevitable but I hope I don't get one. My t has been extra horrible lately. I am afraid the noise from my TV contributed to a spike but then sometimes I am not 100% sure which sound because my area is noisy in general. Some loud noises do nothing, others just cause ear pain which can last a hour to a day to several days. Other noises or sounds seems to definitely result in a spike or intensified tinnitus in which the tones go completely crazy. I hope someone knows what I mean. :(

EDIT:

I read a bunch of haircut/shaver/clipper "what should I do" threads just now.

I plan on bringing my foam earplugs. Even if they're not inserted to muffle/block sound, 100%, I think it might be better to put up with (some) occlusion effect. The clippers seem pretty professional so I think they probably aren't made with silence or low noise in mind.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      I don't know. I don't pay much attention to decibel levels of each individual event I find myself in, or product I use, so I can't tell you whether I agree or disagree with @Julien87's hypothesis here.

What I can tell you, is that I regularly get my haircut and allow my hairdresser to use both scissors and clippers, and sometimes when I feel like it, I just ask for a full shave with the clippers (because it's nice to be able to wake up in the morning and not have to style your hair).

I wear foam earplugs every time (obviously circumvent the hair washing, and just do that myself at home) (also, no need for a hair dryer, as my hair is dry before, during and after the cut) and rarely end up with a spike (if I do, it's usually small and only lasts a day or two).

My opinion in your case, however, @PeteJ, is that you currently seem to be in a bad place with your tinnitus and appear to be suffering heightened reactivity. In your position, I'd be inclined to visit or hire to your home, a hairdresser. Wear foam earplugs, and ask them to cut your hair only with scissors (as I did for the years when I was where you are at). Then in the future, when you're in a better place, you can follow my example and just go full 'Football Hooligan' with a pair of clippers.

14. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Right. I've never been near a professional clipper, it may be louder.

Anyway, you are right to bring foam earplugs. I tried once with custom made silicone earplugs and the noise of the shaver against the skin was really annoying.

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, I can imagine. I used foam earplugs in the shower for a while and it was annoying but the shower noise was so loud. The water hitting you and just shampooing etc. was really annoying with the occlusion effect.

I suppose clippers are even worse.

I moved to a new place and the current shower is less noisy.

16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      @Julien87, @Damocles:

Everything went well... as well as it could go, I guess. I got the haircut done mostly with scissors and just before the clippers were used, I inserted my foam earplugs. I intentionally didn't put them in properly. The occlusion effect was minimal and could only feel it when the clippers were really close to my ears. Two different clippers were used. One was noticeably louder but neither bothered me. I think the earplugs muffled the sound just enough for a balance.

I also had a shave too and had earplugs in for that as well.

I wanted it short in case we are locked down again which I expect to happen before the end of the year.

So, if anyone else is reading this and is not sure what to do, it worked for me and I have loud/severe tinnitus so...

A large truck drove by me after I was home and outside walking the dog but that's a different story/problem! F***!

:-{

17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      @Julien87, @Damocles, and anyone else is welcome to comment and reply.

I'm getting a shave today. I let myself go and have a bit of a beard. I'll use my razors so it doesn't grow next time.

Barbers weren't allowed to shave because of COVID-19 but now restrictions are lifted.

Planning to wear my foam earplugs but the bone conduction is still loud - do you guys just tolerate this?

It's the same thing with dental work. The foam plugs just lead to the bone conduction noise. Is this safer?

I'm gonna buy a cheap trimmer eventually because I think the barbers will be shut down again - eventually. But, for now...

P.S. I almost forgot... I have a pretty bad spike now - very common - but, the shaves and dental cleans always leads to spikes for me anyway.

Do you guys get spikes after haircuts, shaves or dental work?