How Do You Find Forgiveness When Your Tinnitus Was Caused by Another Person/Source?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vicki14, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Worse than being falsely imprisoned for 13 years, having your father die of hunger and losing your true love Mercedes? He did get out in the end though and got REVENGE

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My own severe tinnitus was caused by a ‘musician’ who clearly abandoned his responsibility to ‘a duty of care’ by blasting off in my face in a fit of Aspergers anger.
      The primary instinct of such dangerous people is to morph any frustration into immediate anger.
      (Aspergers people are frequently control freaks, by the way.
      Hence their frustration leading to anger when things do not go their way.)
      I have not directly accused him - though I hope and suspect that he knows.
      I left his band, never used him again in my own combos, and have no wish to reacquaint with him.
      He is the source of my pain,
      physical, emotional, financial etc..

I have not forgiven him - to say that I have would be a hypocritical lie - however I do not hate him.
      His intention was not to injure me, but an act determined by his aggressive nature, which, coupled to our own acoustic fragility led to injury.

Whenever I write in Facebook about tinnitus, I always remind the jazz fraternity that everybody should adopt a ‘duty of care’ to those working with them, and keep their own volume output under control.
      This is perhaps the most positive action that I can take.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      The real kicker is that some people can expose themselves to loud noise for years and will never ever hear a single peep of T. I grew up in a world of insane noise and nobody ever mentioned this affliction and I certainly never met or heard of anyone openly suffering from it. Equally I have a friend in a band and he had to ask me what tinnitus was and then presumed I was being treated with a cure and would be back to normal in no time. Does he wear earplugs on stage even now? Nope. Because this is one of those weird things that happens to other people.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Hiya, got a question. Did he blast you off by shouting in a 'sperg anger or did he use a guitar amplifier set to maximum volume or whatt? Sorry for even asking and like you kno, just curious to know

5. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Don't lose hope my man..!! mine took like 5 years for them T and H to go "away" (but ye the tinnitus was replaced with chronic pain issues lol so it's a +-0). Then was quiet time and enjoying life without ear issues (only with the dang back pain etc though). Whatcha drinking? + how old is Bam?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe
      Send the doctor a letter iwith your feelings about him and don’t hold back then make sure you rate him/her poorly every chance you get. Remember what goes around comes around. Then forget about it and let karma take care of business.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you @Finnigan - I’ve done both! I just hope Karma takes care of it now! x

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Bam - for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Jazzer - one for you!

10. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe
      I know exactly how you feel except that my so called “expert” went to jail for something else and lost his license in that state then went to another state to practice medicine after he got out. That POS will see karma too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      As I edged away from his vile volume he thrashed a ‘godsorsaken fucking banjo’ as loud as he could, saying “you keep fucking moving away!”
      I had attempted to defend myself, but in that instant, All was lost.
      I lost everything - except my sanity.
      You may or may not agree?

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      was the banjo amplified?

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I didn't wanna go because i didn't know the band, i hated the location, and because loud venues weren't my thing anymore. The irony was that they drove me there the night previous but then we realized we came a day early (my friends got the date messed up)...so we ended up just sitting on the sidewalk playing cards for a few hours.

I should have taken that as a sign that i shouldnt be going =[

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      It was a tiny room the size of your living room, and it was so loud my wine glass was moving across the table on its own. It was the loudest thing i have ever heard in my life, and I've been to a chinese firecracker festival lol

• Hug Hug x 4
    15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      A problem I see is that if charges are never brought, things will never change. Which leads to other people having to go through what we've had to endure. Tough sometimes to know what the answer is.
      Interesting the tradeoffs that come to mind for many of us. For a while, I thought I'd be happy to trade off some of my screaching tinnitus for--hopefully--a bit softer and more tolerable pulsatile tinnitus. Then I had an experience just a couple days ago where I was bending my neck back to put a drop of essential oil in my mouth. The drop wasn't coming out, so I was in that position for 15-20 seconds.

All of a sudden I started to get dizzy and immediately sat down. Then a horrible fullness began to fill in my left ear. And then I got hit with a pulsatile tinnitus I had never experienced before (and never imagined how awful it could be). I had read some people saying how pulsatile tinnitus was the worst of all their symptoms, and in that moment I felt I could fully understand where they were coming from.

Sort of like most people when hearing about our tinnitus; they'll never know what we go through, and that won't change until they experience it themselves. -- I felt unbelievably grateful my experience with PT lasted only about 1-2 minutes, though it felt like an eternity at the time. I absolutely have a new found empathy for those who suffer from it 24/7.
      I don't even think I know what it might mean to "forgive" somebody. But I have a much better sense of what it means to not hate somebody. Don't know exactly how they're connected, but I think if we can learn not to hate somebody, we've taken a big step on the way to forgiveness--if that's even a desirable outcome.
      From what I feel I've learned about life, is that there's not even a need to hope. I've come to assume karma does take care of things in the end, so there's really no need to have any concern about it. Another important thing I feel I've learned, is that karma is never vindictive. But instructive only.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I totally agree with your words and I had a similar experience with a surgery gone wrong. What was the drug you took can I ask?

17. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No John - but right in my face and ‘thrashed!’

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      That is horrible. My T was also induced by horrendously loud "music" (not a single ear problem prior, ever). The people responsible for these reprehensible acoustic assaults (and that's really what they are) are beyond all words.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    19. coffee_girl
      Innocent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I honestly think there should be a law against it, assault by sound lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If after finding out about tinnitus and what can cause it he doesn't seem to care, I sincerely hope that he gets it and Gets it Good.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I see your point but he’s a nice guy just lives in a bubble.....like everyone until the shit properly hits the fan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      So sorry to hear that. Everything does have its risks, but unfortunately, doctors do a very poor job of describing those risks.
      A single 25 mg. dose of Promethazine, also known as Phenergen. It's classified as an anti-cholinergic drug, which blocks acetylcholine receptors from uptaking acetylcholine. These receptors are located throughout the body, and concentrated in certain parts like the gut, the brain, and the inner ears. Here's a just a partial listing of the potential side effects (I bolded the ones I experienced). -- Notice they put "ringing in the ears" under the "less serious" category. Aaargh! :banghead:

Possible side effects

They may include an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Also the most possible side effects include:
      twitching, or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;
      tremor (uncontrolled shaking), drooling, trouble swallowing, problems with balance or walking;
      feeling restless, jittery, or agitated;
      high fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing;
      feeling like you might pass out;
      seizure (convulsions);
      pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, sore throat, flu symptoms;
      decreased night vision, tunnel vision, watery eyes, increased sensitivity to light;
      hallucinations, agitation;
      nausea and stomach pain, skin rash, and jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
      urinating less than usual or not at all;
      joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, chest pain, vomiting, unusual thoughts or behavior, and patchy skin color; or
      slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, slow breathing (breathing may stop).

Less serious include:

dizziness, drowsiness, anxiety;
      blurred vision, dry mouth, stuffy nose;
      ringing in your ears;
      weight gain, swelling in your hands or feet;
      impotence, trouble having an orgasm; or
      constipation.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks and I agree it’s crazy ear ringing is listed as a minor effect. Clinical trials etc might only have acknowledged it as a temporary one. Re my surgery, what annoyed me was I asked in detail about the risk I fell foul of and was assured it wasn’t an issue. After years of patient safety campaigning it is obvious that when patients fall foul of a risk after a treatment denial of a link by medics is very common, possibly to try to avoid legal liability, and they are not great at warning of risks either. The law round medical consent ie warning of risks was pretty slack in the uk til the 2015 Montgomery ruling. Not sure of US law.

• Hug Hug x 2
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Jazzer

That’s truly awful, why on God’s earth would someone do that? What a moron! It’s devastating his idiotic actions have left you suffering like this! It’s truly criminal! x

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unbelievable!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My tinnitus and hyperacusis was caused by a careless coworker that blasted my ears. After he permanently damaged my hearing, he was more concerned with not getting in trouble for it at work than about the damage he had done. He was even wearing hearing plugs when he did it and there was no reason to be wearing hearing plugs in that area. It wasn't just the coworker... I was threatened by management to not talk about my injury or symptoms.

It took a long time to move on (over 2 years), and I didn't fully move on until I changed jobs and got away from the person and environment, but it wasn't until I did that I started to accept my tinnitus. Before I was just angry all the time and with that anger my tinnitus was all I could think about.

• Hug Hug x 7
    27. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Disgusting. Less serious?!! Are they fucking mad?!? Any drug or procedure with even a tiny possibility of causing this should be scrapped ASAP.

• Agree Agree x 4
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Flipping heck @Alue - that’s brutal. I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s disgusting how it’s covered up and no responsibility is taken for this. It sucks having a hidden condition that folk can easily kick under the carpet. I’m so glad you’re doing better though! Xx

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a kiss on the ear
      It really is... I sometimes try and remind myself it could be worse, but really could it? I honestly don't know. I've had this discussion with multiple people and its always... "I can't imagine, well at least you're not paralyzed." Sure I'm ambulatory, but is my life really all that much better? When you look at quality of life I see it being somewhat equivalent... or maybe I've just suffered for so long now and every other ailment seems to be somewhat of a relief and I think about all the people who would trade places with me in a heart beat and then I feel even more pathetic. Its a vicious cycle that never ends. Thank you for your support. I've read your story and I'm really sorry this happened to you. It seems as if we were both making our way through life just fine. I never in a million years felt like this was the way my life was going to "end." I would like to say its nice to know I'm not alone, but really it's not. I would NEVER wish this on anyone. My heart breaks for myself, but just as much for everyone else.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1